★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple releases keyword guidelines

09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Apple releases keyword guidelines

After having several apps rejected for bad keywords and asking what Apple what the guidelines actually were they have finally released the info to developers.

https://developer.apple.com/iphone/n...g_Keywords.pdf

Make sure your keywords are within the guidelines are you will get rejected.

Good luck.
09-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
After having several apps rejected for bad keywords and asking what Apple what the guidelines actually were they have finally released the info to developers.

https://developer.apple.com/iphone/n...g_Keywords.pdf

Make sure your keywords are within the guidelines are you will get rejected.

Good luck.
FINALLY! Damn them. I just used the guidelines to update my keywords... I'd never entered any in for my existing game. Figured it would be better to wait for the dust to settle or an official guide to appear. Looks like the just turned off description searching for apps like mine with no keywords to force us off the fence so this is perfect timing... (If you left them blank it would fall back to your description for search, at least up until a day or so ago, I kept checking mine)

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Really wish this info was available earlier.

Bill, did the rejected apps have to go back to the beginning of the review line and take a couple weeks to get approved or was it relatively quick?

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
09-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jones View Post
Really wish this info was available earlier.

Bill, did the rejected apps have to go back to the beginning of the review line and take a couple weeks to get approved or was it relatively quick?
From what I'm hearing, it's all the way back to the beginning.
09-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
From what I'm hearing, it's all the way back to the beginning.
Say it isn't so...

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |
09-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Any chance I can read that without registering as a developer or is it supposed to be a secret?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Here is a bit of it for the non devs

Quote:
Considerations When Assigning Keywords For Your Application
When entering keywords for your application, it is important you keep the following in mind:
• Keywords can be single words or phrases and the text field is limited to 100 characters. Separate multiple keywords with commas for best results.
• Keywords cannot contain offensive or objectionable words/phrases. • You do not need to include your App Name & Company/Artist Name in your list
of keywords as the are already searchable. • Do not include keywords of other applications including your own app or use
terms, product names, brand names, or entities that are registered trademarks which you do not own the rights to.
September 3, 2009
• Using keywords that are specific to your app enhances the user experience, so when a customer searches for “spreadsheet” the results returned do not contain tip calculator, sudoku, etc.
• You are permitted to assign a keyword that also appears in your application description as long as it represents an aspect of your application. For example, if you enter your official keywords as "motorcycle, racing, fast" for your app in iTunes Connect in the Keywords text field and save this information, your search will not be negatively affected if your application description still says "Driving your motorcycle fast with this racing app is exhilarating!" The application would be searchable by "motorcycle", "racing", "fast", your company name and the application name.
All keyword submissions with a new binary will be reviewed by Apple. If you misuse keywords, your app may be rejected and you will be asked to edit your keywords before you can resubmit your app for review.
Be sure that you enter accurate keywords for your initial submission because keywords can only be edited when submitting an application update or if your application is in the “Rejected” or “Developer Rejected”” state.
There ya go!

Drunk Stowaway on the Front page Tugboat! Join Here!
Beta Tested: Parallelus, Koala Dartz, Never ending Defending, Golden Sun, Secret app (x2), Earth Vs. Moon, Somba app, Copa! Shameless copying of Kamazar's Sig
iFallout Incident 09/ THE SEARCH FOR THE WATER FILTER! EPIC!/The Craigslist Event
09-06-2009, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Here is a bit of it for the non devs

There ya go!
Thanks man !

is that all there is ? I also am unable to access the page although I am registered on the Dev site... guess it is only for people who actually posses the license...
09-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jones View Post
Say it isn't so...
Wish I could.
09-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little White Bear Studios View Post
Wish I could.
I posted the juicy bits, the rest is about the application of these and such and an overview of keywords.

Drunk Stowaway on the Front page Tugboat! Join Here!
Beta Tested: Parallelus, Koala Dartz, Never ending Defending, Golden Sun, Secret app (x2), Earth Vs. Moon, Somba app, Copa! Shameless copying of Kamazar's Sig
iFallout Incident 09/ THE SEARCH FOR THE WATER FILTER! EPIC!/The Craigslist Event