Is iPhone 5 ALREADY OUTDATED?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Hambo12, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    So iphone 5 came out only 2 years ago but I see some of theses games run on iPhone 5s and higher now. do you really think iphone 5 is outdated and now it seems like iPhone 5s is getting outdated it's like you will always have to upgrade to the newest every year sigh

2. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Curious which games. I've not seen that yet and I have a five.

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #3 coolpepper43, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    That's how it goes. Ya, I think the 5 is outdated well not that much, I'd say the 5c is most definitely outdated. I've had 4 phones since then, jk. ;) :D

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Nah, I don't think so. Now, if we were talking about the 4S...

5. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yes. You are practically a caveman.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What games are you talking about ?

I've got an iphone 4s and buy a LOT of games, mostly been okay, The Wild seems to be the first game i wont be able to really play when thats out.

If people keep buying new phones then devs will create games for those, if people kept their phones for a bit longer then devs would have to make sure the older models are catered for.

I've got more than enough games to play/complete IF suddenly all new games were for iphone 6 only or something

7. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    zen garden work only on 5s+...

8. teamSkyfish

teamSkyfish Active Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Making Games
    United Kingdom
    Apple recently announced (well couple of months ago) that iPhone 4 is no longer supports new ios releases. So no ios 8 can be installed on iphone 4 . Thus, I would argue that iphone 4 is the outdated ios device so far. iPhone 4s should be the next one on the line. So your iphone 5 should still run for atleast another 2 years. Then again, these are my thoughts, In the end its all up to Apple. Regardless the case your iphone 5 is not outdated just yet.

9. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    Really, I think that my mom's iPhone 6 is waaaay ahead of the game.

10. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Dude just get a PS VITA or 3DS and leave the idevices alone forever...;)

11. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    If you hate iOS devices, than, why do you have a Game Center Account?

12. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I think when the major carriers stop carrying the device then its no longer current. So iPhone 5 is out though 5c is still barely in. But that doesn't matter. It's up to the devs to decide what hardware and iOS version they'll support. It's entirely possible to make games that'll run on ios8, 7, 6, heck even 5 and below and support as many platforms as you want. But devs aren't all capable of figuring out how to compile games and they'll leave out devices that can run their games because they want to use an ios7 feature and don't understand how to enable and disable features based on ios version installed.

Anyway in the end expect fewer game to support your I device the longer you own it. Even simple 2d platformers. Because let's face it not all devs can code at low levels and create great game engines that need few resources. So they use middleware that uses tons of resources to do simple stuff. Stuff that worked back in the day on a z80 processor with almost no resources.

So yeah ultimately everything  is a black hole of cost. They lure you in with cheap games and it being the popular platform then you get stuck in the upgrade cycle or risk being left behind even on games you already bought.

13. emilyheming

emilyheming Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Is iPhone 5 ALREADY OUTDATED?

Yes, Its been only two years since iPhone came in the market and now it has become outdated with the emerging market of iPhone6 and iPhone 6 Plus anlong with the trending iOS.

14. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Still have an ancient iPad2 running on iOS8 lol.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I love iOS gaming but i'm not going to be a 'sheep' and just constantly buy a new device every single year.

I got enough use out of my ipod touch 5th gen, bought a second hand iphone 4 which was good (but then eventually games wouldnt run/would crash on it) but i've had an iphone 4s (64 gig - £200 off ebay, i pay £14 a month for unlimited internet) for quite some time now and its been brilliant. I'll update to a 5 soon once prices drop but i'm just a gamer, i dont care for fingerprint sensors or Siri (always have that turned off)

Quite happy to be a generation or two behind.

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #16 crunc, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    How well does iOS 8 run on the iPad 2? That's what I have and I'm hesitant to update for fear it will not run well.

I had an iPhone 4 until upgrading to the iPhone 6. The 4 ran most games fine, but not all games. Pivvot didn't work well at first, but then the dev put up an update that helped it a ton and then it worked great. I don't play many games on my iPhone any more, though. I installed a bunch of games on my 6 and have really only played PathPix. LOL.

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Still waiting for Hambo to answer these questions. Are you following your thread Hambo?

18. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I had a 4s until a couple of weeks ago and since iOS 7 it has been limping as far as multitasking goes.

That said it still managed to run any apps I threw at it - and the iPhone 5 has twice the RAM so I'm sure it'll have more longevity than the 4s had.

19. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    It's not outdated at all. It's not the best iOS gaming device but that doesn't make it the worse...

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    iPad 4 here, it's noticeably less zippy. I can't imagine it's much better for a 2nd gen iPad.