iPhone 6+ or Note 4 - help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Chocolate, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    #1 Chocolate, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    I'd like to get people's thoughts here.

I've owned several iPad and iPod Touches over the years, and have a huge collection of iOS apps. But because my eyes are poor I bought a Note 2 a few years ago as my phone for the big screen. I liked it a lot, and recently upgraded to a Note 4 just a few days ago.

But now I'm having some second thoughts. I played with an iPhone 6+ in the store and really liked it, especially now the screen is big enough for my bad close up vision. And it occurred to me that if I had an iPhone then I could play all my apps on it. I have until next Friday to switch to an iPhone+ instead, so I need to decide what I really want.

My main uses for a smartphone are: phone (obviously), messaging, email, web browsing, and games.

I've rarely used the Note's stylus, so don't think that would be missed. I do really like Android's keyboard choices and widgets a lot. And emulators on Android are very good, but I think I'd prefer access to app games over emulated games.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Really like to get some opinions and advice, especially from anyone else who may have faced the same type of choice.

ALSO: can anyone answer these questions about iOS on iPhones for me:

1) Can iPhones show you previews of latest emails/messages on the lock screen?
    2) Can iPhone's keyboard have haptic feedback when you press a key?
    3) Are there any iOS 8 keyboard options to have period and/or numbers available without shifting?
    4) Do old iOS apps still mostly work OK in iOS 8? On an iPhone 6+?

2. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Im not even going to talk about specs with this one. So basically it goes down to do you like simplicity and beauty with iOS. Or so many features that some are pointless. Ios has many more premium apps games or music and is easy and android... not so much. But android defiantly has many good features that iphone don't even have. If it we're me I would have a Note 4 with IOS stuff.

3. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    ME TOO!!! :p

I would pay extra for that. LOL. If only it existed. :)

4. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Yeah just once Apple and Samsung work together for like iPhone Galaxy S6 + or something and boom awesome :)

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Can see why it's a tough one but it's more about if you want Android or IOS more than the phone choice in truth and your the only one who knows what will make you happier. I'd say both are really great phones but both are also pretty huge but I can't really talk because I'm using an LG G3 now.

I'd go for the Note 4 personally based mostly on the slightly larger Quad HD screen and slightly smaller size mostly but then again I tend to watch a lot of media on my devices I also like the IR blaster on my phones now

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, me too. That's why right now I have an ipad4 for all that the IOS has to offer AND a Note3! Best of everything! You CAN have it all!!!:D I like to play around in both worlds!

7. sabre31

sabre31 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Agreed with posters here I wish Android had all the games that iPhone has. For apps I am OK with as most apps I use have an Android version or equivalent. I just got an iPhone 6+ and switched from Android. Originally I was all iPhone since the 3GS but the small screen just made it impossible to type or play games on so I switched to Android and had Note 2, Note 3, S4, S5, Nexus 5, and G3 and now that I am on iPhone with the bigger screen I miss android way more and Samsung does not do justice to Android I like Samsung overall but man after trying the latest Android 5.0 Build on Nexus 5 just WOW the new Android is just beautiful to use and look at I honestly think it kills iOS in every aspect including aesthetics and fluidity it's just a shame that folks on Samsung, LG, etc won't see it for 8 months and will be skinned to death. This is why I am getting a Nexus 6 as soon as it is out. I will use my iPhone 6+ as backup and I do have iPad Air for iOS apps.

As an OS Android is just so much better with customization, keyboards, sharing among apps and widgets and Android 5.0 brings all the speed and eye candy but unless you are on a Nexus or Moto X you won't see it for 5+ months.

Best of both worlds if you can afford it get an iPad for iOS games/apps and an Note 4 or Nexus 6 for phone.

8. Handle

Handle Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    UK
    Note 4.

Although personally I'm going for the Nexus 6 which is a powerhouse, slightly concerned it might be too big but I'll happily learn the hard way.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    1 - yes
    2 - I don't think so, but it's horrible so I can't imagine anyone wanting it
    3 - if you go for a third party keyboard then yes on the period (I'm using Swiftkey) - I don't know about numbers
    4 - yes, but if they're not optimised they may look a bit blurry

10. iPhones iOS

iPhones iOS Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Rochester, New York
    #10 iPhones iOS, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    iPhone 6+, of course. I love Apple!
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. I'd choose Swype ($0.99 on The App Store). It's awesome! I have it on my Droid, although I wish it were an iPhone!
    4. Yes, they might not work right, though if they are not optimized.

11. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks to everyone who answered. :)

I'm still deciding, but leaning toward iPhone 6+ because of the apps. I have so many iOS apps and there are so many more I wish I could have on my phone.

If I do get the iPhone 6+ I will also still have my old Note 2 (and I also own a Shield, yes I love gadgets) so I will still have Android as well. But the iPhone would be my daily driver. Anyway, that's what I'm thinking right now... I still have a week to really decide. :eek:

12. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I have to go to the Apple Store to see what they will do about my iphone 6 plus sigh. Hope you think soon because it takes 3-4 weeks for iPhone 6 plus to delier

13. Chocolate

Jan 10, 2010
    Ok, made my final decision.

I'm keeping the Note 4 and bought an iPad Air 2 for iOS apps. :)

14. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Good choice on that iPad Air 2. Was going to says since this is a game site, that the 6+ would have better performance on games then the android counterpart but since you have an iPad Air 2 that wouldn't matter at all.

15. JARVIS42

JARVIS42 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Nice! Now, you have the best of both worlds!

16. Mighty Dragon Studios

Mighty Dragon Studios Active Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Games Developer
    The App Stores
    Note 4 is a beast of a phone without a doubt. In my humble opinion Apple really disappointed with their 6'ish series of iPhones. And not only I mean the iBend function on 6+. I would get Note 4 and maybe some iPad if you want both of the worlds available to you.