Best SRPG's on the Appstore

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by heringer, Oct 28, 2014.

1. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    What are your favorite iOS SRPG's?

FFT is the best, imo. Soon I will start The Banner Saga, and I'm pretty hyped for it.

As for games originally made for mobile, I think Tactics Maiden is probably the best. What do you guys think?

2. footnote

footnote Active Member

May 12, 2012
    Tactical Warrior and LostStar tactics take my #1 & 2 spots by far. They have not and will not be deleted from my phone.

After that (for 3, 4 and 5) I would say Partia (just started the second one, so I'm only counting the first) Princess and Knight and Mysterious Castle.

FFT takes 6

Finally the Mangobile games 7, 8 and 9 (I haven't played much of tactics maiden though)

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Warhammer Quest
    Battleheart
    XCOM Enemy Unknown
    FFT
    Skulls of the Shogun
    Heroes & Castles

And the old premium version of Rune Raiders before it became freemium.

4. defunct32

defunct32 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    So far Records of Agarest War has kept me busy, I like it.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Skulls of the Shogun is pretty great. I also have a lot of appreciation for the Kingturn/Tactics Maiden games, though they're missing a certain something. FFT is pretty darned good, but I wish SE would port over that PSP remake of Tactics Ogre, cuz that's some spicy chicken right there. XCOM is, of course, great, but without the expansion, it feels like it's better to play it on another platform. Princess And Knight surprised me by how good it was, and I would also like to say that Heroes of Steel has come a very long way since I reviewed it.

In the thread that spawned this, I was asked what a Fire Emblem fan is to do for sustenance on iOS, and I don't think there's a good answer. Even the Partia games, which nakedly homage it, don't get all the elements in place.

Nice reading these recommendations, though. My favorite thing about the App Store is that there's always *something* cool I haven't played that comes up in conversations like these.

6. Tone1978

Tone1978 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    I'm totally in to srpg lol ever since advance wars and original game boy advance fire emblem.. I bought it by accident and couldn't believe how much I loved it.. Advance wars dual was cool too. This is now my fav thread lol. Party on fellow srpg fans

Tony

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am in agreement with Tactics Maiden being a standout. World to Conquer, Partia, and Battle for Wesnoth are good too. Hunted Cow Studios have some good ones.

8. footnote

footnote Active Member

May 12, 2012
    I would love to see Tactics Ogre ported over, or better yet Front Mission 3.

I agree about Princess and Knight, it completely surprised me. Despite the rough translations, the tactics/planning required for each battle are balanced perfectly.

On a sad note, the Dev James Pawliuk of Tactical Warrior seems to have vanished since 2012, I wish he would produce another game.

On the topic of things we will never see, World Without End looked beautiful, but I think that project lost it's life. Oh well.

9. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Shining Force is the one I'm playing at the moment.

Thanks

10. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm going to try banner saga after I play this slime game once it's translated :)

FFT is my ultimate favourite though

11. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Record of Agarest war Zero is out on ANDRIOD and will be on your iOS device soon ;)

12. defunct32

defunct32 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please let this be real!

13. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Would a man named after a soldier piglet lie? I think not.

14. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    FFT could be numero uno. I dunno about Record of Agarest War, since it kept crashing when i was about to start playing it on iOS 8.1. But the fix just came out so...

15. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Good call! LostStar Tactics is pretty good. I'm yet to play the expansion though.

I didn't like Partia to be honest. It's way too slow, and the AI isn't very bright. It tries to emulate Fire Emblem but lacks almost everything that defines Fire Emblem.

I'm tempted to get Princess and Knight, but from what I saw of the description, screenshots and trailer, the translation is pretty botched, so I'll probably wait for a better translation (which is supposedly coming?).

Never heard of Mysterious Castle, but judging from what I found on the Appstore it's a dungeon crawler, no?

You should spend more time with Tactics Maiden. The gameplay is rock solid and the AI is amazing, always thinking in the end game instead of simply attacking units in range.The presentation is still sub par, but it's a huge step up from Kingturn.

I'm sure it will come eventually. It just makes too much sense not to. But then again, it's SE we're talking about.

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Now that you guys mentioned Tactics Ogre, i hope Ogre Tactics gets ported as well.

17. nbehre11

nbehre11 Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks for the fire emblem reply Shaun! Those games are just too good. I'll check some of those suggestions out.

18. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    tons of good games mentioned. but nobody gots love for spectral souls or blazing souls? they are both good. also siralim.

its sad that i already own all of the games mentioned in this thread, but haven't beaten any of them. 'cept fft and that was on ps1.

19. nbehre11

nbehre11 Active Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Swords of Anima looks like it has potential. Should be released soon too according to their Twitter.

20. heringer

Oct 2, 2011
    Oooohh, this one looks really promising!