★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Would you guys buy this? Game controller

09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Would you guys buy this? Game controller

The iphone has a lot of potential for taking over the handheld gaming industy, but the problem is the controls. There are many iphone games that are pretty awesome but I can't seem to get myself to enjoy them because the controls suck too bad. Examples, Hero of Sparta, Assasin's Creed, RE4, etc... Using the touch screen controls mar an otherwise great mobile platform. I think that the if the iphone had an add on that made games easier and better to play, many people would buy it and they would overtake the DS. While I know that there is already a contoller add on in the works from a 3rd party development team, I saw it and thought that it could be much better.

Here is my idea of a controller add-on with a picture of it below. First of all, I think that it needs not one, but two analog sticks. This will set it apart from the PSP, and will also make it great for FPS games, which is probably the most popular Genre. I also think that it only really needs 5 buttons in all; A,B, Start, L, R. Anything else could be done using the touch screen. But most importantly it needs the inclusion of a battery pack. People would not mind using their phone for gaming as much if there was an extra battery pack. Here is a picture of what I think that the controller add on should be (I was too lazy and used paint, instead of photoshop, and only used my touchpad instead of a mouse and so it looks kinda sloppy).

The iphone has a lot of things going for it. The graphics are great, and from my understanding, the new ones are even stronger than a PSP. There are already millions of people who own it. And it people who buy it can pretty much get 3 things in one; phone/ipod/game handheld. If Apple makes this add-on, I think that the iphone can dominate the gaming market. What do you guys think? Would you buy this add-on.

Last edited by 20happyballs; 09-07-2009 at 09:49 PM.
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes!

Tester of over 30 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudgenudge View Post
Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Only if games will be made compatible with the controller, I hope it catches on

Let's ponder our existences!
09-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Yes! Most FPS's use two virtual controllers so this would help a lot. :0

I found this, but it's just a concept:

Last edited by DrMonkey; 09-07-2009 at 10:20 AM.
09-07-2009, 10:15 AM
No... I would either play my DS or buy a PSP for games that needed that. I bought my iPod Touch for the simplicity.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
09-07-2009, 10:23 AM
yeah, I said I saw one of those before but I thought that it could be better. Also, I meant that Apple should make one themselves and pour heavy advertisement on it. That way more people will buy the iphone, more developers will support the add-on, and more game developers will support the iphone.
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20happyballs View Post
yeah, I said I saw one of those before but I thought that it could be better.
Does anyone know why after a year there is still none available?

The Bluetooth GamePad for PDA/ Smartphone/ Pocket PC Phone has been out for about 4 years.
http://www.gadgetizer.com/2005/10/15...ith-bluetooth/
http://www.tangshop.com/bluetooth-game-pad-bgp-100.html
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMonkey View Post
Yes! Most FPS's use two virtual controllers so this would help a lot. :0

I found this, but it's just a concept:

Yeah, that looks pretty cool, but it looks to big to me. I was thinking that it would also be cool if you could fold the add-on in half when not in use for easy storage.
09-07-2009, 10:42 AM
i heard zodTTD is/was making something similar to this. saw a beta of it playing quake4iphone