★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Viking's Journey : The Road to Valhalla is a RPG Matching Game. Help Ragnar earn his heaven and reach Valhalla.

Slay zombie vikings on your way to heaven
Train your skills and find loot to become more powerful
Ride severe rams
11-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Looks pretty sweet!

Btw, that Viking reminds me of the Icebreaker dude

11-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Any vids?
11-01-2014, 01:25 AM
Hey, that's pretty awesome, just picked up one of several promos from the devs Twitter! Thank you
11-01-2014, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Hey, that's pretty awesome, just picked up one of several promos from the devs Twitter! Thank you
Please post some imps Rich, looking to buy, just not sure after the Dungeonlot 2 debacle.
11-01-2014, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugimulm View Post
Please post some imps Rich, looking to buy, just not sure after the Dungeonlot 2 debacle.
Yep, you bet. It'll have to be tomorrow though as it's going on 3 am where I'm at..sigh. So far it's really nice. Great interface/menus. Artwork is beautiful and a bunch of upgrades. The play mechanic is "sort of Threes" but it's actually more intricate and involved. Plenty of powerupS and loot. One glaring omission is GC, however the game is beckoning me to come play more, so I'll be back after lady sleep has her way with me
11-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Yep, you bet. It'll have to be tomorrow though as it's going on 3 am where I'm at..sigh. So far it's really nice. Great interface/menus. Artwork is beautiful and a bunch of upgrades. The play mechanic is "sort of Threes" but it's actually more intricate and involved. Plenty of powerupS and loot. One glaring omission is GC, however the game is beckoning me to come play more, so I'll be back after lady sleep has her way with me
No problem dude, get some rest. Wil wait for you to spend my money, lol. Great call on the racing one, loving it!
11-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Hey, so impressions as promised after getting yesterday's promo code:
Like rich said, the artwork is beautiful. You get coins which you can spend in powerups and upgrades for your viking. The gameplay is a puzzle style i was not familliar with, you swipe and the whole board moves, so you try to stack the numbers as high as possible in a number of moves, and at the end of the moves, the highest number gets executed (ie you have a sword with 1, and a sword with 8 stack, the sword 8 is going to be your attack.) I'm still trying to figure out the finer points, especially for the keys opening the chests (i always fail at that) but all in all, quite enjoyable. If you like this puzzle style, you should give it a go!
11-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Have been playing this on and off all day after getting a promo code.

I kinda have mixed feelings. I like the graphics and the basic gameplay, but it feels a bit unfair at times. You're heavily punished if you fail to defend against a ram, and if you get one straight away or get a few in a row, they can be impossible to defend.

There are no IAPs but you do need currency to buy unlocks and this is handed out pretty stingily at frst. The rate at which you earn it eventually imrpoves, but you can get extra by sharing on social media.

I get the desire to use word of mouth to spread the word, but I'm always massively distrustful of incentivised recommendations anyway (I've deleted more than one Facebook friend for Candy Crush invites).

It also feels like the Challenges aren't brilliantly balanced/implemented. I've still got two of the three I started with after several upgrades. I have managed to complete three others, but as you aren't shown your new challenge when you complete an old one and only see them when you die, I completed one of those I earned before I knew what it was. I still don't.

Also, I can't skip the opening sequence when reopening the app.

These aren't huge issues and I'm sure they could be corrected in an update. Overall, it's a decent puzzle RPG with no IAPs, but there's still an emphasis on grinding to upgrade. It doesn't feel quite as polished as some other games in the genre and there doesn't seem to be an end goal (e.g. like 10000000) so I'm not sure what there is to keep me playing longer term. If you like this sort of game though, you could do worse.
11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
mr_bez has summed things up pretty accurately. One thing I'll add is that while the game does show you briefly how to play, it could be a bit better on explaining things. Also, I really do like Lost Viking, but without GameCenter I'm not sure how long I'll stay motivated to keep trying to beat my own best.

Last edited by rich_952000; 11-02-2014 at 07:20 AM.