★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How to Promote Mobile game without money?

11-07-2014, 07:24 AM
How to Promote Mobile game without money?

Hi All, lets discuss how to promote the game if you have no money for advertisement?
I'm an iPhone game developer fom last 4 years and I just release my first Android game on Play store. See the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mes.monkeyfall

But the issues is that I can't get any download because it never showed in top games even under new category. So I want to discuss how I can get some good number of downloads of my game?

Sometimes there are some new companies who ask to use their services or implement their SDK and in result they offer some promotion and so you get some downloads.
I'm not asking for too many but at least 4000-5000.

Thanks
Safwan

Last edited by hammersolgames; 11-07-2014 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Link isn't showing in correct format
11-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Why are you asking on how to improve it ? Your game has 21 5 star ratings and no lower than 4 ! Surely they're all honest

Firstly i think the app has to be decent. Looking at the game on the Android store it just doesnt look very good.

Trying to work out ways to appear on top 10 lists or fudge downloads etc will be a waste of time if the app itself isnt very good. I mean looking at your feedback you have 21 positive feedback 5 stars and 1 for 4 stars

To me the feedback looks totally fake so i would avoid this game myself. Sorry but i think sometimes devs need to have honest feedback. The feedback looks so false its very off-putting.

Last edited by psj3809; 11-07-2014 at 08:08 AM.

11-07-2014, 06:22 PM
while obvious it is friends or paid for reviews (less than 50 downloads and 23 5 stars is obvious).

The graphics look decent but at least put a video up.

I am not sure what selling points your game has which make it stand out. To me it looks like the thousands before it.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
11-10-2014, 12:48 AM
You've obviously made tons of games for App Store, is it really that much different to promote your game for Android?

The only real difference as far as I know is that on Google Play you do not seem to get a "new app"-boost the first few days, but other than that it's the same deal. The more downloads, ratings, etc you get, the higher you rank for search keywords in your game description and title.

How did you promote all your other games?

As for your game, I think the graphics looks pretty good, but the game itself seems to be just about catching bananas, and thats it? Basically one of a few million similar games. I'd imagine it's gonna be hard to stand out?

Your other games seem to be pretty similar. Are you making any money on those? If so, just do the same thing with this one?

We're dedicated to creating naughty games and apps for couples.
http://www.tingletouch.com
Also check out our upcoming card game "Bedroom Battle" on Kickstarter!
11-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Android is actually quite different than iOS in how to generate downloads, but both are equally difficult in their own ways. I have a game that has around 500k downloads on iOS and only 60k in its Google Play counterpart, and other devs have numbers quite the opposite for Android. First off I would invest in something a bit more developed than the game you are referring to (the monkey game). Don't get me wrong: I've released games I've made in a week or so as well but they almost always fail. For me those kinds of projects were learning projects though so I'm a bit past that now. Don't try and make flappy bird type games (simple games that most devs can make in a couple days). They almost always fail unless you capitalize at the peak moment of the current trend. The success of flappy was 1/million.

I know companies that you could potentially partner with to get a downloads boost (in fact I'm working with one of them for a game I am going to release soon myself). However I can't openly discuss this here. It just goes beyond my agreement with them. If you have a much more polished or developed game I would be happy to refer your game to them. You can send me a PM.
11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Stingman: Care to elaborate on how Google Play and App Store is different? The only thing I've discovered is the new app boost on App Store, and that they do not treat keywords the same. What else is different?

11-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesgames View Post
Stingman: Care to elaborate on how Google Play and App Store is different? The only thing I've discovered is the new app boost on App Store, and that they do not treat keywords the same. What else is different?
Here are some similarities and differences between the App Store and Google Play I've discovered over the past couple of years :

Similarities:

1. # of downloads matters (probably the most heavily weighed factor)
2. keywords matter (although used in different ways)
3. App title is extremely crucial to discovery

Differences:

1. Ratings matter more on Google than the App Store. In fact, even if they are factored in to iOS ratings have had 0 effect on downloads. With Google it's extremely crucial to have a rating above 4.0 average. Without cross promo on a large scale ASO is all you really have and the rating plays a huge part especially when you have a lower # of downloads. Although oddly enough I've found that until you hit 1k downloads ratings don't have much effect either. It matters most once you break the 1k mark. You can rank as much as 50% higher on the search results if you average 4.0+ rating once you break the 1k downloads mark.
2. The keywords on Google are pulled from your app description. in Apple the keywords are pulled from your meta data on iTunes Connect. But you can't write a spammy description filled with lots of keywords and referencing popular apps. Google WILL discover this and you WILL get your app banned from the store or at least suspended.
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Okay, so according to you good rating is extra important on Google Play. You can't do much about it though, except making a good game.

Unless you wanna resort to "fake review" networks and all that. But I doubt that such a good idea long term.

11-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiesgames View Post
Okay, so according to you good rating is extra important on Google Play. You can't do much about it though, except making a good game.

Unless you wanna resort to "fake review" networks and all that. But I doubt that such a good idea long term.
Yup I'm just stating what I've seen from my own experience.
11-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Yeah, always useful when people share what they figure out from experience.