★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Monument Valley expansion isn't free, and I won't stand for that.

11-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Monument Valley expansion isn't free, and I won't stand for that.

Free new levels or paid for after the ten level rip off when this game came out?

Sorry to sound harsh but the original release was a joke, nothing more than a ten level interactive easy demo for 2.49

Gaz

Last edited by GaZ-OiD; 11-07-2014 at 10:48 AM.
11-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah you didnt get much for your money but lets put some perspective on it. It was only 2.49 ! Think we're losing sight of the cheap cheap games we get on iOS.

I've spent 2.49 on some apps, hated it then deleted it a few minutes later. So i'm sure most people got enjoyment out of this app

Looking forward to the new update/levels etc

11-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Yeah you didnt get much for your money but lets put some perspective on it. It was only 2.49 ! Think we're losing sight of the cheap cheap games we get on iOS.

I've spent 2.49 on some apps, hated it then deleted it a few minutes later. So i'm sure most people got enjoyment out of this app

Looking forward to the new update/levels etc
Ok 2.49 is not the end of the world but an hours "gameplay" ?? With no real challenge felt like a rip off. I have played a ton of 69p games that were better, challenging and with a ton of levels. This simply felt like you was buying into "a look what we done graphically don't it look nice" but with no real substance or challenging gameplay. I certainly won't be paying another penny unless there I see here there is a decent amount of both challenge and levels

GaZ
11-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Cool, well why don't you wait until reviews of the expansion drop before further derailing this thread with the toxic mentality that paying for anything is synonymous with being "ripped off." This is the reason why free to play exists.
11-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaZ-OiD View Post
Ok 2.49 is not the end of the world but an hours "gameplay" ?? With no real challenge felt like a rip off. I have played a ton of 69p games that were better, challenging and with a ton of levels. This simply felt like you was buying into "a look what we done graphically don't it look nice" but with no real substance or challenging gameplay. I certainly won't be paying another penny unless there I see here there is a decent amount of both challenge and levels

GaZ
Fair enough. I still think its hardly anything to pay towards a dev, it was a huge hit so now the dev can do more. 'Perhaps' some devs need to release a promising short game (some might say demo) in order to then see if its a success, it is so they can really do the full 'meat' of the game

IF the levels are say $2 people will moan. However if this game came out at a full priced $4.99 people probably wouldn't complain !!

I'll be supporting this, people moan about tons of freemium, here an indie dev has created something special, i'm supporting it 100%
11-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Cool, well why don't you wait until reviews of the expansion drop before further derailing this thread with the toxic mentality that paying for anything is synonymous with being "ripped off." This is the reason why free to play exists.
Harsh but true. I've been of the same mindframe lately but trying to get others to "get it" is like trying to break a cinder block with a rubber clown shoe.

If you watch that video a few post back about the "making of" the expansion and don't feel compelled to support that...you might be living in a different world than I do.
11-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
Eli
Maybe you can explain where the thread has been derailed?? Because someone dare to disagree with you perhaps?? Who said paying for anything was being ripped off??

Hopefully your take my reply like a man or will you just delete me??

Thirty plus years a gamer, spent a fortune of ios games in the last three years and if you think my views are toxic your the one with the problem.

No need to apologise to me.

GaZ
11-07-2014, 12:10 PM
The way this trend goes, someone plants the seed that paying money means you're being ripped off, and the entire thread shifts from discussing the actual game to dog piling a developer for the audacity of wanting money for their work. It happens in every thread with anything to do with IAP. It's chasing both community members and developers away, leaving us with only the most militant iOS curmudgeons who both hate free to pay and hate paying for things.
11-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Eli, Thanks for not deleting me and I understand what your saying but does this mean that members can only say good things about every game? I thought the whole idea of a forum and I run one (not a gaming forum) was about discussion.
Ok there needs to be a balance in every thread posted about every game. My views in other posts of other games that I like are never called toxic and as paying customers whatever the cost we have a right to make our views, good or bad known. NOT IN AN OBUSIVE WAY but in a way that that tries to highlight the good or the bad. I found MV far to easy, far too short and lacking in gameplay, on that basis it was not worth the money. A lot was said on the very same lines when the game was released, there were plenty of complaints about what was on offer and the lack of it. I think there was lots of hype before the game came out and that did not do the "game" any favours because many found the "game" to be over before it's actually started. It felt like a quick fix before the main event and there was no main event

GaZ
11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
If you don't understand the difference between constructively explaining what you didn't like about a game and calling it a "rip off" before dropping the mic I don't even know what to tell you. This harsh, toxic attitude is having a very measurable negative impact on our forums.