★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Tap-a-Sub! Sidescrolling game with a twist

11-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Tap-a-Sub! Mine evading fun with a twist!

Hello,

I've released my game Tap-a-Sub! for iOS devices (mainly iPhones / iPod Touches). It is a simple sidescroller with a twist. The game is easy to play but needs a lot of focus and some luck to master. Please download and try. It is free to download. There are ads in the app but not during the gameplay and the ads won't be jumping on your face at any point.

Have fun and give creative feedback either here or to the app review section in the Appstore.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id933642034

Last edited by pume; 12-05-2014 at 01:30 AM.
11-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Version 1.1.1 is up including a couple of bug fixes and graphics. Play and if you like the game give it a review in the Appstore, please

There will be more stuff added in to the in game shop...torpedos?

11-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Aaand version 1.2 is up. Torpedos! Who wouldn't want to blast some mines?
11-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Hi, I played your game. Here's some feedback:

1. There's a glitch where the up button stops working after a while. I'm not sure how to better describe it than that. Play for a little while and keep pushing up with some down and it may happen to you.

2. Getting to the shop is not intuitive. You should at the very least tell people to tap on the coin icon in the help screen. Another thing you can do is when a person has 20 coins, force them to go to the store to see whats in there.

3. Your game is called tap-a-sub. I kept tapping the buttons. I didn't realize touch and hold would make the sub move much better. Tapping in your game is very tough because gravity always works against you when going up via tapping. Holding the button down is much easier.

4. It took me some time to get used to the up and down mechanic. I am used to more of the flappy bird mechanic where tap means up and down is automatic.

5. Beware of no-win scenarios where mines are placed so closely that the player cannot win. This happened to me many times and was a little frustrating. The sub is large, the mines are large. Easy to fail.

Keep working at it, this can become an excellent game.
11-26-2014, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingware View Post
Hi, I played your game. Here's some feedback:

1. There's a glitch where the up button stops working after a while. I'm not sure how to better describe it than that. Play for a little while and keep pushing up with some down and it may happen to you.

2. Getting to the shop is not intuitive. You should at the very least tell people to tap on the coin icon in the help screen. Another thing you can do is when a person has 20 coins, force them to go to the store to see whats in there.

3. Your game is called tap-a-sub. I kept tapping the buttons. I didn't realize touch and hold would make the sub move much better. Tapping in your game is very tough because gravity always works against you when going up via tapping. Holding the button down is much easier.

4. It took me some time to get used to the up and down mechanic. I am used to more of the flappy bird mechanic where tap means up and down is automatic.

5. Beware of no-win scenarios where mines are placed so closely that the player cannot win. This happened to me many times and was a little frustrating. The sub is large, the mines are large. Easy to fail.

Keep working at it, this can become an excellent game.
Thank you for excellent feedback!
1) I will look into this.
2)This shouldn't be too hard to change. I will add it to my TODO list.
3) This is harder to change without changing the game mechanics too much. I will make the help screen a bit more comprehensive.
4) The control mechanics were made to avoid being just another flappy bird clone. There are also other submarine games which mimic the flappy bird mechanics. I didn't want to make just another one.
5) This is what the torpedos are for The game is meant to be challenging and some times luck plays a big role in the game

Last edited by pume; 11-26-2014 at 04:38 AM.
11-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Thanks for responding.

Only one thing to note:

4) It felt like gravity was working against me. I know it feels more realistic this way, but essentially to get up I had to tap twice as hard as to go down. Of course, this doesn't matter if you're holding the buttons down as moving is much easier, but try playing the game with tapping and you'll see what I mean. Other option is to eliminate the concept of holding the buttons down and let people tap tap tap.
11-26-2014, 01:47 PM
Alright, updates are waiting for review now, stay tuned! Changes to difficulty and shop are included and of course some more bug fixes too.
11-27-2014, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingware View Post
Thanks for responding.

Only one thing to note:

4) It felt like gravity was working against me. I know it feels more realistic this way, but essentially to get up I had to tap twice as hard as to go down. Of course, this doesn't matter if you're holding the buttons down as moving is much easier, but try playing the game with tapping and you'll see what I mean. Other option is to eliminate the concept of holding the buttons down and let people tap tap tap.
I chose not to change the controls to tapping. Instead I changed the help screen wording from tap to push to avoid any further confusion with control. You can still keep on tapping but I tried that and boy that was hard!
Tap-a-Sub! as a name for the game might not be the most describing but there is still some tapping to do (when changing from up to down or vice versa and tapping the torpedo button for example).

This is a good lesson to me when I start my next game project and start thinking about the name.

Keep playing and giving feedback. I will try to update the game frequently with new stuff.
12-03-2014, 01:12 AM
And 1.2.1 is up! Including but not limited to:
- Difficulty ramps up once your score gets bigger. Beware the moving mines!
- Sub-a-shop! icon changed. Now getting to the store should be quite easy.
- Glowing coins
- More torpedos. Buy up to 25 torpedos and blast your way through the mines!

DOWNLOAD THE GAME TO YOUR iOS-DEVICE NOW!