Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default Blades of Fury by Gameloft + Lite ($0.99 Sale)

The Soul Calibar Clone, Blades of Fury by Gameloft is FINALLY out!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Blades of Fury

Price: $4.99

Size: 126 MB.

Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
I feel I must chime in. I was very dubious when I heard about a Soul Blade clone for the iPhone. In spite of that (and with my longing for a good fighting game for the iDevices as the only explanation), I bought it right away. Been playing for a few hours now, and I am absolutely amazed.

Controls: Just like one poster before commented, I forget I'm using a touchscreen to control my characters. After two or three games, the controls felt absolutely natural. I don't think I've mis-clicked once, except for occasionally missing the block button, which is slightly too small for my taste.

After a few hours, the control method feels as ingrained and natural as the best of gamepads. I cannot say why, since the controls are really the same as in so many other games (d-pad or joystick on the left, buttons on the right), but Gameloft somehow succeeded in making the buttons sensitive and large enough to provide almost absolute control.

And we are not just talking simple button mashing. Side-stepping, counterattacks, jumping... I might as well be playing Soul Calibur on my roommate's PS3. And I am not exaggerating.

I've only played around with the drag control scheme a bit, and I've yet to become as comfortable with it as the buttons and d-pad. The possibility to block by touching anywhere on the screen but on the d-pad is a boon, though, and I can imagine the most elite of players might come to prefer this control method, partly for this reason.

The counterattacks are a very nice touch that many fighting games lack. I do wish they'd have been more difficult to pull off, though. Perhaps add a required second button press after the timed block.

Story: Catastrophic. Occasionally just bad and confusing, but most of the time, downright inconsistent and contradictive. I really didn't expect much in the way of story, and I didn't get it. The different storylines are leagues and miles better than most Soul Blade/Soul Calibur character storylines, though

However, there are a few exceptions. There is an occasional sense of true drama, especially with the repentant Skorn character, who's pre-match wisdom actually sometimes makes sense and hints at a deeper level of writing. Hints, mind you. Magnus ending is surprising and rather cool, if a bit too high mythological fantasy.

Most of the time, however, characters ramble and drool all over the place, without the slightest semblance of coherence.

Graphics: Some of the nicest I've seen on the iDevices. Nice art style (semi-realistic, with a good attention to character detail), brilliant animations, good effects (with a few exceptions, Some finisher moves are a bit too first-time Photoshop user for my taste. However, the weapon trails makes up for every single shortcoming), good backgrounds, and a lot of personality, in both characters and stages.

Menus are reasonably polished, and the game looks professional all throughout. No placeholder graphics or cheap solutions.

I just wish the female characters (who indeed are more acrobatic, and often more fun to play) would not fulfill every pre-conceived misogynist notion and sexist stereotype in the book.

Features: Surprisingly many. Tutorial, customizable practice mode, replays (a personal favourite of mine!), wi-fi and bluetooth multiplayer possibilities, story, arcade and survival mode, gameloft connectivity, match settings, achievements, and several different costumes for each character.

Wishlist: A few more characters (a constant wish for any fighting game, but Blade of Fury feels just a tad short of a whole character gallery), online multiplayer capabilities, a quicker sidestep attack, and a couple of more moves for each character (the current move set is certainly not shallow, but perhaps just a few moves short of true depth).

Conclusion: Blade of Fury is currently one of my best iPhone game purchases ever, right up there with Uniwar, Star Hogs, Defender Chronicles, Zenonia, 9innings, NY Nights, and The Quest.

You need to buy this, and play the crap out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssahnan View Post
quick, quick impression...

got a call at the beggining of the tutorial, so cancelled out on that, when i went back in, i didnt see a option to do it again so i quickly just went thru a fight or two before i have to go..

on a 3gs...visually, it is truly a looker, gameloft has their act together on this end, very impressive...audio is what audio can be thru a speakerphone

control wise so far, it has a few different methods...if joypad then either dpad or analog, i tried dpad...was fairly responsive considering...

it also has a swipe the screen method, my guess was ala that samurai game out lately

i had it on easy to get a feel for it and in general it did what i wanted it to do as far as moves go. end of the day on a very breif playtime with it, i felt the controls were as good as it could be given the platform, i.e., no physical controller buttons or pads...so to that end, it felt maximized to the touch screen defiency. that said, obviously it will take more then 5 minutes of play to get a better feel for that

pricewise, 6.99 wasnt a issue for the graphics and how it controled in my brief time with it. that said, i will qualify myself as in the camp that doesn't have a issue with games being a few bucks over the .99cent threshhold the other camp adheres to. compared to console or other handheld prices, 6-10$ for a supposedly high priced game to some is just not a personal issue for me.

anyway, i get the feeling other reviewers will like it as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Went through the tutorial and first three battles. Very quick impressions:

1) the combat system is pretty deep, with a variety of attacks, recoveries, counter-attacks, blocks and dodges, the works. It all seems pretty daunting as you're going through the tutorial, but once you are in a real battle it comes pretty naturally.

2) I chose the joystick control, which is responsive and easy to use.

3) As in Soul Calibur, the first few enemies are pretty easy (got K.O'd once, but it was because I did something stupid). I'm looking forward to the difficulty ramping up.

4) The story is actually a slight improvement of what I remember from SC, but that's not really saying much. Something about an armor... but who cares, right?

5) Graphics are very good, though without anti-aliasing they can look a bit rough at a distance. Camera angles, animation, etc are all top-notch. A few little hiccups here and there (I'm on a 3Gs), but none in the middle of the action so far.

6) Haven't played with it much, but there is some character customization available.

7) Multiplayer is both bluetooth or wifi -- don't have anybody to try it with yet, but it's nice to have both options.

8) As far as I can tell, the game works in arcade mode, meaning that it doesn't save progress after each battle (though it may have specific save points later on). You can choose your main character in each session. (I don't remember if that's the way Soul Calibur worked.) I'm not looking forward to getting a phone call in the middle of an intense battle.

9) Unlike HoS, the attacks have a sense of "weight" to them -- it feels like you're actually connecting with the enemy, if that makes sense. A good strike feels satisfying; you perceive an impact when you get hit. All in all, what I expect in a good fighting game.

So far I'm really enjoying it...
Screenshots (credit to diabolus)

Last edited by salsamd; 11-06-2009 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: price
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM

$6.99 will wait for impressions!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to NiclasW

WTF!

Instant buy ...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Game play trailer:

Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

That was quick, gonna wait for impressions
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

That was fast. Darn... Should I get this or modern combat...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Ya joking? ALREADY!?

I'm not gonna buy this. I don't even think they worked hard on it, seems so for me atleast..
Old 09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastlyNinja View Post
That was fast. Darn... Should I get this or modern combat...
get modern combat!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Location: You'll get there eventually if you just go this way: -->

Abit expensive for street fighter!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:02 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Hell ya!!

Will post opinions shortly...

Gameloft is a bit random with their game releases aren't they?