★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Reivew Delays Hurt Release Date Sales

View Poll Results: Do you want reviews a week before a game comes out?
I would love to to have that 13 56.52%
Who cares just wait 8 34.78%
Reviews? who needs them I just buy whatever looks cool! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll
12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Review Delays Hurt Release Date Sales

Hey Guys,

I was just thinking how it sucks to have to wait a week or so for a game to be reviewed. It would be awesome if reviews would come out like a week before the game came out. Then when it releases people would buy it right away.

Developers need to find a way to get early release copies to review sites.

Much like the console world. The day a games comes out I know if I am going to the store to buy it because there are usually 4-5 reviews of the console game.

What do you guys think.

Steve

Last edited by BOWB4ZOD; 12-17-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: title error
12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Thats why devs. give forums (like TA) the beta version to test and play and then review for them,

"Insert generic signature here"

12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
send review sites ad hoc builds of the submitted app. however, reviews usually don't take that long. it's the devs who take long sending the promo code. but also, arn needs to PLAY with the app to give a valid review. dont rush and give us a crappy review.

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
12-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloneWars View Post
Thats why devs. give forums (like TA) the beta version to test and play and then review for them,
betas are not usually different from the final game. so a review site might base a review on something that will be fixed in the final version
12-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannys95 View Post
send review sites ad hoc builds of the submitted app. however, reviews usually don't take that long. it's the devs who take long sending the promo code. but also, arn needs to PLAY with the app to give a valid review. dont rush and give us a crappy review.
we like full, well written reviews
Well, the trick is getting the apps that people want reviewed ahead of time.

Developers will offer us ad-hoc copies but with all the games coming out, it's hard to keep up with them all.

The "problem" that you speak of is the most highly anticipated games are coming from the larger studios and they aren't handing out early review copies. Gameloft, EA, Ngmoco, for example.

The other reality that is different is that I'm sure they would only want final version games to be reviewed. Unlike distributing to stores in boxes, the lead time between game being "done" and game submitted approved by Apple can be a matter of days -- which doesn't give much time to distribute early copies and get them reviewed.

arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWB4ZOD View Post
Hey Guys,

I was just thinking how it sucks to have to wait a week or so for a game to be reviewed. It would be awesome if reviews would come out like a week before the game came out. Then when it releases people would buy it right away.

Developers need to find a way to get early release copies to review sites.

Much like the console world. The day a games comes out I know if I am going to the store to buy it because there are usually 4-5 reviews of the console game.

What do you guys think.

Steve
man i can't type today spelling errors everywhere
12-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Well, the trick is getting the apps that people want reviewed ahead of time.

Developers will offer us ad-hoc copies but with all the games coming out, it's hard to keep up with them all.

The "problem" that you speak of is the most highly anticipated games are coming from the larger studios and they aren't handing out early review copies. Gameloft, EA, Ngmoco, for example.

The other reality that is different is that I'm sure they would only want final version games to be reviewed. Unlike distributing to stores in boxes, the lead time between game being "done" and game submitted approved by Apple can be a matter of days -- which doesn't give much time to distribute early copies and get them reviewed.

arn
i never thought about that, well said
12-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Couple things from the dev side here:

*Ideally we want the review to come out the DAY OF release. If it comes out before people forget about it. If the game is just out, people can go grab it at that moment.

*We can get builds to reviewers before release, to hopefully time reviews with the release of the game. BUT the App Store review process is very unpredictable and erratic. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it takes a week and I've even heard of some developers waiting WEEKS to get their app approved. Very hard to plan around.

*In the end we have no control over when review sites chose to release the review. It can be frustrating. But in their defense it must be so hard to keep up with all of the new apps.
12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
I guess I'm not sure I understand why the review has to be day-and-date with the release of the game. I'm sure the initial sales boost of a good review is helpful, but I would think that regardless of when the review comes out, if it's positive it will still give that boost, and if it's not, well... at least you got the sales of the people who just couldn't wait for the review. Suckas!! :-)

I prefer a few days late and a well written review of the release-quality game. Keep up the great work, Arn!