★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game marketing - advice needed

11-13-2014, 02:50 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 15
Game marketing - advice needed

I have a game which has been out for some days now, few downloads but some users getting back to it. Although some people kindly rated it 5 stars, I have not received any feedback until now, I mean honest feedback.

I've been working on an update, adding new game modes, new content, but well I just don't know if it's worth it. Should I keep trying marketing it ? Maybe paid marketing through ads ? Or is that a waste of time for that type of games ? Should I move to something bigger now ? Am I wrong on anything (screenshot, video, icon, description...) ?

The link : https://itunes.apple.com/app/id916954081

Please share your thoughts, honest thoughts.

Last edited by NewDawnSoft; 11-13-2014 at 02:55 PM.
11-13-2014, 05:07 PM
#2
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDawnSoft View Post
I've been working on an update, adding new game modes, new content, but well I just don't know if it's worth it. Should I keep trying marketing it ? Maybe paid marketing through ads ? Or is that a waste of time for that type of games ? Should I move to something bigger now ? Am I wrong on anything (screenshot, video, icon, description...) ?
If it has failed to take off, unless you have some secret event that's about to bump things and perhaps a nice juicy deal with a Youtuber who makes you pay a lot for a couple minutes of casting, just move on.
However, if you have to move on to something after coming out of a failure, it's certainly not something bigger, but actually aim for something smaller.
You can't aim for bigger if you haven't succeeded yet.

11-15-2014, 07:37 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: China / Canadian
Posts: 605
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDawnSoft View Post
I have a game which has been out for some days now, few downloads but some users getting back to it. Although some people kindly rated it 5 stars, I have not received any feedback until now, I mean honest feedback.

I've been working on an update, adding new game modes, new content, but well I just don't know if it's worth it. Should I keep trying marketing it ? Maybe paid marketing through ads ? Or is that a waste of time for that type of games ? Should I move to something bigger now ? Am I wrong on anything (screenshot, video, icon, description...) ?

The link : https://itunes.apple.com/app/id916954081

Please share your thoughts, honest thoughts.

How much design and program time have you invested in your game
11-16-2014, 07:32 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelosis View Post
If it has failed to take off, unless you have some secret event that's about to bump things and perhaps a nice juicy deal with a Youtuber who makes you pay a lot for a couple minutes of casting, just move on.
However, if you have to move on to something after coming out of a failure, it's certainly not something bigger, but actually aim for something smaller.
You can't aim for bigger if you haven't succeeded yet.
Thank you Pixelosis. So I'll make some updates and move on other games I'm facing the tough reality of marketing with no or little money spent.
Anyway, what about the game in itself? First sight of the screenshots, what does it suggest you? I'm lacking some advices on the game itself, rude or not...

French independent video game developer

TwHit Bird (iOS)
Our website
11-16-2014, 07:37 AM
#5
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSPIN View Post
How much design and program time have you invested in your game
About 2 monthes, working on nights and some week-ends only. First game, I've done much things to speed up the devs for the next games.

French independent video game developer

TwHit Bird (iOS)
Our website
11-16-2014, 11:17 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDawnSoft View Post
Thank you Pixelosis. So I'll make some updates and move on other games I'm facing the tough reality of marketing with no or little money spent.
Anyway, what about the game in itself? First sight of the screenshots, what does it suggest you? I'm lacking some advices on the game itself, rude or not...
As a quick consumable app, I'd say visually it passes the test. I have to be honest, it took me a while to get used to the idea of the vast majority of app downloaders being satisfied with "crapps" so anything that's like okayish, not stellar but good enough, would work well if it's coloured and clear, which happens to be the case with your app.
However, the screenshots are rather terrible. The menu shot is not necessary and honestly not the prettiest part of the app.
Besides, there's no description (just a few words, don't put too much text). We don't understand what's going on. We at best guess that you might have to feed the bird, but is it this bird that's stupid or you, presumably its "mother", that's stupid? We see rocks (which aren't very obvious, you only spot them if you pay much attention). So is the mother giving rocks to the birdling? That's really odd. And if it's a game where you have to avoid the bad stuff that falls from the top of the screen (which is not obvious at all again), how do you do it? Do you move left and right?
You really need to make the principle of your game clear within two screenshots. I think it's not very original at all so it's aimed at being quickly downloaded, tried and probably deleted. Meaning you have to deliver the purpose of the game very, very quickly and not count on people reading the text underneath.
If you want to add a video, make it 15 seconds long tops and straight to the point.
11-16-2014, 11:41 AM
#7
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelosis View Post
As a quick consumable app, I'd say visually it passes the test. I have to be honest, it took me a while to get used to the idea of the vast majority of app downloaders being satisfied with "crapps" so anything that's like okayish, not stellar but good enough, would work well if it's coloured and clear, which happens to be the case with your app.
However, the screenshots are rather terrible. The menu shot is not necessary and honestly not the prettiest part of the app.
Besides, there's no description (just a few words, don't put too much text). We don't understand what's going on. We at best guess that you might have to feed the bird, but is it this bird that's stupid or you, presumably its "mother", that's stupid? We see rocks (which aren't very obvious, you only spot them if you pay much attention). So is the mother giving rocks to the birdling? That's really odd. And if it's a game where you have to avoid the bad stuff that falls from the top of the screen (which is not obvious at all again), how do you do it? Do you move left and right?
You really need to make the principle of your game clear within two screenshots. I think it's not very original at all so it's aimed at being quickly downloaded, tried and probably deleted. Meaning you have to deliver the purpose of the game very, very quickly and not count on people reading the text underneath.
If you want to add a video, make it 15 seconds long tops and straight to the point.
Thank you Pixelosis for your feedback, really appreciated it. I knew screenshots were not very clear nor nice and we are working on it. I was reluctant to add some text on them but I think you're just right about it, so that the game principle will be more obvious at the first sight of the screenshots.

French independent video game developer

TwHit Bird (iOS)
Our website
11-22-2014, 08:50 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2014
Location: China / Canadian
Posts: 605
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
If you want to get some info on google ads, returns etc. I am posting real time data on a game I am promoting. I have about $50,000USD to place into advertising and testing various forms to find the best way to advertise this and other games.

This is the forum link to the info I am posting

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=248890
11-27-2014, 06:19 PM
#9
Marketing is an art itself.

It all starts with asking the right questions and catering your efforts to the specific niche. Marketing to everyone means you are marketing to no one. Especially at the start. I guess you have to be bold, creative and unique. I learn this myself day by day.

This article may juggle your brains a little: http://blog.tapgage.com/2012/10/81-d...bile-app-game/

Mighty Dragon Studios: Delivering you the finest from the Turn-Based entertainment!
11-29-2014, 06:54 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 114
Have you made an instagram account for your game? Make your profiles web link go to the app, post some photos of the game with good hash tags. It does help. I'll give you a shoutout if you like