★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

BIT.TRIP.RUN! by Gajin Games $3.99 -> FREE

11-13-2014, 05:23 PM
BIT.TRIP.RUN! by Gajin Games $3.99 -> FREE

It's already free in NZ, it will take some time until it's free in other countries

Game Center: sink_or_swim
11-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Not free in U.S.A

11-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Thanks for the heads up! Gotta set a reminder. =oP
11-13-2014, 06:28 PM
All those control gripes must have damaged sales somewhat. They should have made the little slivered coloured buttons on the side the standard. I thought they were fine. This is a super-joyful game, which feels like ballet in motion when you're in the zone. It's a shame that their definition of "Coming Soon" is similar to telling trilobites that one day in the near-future there will be these shaved apes roaming the Earth.
11-13-2014, 06:31 PM
I got this for a buck and while it didn't stay on my device for long because it is such a large file, I still feel like it was worth the $.99
11-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
11-14-2014, 05:02 AM
Yeah the controls really don't work. The alternate tap controls -seem- to work at first but when it starts throwing in all the combinations it just doesn't feel right.

I would have simply dumped the entire kick mechanic thing... Kept it simpler. And the silly TAP button that appears in the middle of the screen... yeah I really want to change my grip in the middle of a level to grab at the thing... wth?

So I went back to the swipe control and I swear there is at least one area about 8 to 10 levels in the first area where he simply won't jump after sliding under a building. I tried it about 10 times before I rage quitted out of it. There's nothing special about the area... but a swipe up simply won't register for me no matter how I do it. Seems like a bug but you would think others would have hit it unless they all gave up on the swipe mechanic.

Shame too as it's such a beautiful looking and sounding experience...

Also even with a controller on the Xbox it still feels a little "off" somehow. So it seems endemic to the whole series.

Last edited by MasonHurst; 11-14-2014 at 05:05 AM.
11-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Just tried downloading this several times and I get this screen on the AppStore that says I can't because it's only works for the iPad. So it's universal and plus I'm trying to download this on my iPad. Weird. Oh well, I'll have to wait to get home and fire up the Mac
11-14-2014, 08:12 AM
It is available in the US now. Just downloaded it on my iPhone 6+
11-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonHurst View Post
Yeah the controls really don't work. The alternate tap controls -seem- to work at first but when it starts throwing in all the combinations it just doesn't feel right.

I would have simply dumped the entire kick mechanic thing... Kept it simpler. And the silly TAP button that appears in the middle of the screen... yeah I really want to change my grip in the middle of a level to grab at the thing... wth?

So I went back to the swipe control and I swear there is at least one area about 8 to 10 levels in the first area where he simply won't jump after sliding under a building. I tried it about 10 times before I rage quitted out of it. There's nothing special about the area... but a swipe up simply won't register for me no matter how I do it. Seems like a bug but you would think others would have hit it unless they all gave up on the swipe mechanic.

Shame too as it's such a beautiful looking and sounding experience...

Also even with a controller on the Xbox it still feels a little "off" somehow. So it seems endemic to the whole series.
A lot of reviewers complain about sloppy or non-existent input recognition in specific levels in the german store, too

GameCenter : amusingGrace
Feel free to add me