★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Discussing XCOM: Enemy Within Being a Separate App

11-13-2014, 02:57 AM
Discussing XCOM: Enemy Within Being a Separate App

I am extremely disappointed to find that XCom: Enemy Unknown is currently no longer available in the Canadian Appstore. I was hoping to bundle the 2 together and purchase both... apparently that's no longer an option?

Anyone else notice this? I know it is still available in the US and other countries.
11-13-2014, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickzy View Post
I am extremely disappointed to find that XCom: Enemy Unknown is currently no longer available in the Canadian Appstore. I was hoping to bundle the 2 together and purchase both... apparently that's no longer an option?

Anyone else notice this? I know it is still available in the US and other countries.
It's not on the Lebanese store anymore either. Honestly, there's no reason to own both.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

11-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
It's not on the Lebanese store anymore either. Honestly, there's no reason to own both.
Does enemy within contain all the content from enemy unknown?
11-13-2014, 03:10 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Mythbuster
Quote:
Well, if you want to play it without the new features then you still need the original.

iPad Pro | iPad Air 2 | iPhone 6s Plus

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
11-13-2014, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Does enemy within contain all the content from enemy unknown?
i apologize. as i now read the game description, i see that it DOES include the "core gameplay of Enemy Unknown plus more exciting content"

I should have read up sooner as opposed to jumping to conclusions. Thanks for the head's up
11-13-2014, 03:36 AM
Enemy Unknown was also pulled from the German App Store. It would have been nice of them to tell us, esp as it means no more updates. I'd rather they kept it there but set the price stupidly high.
11-13-2014, 04:10 AM
Quote:
There's one reason, at least for me: I own a 4S and an iPad 3. While EU works in a 4S minimum specs, EW needs an iPhone 5 or iPad 3 minimum specs. If I ever decide to play on my 4S, only EU runs on it...
11-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Unless possibly for map variety. See reasoning below

Quote:
"core gameplay of Enemy Unknown plus more exciting content"
"Core" does not necessarily mean all content from EU, though. The mechanics are intact, but the number of maps might have been cut down.

I doubt they have touched the character customization (other than coloured armor, or is this confirmed to be in?), research possibilities, enemy types, weapons, equipment, etc.

I have heard reports that soldiers don't speak in their original languages (one of the nice new flavour features of EW). Is this confirmed?

But the real issue might be the number of maps.

For reference, the original had 80 maps, and these were reduced greatly in number for the iOS version. The only report I've seen counts the total to 30 maps on iOS.

Enemy Within features 47 new maps.

So the question becomes: which maps are we actually getting?

The 30 (or whatever) from EU on iOS, plus the new 47 from EW?

Less of the approximately 30 maps from he iOS version of EU, plus the new 47 from EW?

Less of both, neither all the 30 maps from iOS EU, and less than the 47 maps from the desktop version of EW?

Or might 2K even have added a few of the EU maps that were lost in the transition from desktop to iOS, plus all or some of the new EW maps?

Simply put, is EW a complete replacement of EU in every single way? (I'd gladly take all the new enhancements over a few maps any day, but as long as the PC version exists, I'm curious to know how close to the full experience the iOS version is.)

And then there is always some dispute as to what truly constitutes the full experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscamax View Post
Hi
anyone with an iPhone 6 PLUS has already tested the game??
I do not have an iPad and I'd like to play it on my iphone but not so sure that this is a good idea...
Enemy Unknown played beautifully on my iPhone 5S, and even more so on my iPhone 6

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
11-13-2014, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Simply put-does this "expansion" include all of the missions and content from the core game? I don't need to be able to deactivate new gameplay elements-I need to know

A)does it include all of the original content from Enemy Unknown;

B)If not, can it act as an expansion, adding the new elements, to the original if both arw installed?

I don't have room for both.
I already know that it contains all the EU content. It wouldn't be possible to not have it.

I want to be able to play in vanilla mode.

Last edited by JCho133; 11-13-2014 at 04:57 AM.
11-13-2014, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCho133 View Post
I already know that it contains all the EU content. It wouldn't be possible to not have it.

I want to be able to play in vanilla mode.
Not necessarily all the maps. See my post on previous page.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona