★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Has anybody here cooperated with a publisher(such as Chillingo)?

11-14-2014, 03:27 AM
Has anybody here cooperated with a publisher(such as Chillingo)?

Hi guys,

I think I'm running out...

After 1.5 years' payless, weekendless and full time work, after 3 failed demos, I finally released "zBean!" last month. I believe it's creative with good quality, but after release it got vanished in the "New" category in just a few hours.

So in the past whole month, the only thing I tried was the so called PR: contact with review sites and editors. But it seems that's not my speciality, especially that English is not my mother tongue.

I tend to find a publisher. Has anybody had the experience? Or do you think my game is worthy dig in? It's FREE but only live in a few countries(Europe, Japan, Oceania, Mexico and Brazil) now. You can try download it or watch the trailer here

Thanks guys. Any advice is welcome.

X-Match, Can you score 100+ in this puzzle?
iOS
GooglePlay
11-14-2014, 03:41 AM
Your graphics look good but your video isn't clear what you are doing. It actually looks like a match 3 game to me. It is also a pretty ordinary start to your video. To be honest I would of thought it might do better than it has however the gameplay while unique doesn't look at all fun.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't have any advice, but just wanted to give you a shout out for spending the time and effort in seeing a game to completion. I know enough about making mobile games to recognize all the little places you've put effort into polishing your game. It's truly crazy how much time is spent on details that the end user doesn't notice or fully appreciate. And I see them in what you've produced.

I agree with @Destined that the trailer only hints at what separates zBean! from the multitude of other similar games. It's like you're 90% of the way toward making zBean! warrant attention versus being treated as shovelware.

I hope we're not already in the era where a publisher is mandatory.

Nice work and good luck!
11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
The issue with a publisher is that your app is available through their appstore account.
There are advantages but you must not forget about protecting your IP if it's really that good and worth a few more spin offs.
11-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelosis View Post
The issue with a publisher is that your app is available through their appstore account.
There are advantages but you must not forget about protecting your IP if it's really that good and worth a few more spin offs.
Well often you have to give up things because they have to see it as being profitable because they will be spending money on advertising and so on.

There are obvious benefits for having a publisher but in the end of the day there it doesn't make you that much more likely succeed without a good track record or killer product (just like a record label they put the least effort into the new untested products).

A lot of people go to them in search of an advance which rarely happens. Most games which get funding get them from investors rather than publishers. Pretty much if you can make the game by yourself then it probably isn't going to get funding because you are just essentially asking to be paid, in which case they might as well just employ you and own the game.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to KevinStubbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprat0821 View Post
Hi guys,

So in the past whole month, the only thing I tried was the so called PR: contact with review sites and editors. But it seems that's not my speciality, especially that English is not my mother tongue.
You shouldn't have started PR after releasing a game you'd been working on for 1.5 years. That's something you need to start from the first week of development.
11-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinStubbs View Post
You shouldn't have started PR after releasing a game you'd been working on for 1.5 years. That's something you need to start from the first week of development.
I see people say this often, but where's the PR on famous movies so early? We hear they start working on a sequel, then a year later we see the old one on tv through some deal, then some go to the cinema that weekend.

I don't see lots of reveals for new Star Wars or James Plod, just know they're happening. Then again I don't go out looking for news.
11-15-2014, 09:52 AM
The early PR is largely unnecessary. Unless you're dealing with frothing fans who can't wait for your next sequel or spinoff, it's better to start the engines when you're well into the beta and you start to have presentable material that's on the level of eye candy. You can even double your PR campaign with beta testing. At this point, you still have the initiative and can divulge a bit of your game and rules, and perhaps even make a trailer of some sort (although that requires money).
11-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammond View Post
I see people say this often, but where's the PR on famous movies so early? We hear they start working on a sequel, then a year later we see the old one on tv through some deal, then some go to the cinema that weekend.

I don't see lots of reveals for new Star Wars or James Plod, just know they're happening. Then again I don't go out looking for news.
There's tons of Star Wars news gossip or photos about the new film. There'll also be a teaser trailer soonish as well. The companies like to keep things under wraps but in the days of the Internet that's impossible
11-15-2014, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
There's tons of Star Wars news gossip or photos about the new film. There'll also be a teaser trailer soonish as well. The companies like to keep things under wraps but in the days of the Internet that's impossible
Yeah they are always "leaking images". There is tons of PR going on around star wars. That wasn't the best example.

But yeah I think the point is if you are serious it should start before release not at point of release.