★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games/ Apps For 2 Year Old Baby

11-14-2014, 04:01 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
Games/ Apps For 2 Year Old Baby

Hi guys and gals, my little girl has been into my iPhone and iPad since she was about 6 months for good or for bad.
She's so good with them, meaning that all I have to do is put them into aeroplane mode and unlock and she's good to go.
She even knows how to shutdown apps running in the background although I know she doesn't know what she's actually accomplishing! lol

Anyway, rather than her constantly opening up my Battleheart Legacy or 4444, I need to find something else she might like.

There's a lot of flashcard games but I think she gets really bored of these.

Can anyone suggest any good games or apps for a 2 year old?
11-14-2014, 05:06 AM
#2
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Ibaraki, Japan
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKainer View Post
Hi guys and gals, my little girl has been into my iPhone and iPad since she was about 6 months for good or for bad.
She's so good with them, meaning that all I have to do is put them into aeroplane mode and unlock and she's good to go.
She even knows how to shutdown apps running in the background although I know she doesn't know what she's actually accomplishing! lol

Anyway, rather than her constantly opening up my Battleheart Legacy or 4444, I need to find something else she might like.

There's a lot of flashcard games but I think she gets really bored of these.

Can anyone suggest any good games or apps for a 2 year old?
Maybe something like Angry Birds, where she can fling things to break other things? Kids seem to dig that.

11-14-2014, 05:12 AM
#3
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
Maybe something like Angry Birds, where she can fling things to break other things? Kids seem to dig that.
You might be right there. Have always stayed away from Angry Birds myself but will give it a whirl for the little-un.
Cheers
11-14-2014, 05:46 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
When my daughter was around 2 she loved the Peppa Pig apps.

Those talking characters she liked, the ones with a bird and many more where you stroke/touch or press icons etc.

Just make sure they dont press the one to buy extra characters etc !

Bizzy Bear was another one but might be a bit old for a 2 year old but its one of those 'interactive stories' where you pressed parts of the screen to see more animations etc
11-14-2014, 06:13 AM
#5
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
Thank you. Yeah, she does like the Peppa Pig Apps but I have them on my iPad which I try not to give to her. May transfer them to my iPhone.
Makes me think that most of my baby games are on the iPad so will defo have to get them over to the phone.
I always put my devices on aeroplane mode so that she doesn't make any purchases or call my boss!

Last edited by DKainer; 11-14-2014 at 06:57 AM.
11-14-2014, 08:55 AM
#6
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 1,192
Try the Toca Boca apps. My daughters 5 and has been playing them for 2-3 years and loves them.
11-14-2014, 01:22 PM
#7
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 859
Yeah - Toca Boca are the gold standard for pre-schooler's apps.

At that age (any age actually) Toca Band is probably the best.
11-14-2014, 01:58 PM
#8
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 21
I would hold off as long as possible on the iPad for a 2 year old.

I would either buy a few of the Dr. Seuss book collections and read it along with the child. Otherwise, stick a few movies on the iPad for emergencies and roadtrips. I would NOT get them any games even the "harmless" ones like Angry Birds. It's my opinion that kids at 2 year old must be learning via physical interactions with the real world rather than a virtual one.

My experience with iPad, my son and a few neighbor's kids is that adults often have trouble controlling impulses with games on our phones. Now, imagine a 2 year old who will absolutely lose themselves within the IOS games without strict and well enforced boundaries.

When my son was 2, he had a few baby games to keep his attention. Well, those games kept his attention TOO well. We were in for a fight every time we told him to turn it off. He would play for 30 minutes and spend 15 minutes fighting us about turning it off.

So for our sanity and his, we bit the bullet and cold turkeyed the iPad. Since then we've introduced him to jigsaw puzzles, Legos, recording the songs that he learn from school and other things that involve interaction between my son , his environment and his family.

I honestly would not recommend handing him an iPad with 10 games and walk away. I would limit iPad exposure to a bare minimum and only when playing with a parent.
11-17-2014, 04:50 AM
#9
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecmancan View Post
I would hold off as long as possible on the iPad for a 2 year old.

I would either buy a few of the Dr. Seuss book collections and read it along with the child. Otherwise, stick a few movies on the iPad for emergencies and roadtrips. I would NOT get them any games even the "harmless" ones like Angry Birds. It's my opinion that kids at 2 year old must be learning via physical interactions with the real world rather than a virtual one.

My experience with iPad, my son and a few neighbor's kids is that adults often have trouble controlling impulses with games on our phones. Now, imagine a 2 year old who will absolutely lose themselves within the IOS games without strict and well enforced boundaries.

When my son was 2, he had a few baby games to keep his attention. Well, those games kept his attention TOO well. We were in for a fight every time we told him to turn it off. He would play for 30 minutes and spend 15 minutes fighting us about turning it off.

So for our sanity and his, we bit the bullet and cold turkeyed the iPad. Since then we've introduced him to jigsaw puzzles, Legos, recording the songs that he learn from school and other things that involve interaction between my son , his environment and his family.

I honestly would not recommend handing him an iPad with 10 games and walk away. I would limit iPad exposure to a bare minimum and only when playing with a parent.
You know what, that's a really good point, well worth considering. Since she's only just become 2 years old, I guess an iPad and iPhone would set her up well for the "terrible 2's"!
Will have to have a think.
11-17-2014, 04:55 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
I wouldnt go crazy, just be sensible about it. When our girl was 2 she played on the ipad a bit, she also played with her toys and her friends.

I personally dont think anythings wrong with letting them use an ipad for a bit, just everything in moderation. Its like our grandparents not wanting 2 or 3 year olds to watch any TV whatsoever

As a kid i used to love my computer but also played football and went out a lot. There were some kids back then who played non stop on the computer, didnt socialise or do exercise. Again everything in moderation