★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How Long Does It Take You Guys To Build A Game

11-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
How Long Does It Take You Guys To Build A Game

One you finished the artwork and logic how long on average doe it take you or your team to finish a game? Curious because I got a quote from an American company saying it would take them 30 to 45 days. We built the very same game in 4 days. Our team worked from 8 am to 11pm but we got it done.
11-15-2014, 08:19 AM
We have been working part time on ours for nearly 5 years... it varies

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram

11-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSPIN View Post
One you finished the artwork and logic how long on average doe it take you or your team to finish a game? Curious because I got a quote from an American company saying it would take them 30 to 45 days. We built the very same game in 4 days. Our team worked from 8 am to 11pm but we got it done.
The time required depends on the game & the technology to be used.
As for the quote you received from the company, they would have considered the cost of creating supporting documentation, flexible architecture & testing etc...
11-15-2014, 02:21 PM
In general, quality requires iteration. You might be able to complete something simple in 4 days, but is it really as polished and balanced as it could be?

Personally, I don't think I've worked on a project shorter than 6 months, but then, I've never worked on a project with a very small scope.
11-15-2014, 04:21 PM
So you did exceptionally long days so lets says 4 people x 8 days = 32 days.

Now if the company put 2 people on it as part of their jobs you could easily see how it could take over a month.

The amount of time take will always vary depending on gameplay, graphics, QA, scope and so on. There is no magic number.

Companies will also quote times based on their availability. For example I am getting some studio stuff installed at work and they said 2 weeks while is actually only going to take them a day and half but it took that long to organise workers and parts.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
11-15-2014, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
We have been working part time on ours for nearly 5 years... it varies

Are you not concerned that the market changes too fast to take that long to develop a game?
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Are you not concerned that the market changes too fast to take that long to develop a game?
doesn't seem to hurt blizzard

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
11-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
doesn't seem to hurt blizzard
Sorry I am new. Blizzard must be a big brand. I will check them out. Thanks again.
11-16-2014, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Sorry I am new. Blizzard must be a big brand. I will check them out. Thanks again.
Is this sarcasm?

Most of my games take a week or so, working 3-4 hours a day. If it is going to take too much longer I don't like to risk it, because the life of a game seems so short.
11-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Quote:
We started thinking it would take 6 months. Scope changed dramatically, constant technology changes etc. We honestly don't think we can make enough money to justify a 5 year development life but the fact we worked in our spare time and kept our overheads low means that there is little risk. We just hope somebody enjoys it.

Anyway my point is, dev time can vary. My favourite thing to tell people when they ask how long it takes to do something is "How long is a piece of string?"

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram