★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Collect precious crystals and avoid asteroids to earn points. Complete missions and unlock achievements. Close encounters boost your score, chained moves for maximum scoring!

One-touch controls couldn't be simpler. Choose from 4 ships, each with different capabilities. Earn all of the achievements and work your way up the leaderboards!
11-15-2014, 09:16 AM
This was another little game on my radar, and coming directly from the brilliant Space Expedition, this felt like a continue soaring in space now.

I will give you more infos in a few hours and i even would gift this to someone with a video possibility to capture the beauty of this way deeper going highscore chaser than i thought in first place.

It's either addictive as hell, or you will delete it a minute later, my guess.

11-15-2014, 10:09 PM
I played this on android and it's pretty cool

Game Center ID: copaeci
11-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Was led here thanks to Qwertz nominating Space Strafer in the GOTW thread and I'm glad he did. What a little beauty of a high score chaser!

I think the one touch control is Whale Trail-esque, except this game plays in portrait orientation. Your Spaceship is headed towards an asteroid belt and you need to stay alive for as long as you can, racking up mad points along the way.

Graze asteroids, collect crystals, find a gun, shoot asteroids, raise your score multiplier, use crystals to unlock new ships, complete missions, and other fun stuff. I'm rubbish at explaining what makes a game good, y'all are gonna just have to trust me.

It's been another fine week for iOS: Monument Valley expansion, Space Expedition and Framed to name a few of the quality releases. It'd be a shame if Space Strafer got lost in the rush.

9 Leaderboards, 19 achievements.

Currently there are 7 (seven) players.

It's $0.99 with no IAP.
11-16-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm really glad to see a highscore giant is joining this very difficult, yet so rewarding and beautiful one-hander game.

Hint for the 8th player to download this gem: read all the hints after dying to get to know the important tips for your next best highscore.

If you liked Space Beats Saga, give this one a try.

PS: Woot...he's not ahead of me, yet. *opens the champagne*

Edit: NO save/pause option, leave the app or get a call - restart. Really hope i'm not in my highscore session. Might contact the Devs...
11-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Try it on your PC or Mac: spacestrafer.com

Scoring tips: http://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceStrafer...ing_mechanics/
11-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Yes this is definitely good fun. I'm going to nominate it too, in hopes more people will try it out. The GotW thread has helped me discover a lot of good stuff lately. Glad you guys nominated it or I wouldn't have noticed it.

It's strange but the first ship you get seems to be the best one.

Right after posting this I unlocked the last ship, "The Mycos" and I like it the best. It's got complete radar of all objects and the guns are better too.

Last edited by Anotherkellydown; 11-16-2014 at 10:04 PM.
11-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Qwertz and Andy. This is a really compelling high score game. I love the blocky backgrounds and scoring possibilities.
I'm not a huge fan of games that require constant taps to control, but this one is worthwhile. I do wish grazing asteroids was just a bit easier/less tappity. I'll live.
11-17-2014, 03:42 AM
Nice to see some company on the leaderboard.

Constantly/lots of tapping makes me crazy and usually all those games get deleted very fast...but this pearl is simply an outstanding exception.

Omg, congrats on that score, Guise !

I could have sworn that i made my score with the Beta, but no, seems the Cruiser did mine, too. Strafing seems way easier due to those wings and it's not as twitchy to control as the Beta.
11-17-2014, 05:41 AM
I'm jumping in.
I don't use my phone for games, and often times one handers that use portrait don't feel right on iPad. They are made for smaller devices it seems. Anyone else playing this on iPad?