★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ClockRocket's Laser Core is available! $0.99

09-09-2009, 10:10 AM
ClockRocket's Laser Core is available! $0.99

Insane retro sci-fi laser blasting action!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Clock*Rocket games transports you to a microscopic world within a powerful super-comptuer. Here, armed only with a quick-firing nano-laser, you must defend the computer system from a legion of holographic viruses and vicious nano-bot enemies!

Easy-to-play: drag your finger across the screen to swivel the nano-laser (like a 'paddle controller' from yester-year), tap the screen to fire! Protect the super-computer's central processing core

Keywords: game, retro, shooter, action, sci-fi, arcade, reaction, laser

- Wicked high-speed shooting action!
- Gorgeous retro graphics and explosive visuals!
- Rich sound effects and music.
- Simple motion controls: drag left or right to change laser blaster position (clockwise / counter-clockwise)
- Simple shooting controls: tap the screen and the laser will fire instantly from its current position

Languages: English

Requirements: iPhone operating system version 2.2.1 or later

Copyright 2009, Clock*Rocket Games. Visit us online at: www.clockrocket.com

Let us know what you think!
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Loving the retro sci-fi look to this, especially the colors. Curios to see how the swivel paddle controls work.

Front Page Tug Boat Chief Engineer
Check out the awesome Fuzion: Age of Wordcraft website
Follow me and the game on Twitter
preview thread (Fuzion is still in development)

09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Downloading this now, the icon for the game is totally 80's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Feel like playing TRON the back ground, totally awesome to kill time.
Nice graphic, if follow the 80's the fire sound it's different right?
Laser sound should be something like....star war laser gun...
One suggestion.... the pause button is a bit too near to the control...I always press the wrong button.
other then that, it's worth a download.
09-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Initial Impressions

This is a great twitch shooter!

Control is spot on - imagine you are playing Tempest only inside-out and you have an idea of how this feels to play.

I think you can control things several ways, but I found it easiest to slide my finger left/right along the bottom of the screen, when you let go you fire. Want to fire again? Just tap. There is a dotted line along your fire path, so it's easy to line up shots.

Polygonal bits are flying towards your blocks, which you must defend. They blow up real nice when you shoot them, broken into little polygons. There are several different enemy types, including a red one which jumps around - fortunately there is a klaxon sounding just before they show up - my advice: if there is no immediate threat to your blocks, just start shooting in one lane, it will eventually cross your path and get blasted.

The game is well polished with a nice coat of 80's chrome and Tron looking game play (polygons with edge highlighting.) While the music is good, I found it to be the one thing that didn't fit the theme - it felt too "new" compared to everything else. If it were up to me, I'd replace the drums with a synth kit, and the lead with something moog-y, or a clean kit for the drums and make it sound a bit more clean like 80's rock.

Don't get me wrong though - the music fits the game play well, and varies nicely between levels and between. Sound effects are all great.

This tops the list as my favorite Clock Rocket game, thanks for the code and the opportunity to play!

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
PS> A neat way to spruce up the 'click to continue' screen between levels would be to have a scanner line sweep across the screen (leaving behind a bit of a ghost trail and/or traces of the animated background used in game) while it 'scans for enemies'

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm not so keen on this.

It's all very nicely done but it gets very boring very quickly - nothing changes in terms of background - not even a colour change - you just get the aliens coming at you faster and faster with some variation in how they move. The movement seems to stick for me sometimes too - which almost always ends up in me losing some of the core.

I played to level 10 and stopped because I just lost interest.

You may feel differently of course but that's how I feel about this title.

Jamie.
09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I kept expecting a 'super' baddie that would take two hits to kill. Got to like level 18 or so.

Another addendum: you lose the game when a baddie hits the core (i.e. both blocks in a position are gone already...) Some sort of sweep out (green or red like the enemies) or pixelation mess or similar effect when losing the game would be cool.

Quote:
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Played to level 15 so far. I must say it is a very polished game that is fun. Needs more variety but plays well and is a good time killer. I like it.

On a side note I was watching the Running Man on TV just now.
09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Does look pretty good, looking forward to more impressions...

Currently Playing - Space Miner / Wooden Labyrinth 3D / Star Hogs / Isotope / Pool Rebel
Front Page Tug Boat "Radar"
Beta Testing - iPhone 3G S⃣