★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Final Fantasy Games on Sale!

11-18-2014, 07:47 AM
Final Fantasy Games on Sale!

Square Enix currently has a sale on all Final Fantasy games.
Final Fantasy VI 10.99
Final Fantasy IV 7.99
Final Fantasy II 3.99
Final Fantasy III 7.99
Final Fantasy V 7.99
that's just a few I included here
11-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I know this isn't acceptable but I've never played a FF game before. In fact, I've never really given most RPGs a chance. I'm HUGE into the Zelda franchise and that type of gameplay though. Do any of these fit that mold somewhat? Are any FF game a must-play over the others?

Favorite developers: Grumpyface, Michael Brough, Rocketcat, Donut Games, Nitrome, Orange Pixel, Radiangames, Llamasoft (come back!)

11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
^I'd say 1, 5 and 6 are must-plays, but none of the FF titles are zelda-ish.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Final Fantasy Dimensions on sale too? I know IAP are hard to track but the full game there is $7.99 and the description says 50% off. I missed that sale the first time and I may get it this time.
11-18-2014, 10:27 AM
6 is an absolute must. 4 is pretty good also. As much as I love 5, I felt it had this cookie cutter feel, more so than it's predecessors. Maybe that's because I haven't played 5 in forever so I forgot the details.

Anyways long story short, make 6 your top priority purchase.

Edit: The question I have is, are any of these incompatible with ios 8? For example the world ends with you currently does not work at all with ios 8. But I've read square is working on fixing some of their other titles.
11-18-2014, 04:59 PM
They should all be good to go with iOS 8. Most of their games that aren't say they're working on it, which doesn't include FF games. FF 6, in my opinion, is one of the greatest RPGs ever made, but Zelda it is not. Gameplay is what drives Zelda, story drives Final Fantasy.
11-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smes3817 View Post
I know this isn't acceptable but I've never played a FF game before. In fact, I've never really given most RPGs a chance. I'm HUGE into the Zelda franchise and that type of gameplay though. Do any of these fit that mold somewhat? Are any FF game a must-play over the others?
Play Oceanhorn if you want something like Zelda.
11-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Question, is No. 6, number 3 in the US and released on SNES?
11-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugimulm View Post
Question, is No. 6, number 3 in the US and released on SNES?
Excellent question. Does anyone know how these IOS FF's line up with the SNES versions? I bought the IOS FF 4 assuming it was the SNES FF 2, though I haven't played it yet.
11-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7905 View Post
Excellent question. Does anyone know how these IOS FF's line up with the SNES versions? I bought the IOS FF 4 assuming it was the SNES FF 2, though I haven't played it yet.
Sure, no problem.

FF1 iOS = FF1 in all forms. This version is based on PSP version.
FF2 iOS = NES FF2 (Japan) *not* SNES FF2. Also named FF2 on PS1, GBA, and PSP. This version is based on PSP version.
FF3 iOS = NES FF3 (Japan) *not* SNES FF3. Also named FF3 on DS, PSP, and PC. This version is based on the DS version.
FF4 iOS = SNES FF2. Also named FF4 on PS1, GBA, DS, and PSP. This version is based on the DS remake.
FF5 iOS = SNES FF5 (Japan). Also named FF5 on PS1 and GBA. This version was created for mobiles.
FF6 iOS = SNES FF3. Also named FF6 on PS1 and GBA. This version was created for mobiles.
FF4 The After Years iOS = A sequel to FF4. Originally released in Japan on feature phones, then ported to the Wii and PSP. The iOS version is an original version created for mobiles in the style of the FF4 DS remake.
FFD = Dimensions was originally released on Japanese feature phones and later ported to smartphones.

To those asking, which should I buy?

If you want a good story, FF6 is the best choice. If you want a lot of character customization and fun party-building, FF5 is the best choice. If you want a good balance of the two, FF4 offers that in its remade form. Most folks agree on 1/4/5/6's quality if not their specific ranking. 2 is the series black sheep. The After Years isn't terribly well-liked either. 3 and Dimensions are alright but in my opinion, they're missing a certain something.