★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Can I use other game's arts?

11-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Can I use other game's arts?

I use all kind of pictures I can find. UI & items, I believe they have no copyrights. A character, better not use. But how about a skeleton, a zombie? For example, I can use some tools and get all monster animations in Kingdom Rush, can I use them to do another Tower Defense game? Or other type of games totally irrelevant? How do you judge you crossed the line or not?

In case you like both match-3 game & Fruit Ninja:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gemania/id471333673?mt=8
11-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Don't think you should use graphics from any other game without permission

If you had a game which was a huge hit you wouldn't want other devs stealing your artwork you spent time and money developing. Do you honestly think its okay to take graphics from Kingdom rush?????

11-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Use other games art?
You're doing it wrong!
Games are art.
Be an artist.
Go make art.
11-20-2014, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzeng View Post
I use all kind of pictures I can find. UI & items, I believe they have no copyrights. A character, better not use. But how about a skeleton, a zombie? For example, I can use some tools and get all monster animations in Kingdom Rush, can I use them to do another Tower Defense game? Or other type of games totally irrelevant? How do you judge you crossed the line or not?
Unless you have the expressed permission of the original artist/rights holder *or* it's public domain art, you've crossed the line. You might not get caught, but you're still stealing assets from hardworking artists without credit or compensation, and that's wrong both legally and morally.
11-20-2014, 02:31 AM
No!!
U can get into big trouble if the owner want too
Do not even think about it
And as an artist, I will have no problem of u using my old project as long as I get credited, or payed
11-20-2014, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
Unless you have the expressed permission of the original artist/rights holder *or* it's public domain art, you've crossed the line. You might not get caught, but you're still stealing assets from hardworking artists without credit or compensation, and that's wrong both legally and morally.
I don't think the artist have the right to sell his art once he assign to the game company. He might based on the deal he had, but it's preferable to get your own art.
11-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madreviewer View Post
I don't think the artist have the right to sell his art once he assign to the game company. He might based on the deal he had, but it's preferable to get your own art.
You are assuming all devs have a publisher. If he publishes it himself (or their group themselves) they have the right to give permission be it with or without payment (however they decide it should be) to have their game assets used.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
11-20-2014, 03:29 AM
I'm stunned this dev is even asking. Unless the graphics are public domain (you can normally tell as they look quite bad) of course you can't just use them

At least ask the dev first !!
11-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
You are assuming all devs have a publisher. If he publishes it himself (or their group themselves) they have the right to give permission be it with or without payment (however they decide it should be) to have their game assets used.
"Based on the deal" that's why I put it there
11-21-2014, 12:30 AM
I don't get what I want to know. Simple no is just as ignorant as simple yes. Someone draw a spoon in his app and other people can never again illustrate a spoon anywhere? If they look alike?

Of course you can scavenge & adapt arts form other sources, recreate for your own use. Items and UI patterns are never problems I believe. I just wonder those fall between characters & natural objects such as demons, zombies, etc.

In case you like both match-3 game & Fruit Ninja:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gemania/id471333673?mt=8