★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looking for Good Tower Defense Games

11-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Looking for Good Tower Defense Games

Hello again - sorry if this has been endlessly discussed already but wondering what other TD games you guys like / can recommend.

For my the KR games are truly the best, but close second comes Fieldrunners 1/2. Others that I've loved include jelly defence, gedefense (back in the day) oh the list goes on.

Someone earlier mentioned Crystal Siege, which I'd not heard of and am downloading now (will get to it in a few weeks after origins!), so thanks for that tip !
11-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyinlondon View Post
Hello again - sorry if this has been endlessly discussed already but wondering what other TD games you guys like / can recommend.

For my the KR games are truly the best, but close second comes Fieldrunners 1/2. Others that I've loved include jelly defence, gedefense (back in the day) oh the list goes on.

Someone earlier mentioned Crystal Siege, which I'd not heard of and am downloading now (will get to it in a few weeks after origins!), so thanks for that tip !
Cursed Tower Defense is my absolute number two favorite. I can't find a TD that comes close to topping KR but Cursed is as close as it's come. That one has a permanent spot on my phone.

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar

11-20-2014, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
Cursed Tower Defense is my absolute number two favorite. I can't find a TD that comes close to topping KR but Cursed is as close as it's come. That one has a permanent spot on my phone.
Yes I've enjoyed that too, was a slow burner to start with but got great when I eventually clicked with it. Not sure about the replay value though?
11-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I'm assuming you meant Cursed Treasure 2? If so, I completed agree with you.
11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7905 View Post
I'm assuming you meant Cursed Treasure 2? If so, I completed agree with you.
curious, anyone ever heard of cursed treasure 1 ?!
11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Quote:

You might also like Man at Arms TD, it's similar to Kingdom Rush in terms of look and TD mechanics, but throws in a card collecting and crafting twist to the usual TD formula. For standard, but excellent, TD games I'd recommend Anomaly Defenders, OTTTD, and Cursed Treasure 2.

Last edited by Jake7905; 11-20-2014 at 07:00 AM.
11-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Quote:

Also give the Sentinel series a try.
11-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Quote:
The last reasonably pure TD that did it for me was Defender Chronicles 2. At least slightly innovative, with extreme replayability thanks to the RPG aspects and hero progression, and unusual tactical depth.

I've heard very good things about Tower Dwellers, though, and how it tweaks the KR formula in nice ways.

Anomaly Defenders is super-polished, if a bit traditional (though with a nice ability tree), Pirate Legends TD and Empires of Sands are basically (very nice) reskins of Kingdom Rush, Man at Arms and Prime World: Defenders throw collective cards into the mix (which actually do a LOT for tactical depth, as the player can suddenly choose between hundreds of combinations of tweaked and evolved towers, and combine and sell and collect cards which all add to the stratregic considerations), and the Sentinels series (as mentioned above) are all excellent TDs.

If yer willing to step further away from the traditional TD formula, there are a few games which provide enough tower defensiveness to fulfill a similar need, but that are much more tactically satisfying. Block Fortress, Dungeon Defenders (especially the Eternity remake for the PC, and the upcoming sequel), rymdkapsel, Space Station: Frontier and Bug Heroes 1/2 all give me a similar sensation as regular TDs, but with much greater variety.

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 11-20-2014 at 07:26 AM.
11-20-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't even think defender chronicles 2 is on the app store anymore. For some weird reason.

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / The World Ends With You / Kingdom Rush Series / Implosion
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar
11-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7905 View Post
You might also like Man at Arms TD, it's similar to Kingdom Rush in terms of look and TD mechanics, but throws in a card collecting and crafting twist to the usual TD formula. For standard, but excellent, TD games I'd recommend Anomaly Defenders, OTTTD, and Cursed Treasure 2.
Thanks, tried many of the recommendations, but not Man at Arms, so will d/l that