Real Time Data on my Google ad for my game 2048v2

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, Nov 22, 2014.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Today I started an ad on google for my game 2048v2 and as promised I am sharing the results to hopefully add to all of our real time data info to help make better decisions on how to promote our games

This ad was point at IOS player
    In 1 hours it got 629,001 views, 2,713 click cost $120.59. I set a budget of $125.00 for the day so might have ended and will continue tomorrow
    The download info I will hopefully supply later once my programmer gives it to me.

I just started an ad for Android. Result I will supply tomorrow

The game is on Apple at this link
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id937669142

The game is on iTunes at this link
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.firstSPIN.V2_2048

If you download the game please post here so that I can deduct that from the final results.

The campaign is a toe testing add campaign to evaluate the results of investing in advertising. I will test various websites and will also supply those results.

This game was introduced on Apple and it had promising results with the little help Apple give all games to give you a 100 or more downloads and the daily player return to the game was good enough to test an ad campaign.

I don't know how to show the ad here, so I will give you the copy

There is a picture of 2048 logo on the left.
    Main copy is
    In large text: Upgrade - 2 new features
    2nd line :Move tiles in 8 directions & Multi Join tiles
    Bottom line : Renew your addiction with a faster-smarter 2048

Very simple using the 2048 yellow/ orangel ogo to draw attention and the first line to get them to go to the 2nd line and hopefully to the game.

I will supply more data as I get it.

I hope this helps a bit for those considering advertising.

2. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I just check and this my give some concern.

I set the daily budget for the IOS ad to $125. I then added another ad for Android and set a daily budget for $75.

I just check and the IOS ad has spent $144.25. I booked for 2 days at $125 a day. I paused the ad to find out why it did not stop at $125.00
    Total results so far are

747487 views, 3,241 clicks c0st $144.25

Total amount put into the account is $250.00 and the setting for payment is manual. Good thing seeing that they ran over. If some of you know why let me know.

The Android has not started for some reason. I will watch it to make sure it stops at $75.00 and if it goes beyond find out why.

3. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    My program told me there are 47 downloads so far for IOS

4. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Just changed setting to USA for target. Before it was world wide. Getting click from some unusual countries. Keep in mind this is toe testing

5. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Just put both ads on pause because the pay amount is higher than the amount input into the order. I am going to sleep and don't want to wake up with a big bill even though mine is a prepaid ad. Tomorrow I will run the android ad for the game and compare results plus I changed the setting for target countries to the USA. Let you know how it works out tomorrow my time which is Hong Kong / China time.:)

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That means about 0.5% of your clicks turn into a download. This seems fairly low however you are pushing a clone in a saturated market so maybe that is good.

7. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    So far I am satisfied with Google taking money and supplying immediate response. It is easy to understand why they are such a big powerful machine. When the 1st push started the map started to light up right around the globe.

The product I am pushing is a rebuild of a game that became one of the most addictive games. When I was in Canada I made a lot of money taking products that were successful and trying to make them better. It worked for me with a lottery product which I will make into an app soon, remodeling large homes in prime areas and redesigning iPod case. If you look at my game 2048v2 you will see there are 2 major changes to the way the game is played, I am basing its success on those. I am doing the same with another game and will look to others that have opportunity written on them. Time will tell if my hunch is right. That is the amazing thing about the internet. Once you find a way to expose your wears the final decision rests with the public.

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    This is about 24 hrs after I started the toe test with google.

Today compared to yesterday the traffic is about 3 times.

I paused the ad yesterday because it went over my limit. Don't know why other than that google cannot stop on a dime.

I started a 2nd toe test ad for android. For some reason that ad is approved but there is no data for impressions. Still don't understand

I also started another toe test ad for another game just released on google play. That game is called pianoTap. I started it this afternoon but the same situation there is no activity.

I deposit money into the account so the account has cash in it. Not sure if I made a mistake in the setting but I believe it is the same setting as I used for IOS.

I will keep you posted. I am check every 15 minutes to see if there is any activity.

What I can say about google so far is when it happens it is very fast. If this can be a method to ignite the viral fire for a game then you can expect results in hours if you have enough cash into the promo

9. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Modifying an existing product can be a road to success. However the 2048 market is full of people who have made minor modifications like yours, I might be wrong, but I find it hard to see it take any foothold to have the viral success you are going for.

I also think as it is not much fun to copy an open source game, make a couple of minor modifications and be proud of what I made.

10. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #10 1stSPIN, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Thank you for the info. You are right if allowing the tiles to move diagonally and multi joining tiles in the direction of the swipe are not new then it will crash and burn.

Steve Jobs modifying Sony's Walkman is what the world is all about.

Original ideas are worth their weight in gold but those are far and few in between the making things better. Do a 360 pan and I am sure that most of the things you will see have gone through many changes trying to make them better to capture the market.

11. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    More update

The traffic is still strong for 2048v2. Good sign. Means that there is some merit in using Google.

Still having a problem getting the new ads to show. Everything is the same as for IOS , the only change it is for android. They mention key word but I don't see an area for inserting keywords for the ad. Of course I would like that because it would help to target the ad at existing 2048 players.

I set up a word ad. Don't think it will be as powerful because you cannot control text design and size. But this is experimental so lets see what it will do.

All in all it is a lot of FUN:)

I hope the info is helpful

12. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Latest Update: 9:30 pm China time

The download number for yesterday are a touch over 100, the 40+ was an earlier number. I think that can be improved on and I will work on it with the next ad. The aim is to get 2048 players to download and try this game and then make a decision is they like it enough to switch and most important of all tell a friend. I never expected google downloads to payoff 1st round traffic. I am looking at how many dollars is needed to build a critical mass to get a game to go viral. Going viral is the only way i believe you can make money. I think sitting and hoping your game will be seen is an extreme long shot. If you think you are sitting on a winner you have to find a way to have enough funds to get a few 1,000 people playing it to start things moving.

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #13 1stSPIN, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Just in Update

Google just ran to toe test aimed at android users.

One was for pianoTap and the other for 2048v2

pianoTap was a designed graphic and 2048v2 a word ad.

$50 spent on pianoTap and $100 on 2048v2

The results from what I can see is about 4 downloads with very limited play.

Checked the map and it seems pianoTap got the downloads and the countries where India and Malaysia.
    4 is not going to create and buzz unless I would luck out.

The IOS using a similiar amount of money produced 100+ downloads.

I will need to see the figures in the morning. I will report the results then

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I agree with you that you need to get a few thousand to download to really determine if your product is good or not.

If I was going to spend money on advertising I would use facebook mobile ads. I have seen people post okay results with them. The numbers you are posting don't tempt me at all although I would be curious to see the results of some of the more popular advertising.

15. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #15 1stSPIN, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    More Updates 9:33 am China time

The volume of traffic on 2048v2 for android has increased mainly in the USA. It is 4 times what it was before the ad. I need my programmer co-producer to give some dats. The end time for google admob is about 4:30pm China time. That will be the final total and I will let you know when I get it. Might go to the beach again today so it will be later in the evening my time.

I just started the same IOS ad which got about 100+ downloads but all of it is targeted on the USA which is evening there now and should be a good time. The last time I ran that ad (IOS) it did not show so I increased the click rate to $0.40. If any of you know which number turns the meter on let me know

I will give you the info as it comes in

Shooting from the hip it seems that IOS has better results than android. I noticed in the setting you can target phone model and countries so those results could change by changing those settings.

Still have a few more dollars deposited in that account so I will run it dry and then give you the results.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    It is a bid model. So the number depends who else is also buying ads. For example around xmas last year some advertisers were paying almost $10 for an install which made it hard for anyone small to advertise. It worked out okay for me cause I generated a good amount of income relative to downloads during that period.

17. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    These must be fore paid games. What percent does Apple and Google take on a paid game?

18. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    They take 0%.

I am fairly sure they are free games. When I play my game nearly all the ads are for free to play games.

I believe game of war is one of the best paying for this. I use Chartboost for Ads. For Chartboost I mainly get paid for installs. I get paid a little for clicks sometimes (I assume for paid apps).

For google ads I get paid for every click but in the cents.

19. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #19 1stSPIN, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    6:46 PM Waiting for the ads to kick in. I pointed it at USA which is asleep at this time so I don't expect much and UK which is in the kill zone time of day wise. Also I set up another ad for London England. :)

Today's ad revenue is for views and clicks 250% higher than yesterday. The numbers are too low to give credit to google. I am reporting it as a matter of fact.

Also google reports 31 converts on one of my ads but I don't see that result. The game is pianoTap which is only available on android, Apple is in review. I mentioned it before and the people on the leader board are from India and Malaysia, judging by their score they just poked their heads in.

I am aware that the results on the leader board does not give the number of people playing and the number of times they play the game in a none WIFI zone.

Forgot to mention, Google at this moment has a total of $304.42. I gave you the number of downloads on 1 ad but there have been 3 in total. When I get a hold of my guy I will try to get some accurate download numbers then I will report.

20. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Google ran my 2048v2 ads pointed at the USA at 9:00 am New York time. They went through $110.88 in a few seconds. Got 661 clicks not sure of the downloads but from the admob ad rotations I think it was next to 0. I got much better response by targeting all countries. I would have liked the ads to run in the evening USA time but did not put it on pause.

I am also running an ad targeted at London England. Got 64 clicks and ran through $9.57. I am advertising SUDOKUit which is a 2 x 2 Sudoku puzzle that his hareder than a 3 x 3 and only takes seconds to solve.

Both ads were pointed at IOS users.

The UK ad is hitting at the right time of day and it looks like for the number of shows the clicks are good. 25,897 rotations and 64 clicks. Results will come out in the wash tomorrow China time.

Take care, I hope this is helpful :)