★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Easier/Quicker ways to capture screenshots on iPhone6

11-23-2014, 12:02 AM
Easier/Quicker ways to capture screenshots on iPhone6

Since our game requires touch gestures (tapping, swiping, tilting etc) - we are having trouble capturing screenshots of some of the action sequences in our game.

The standard 2 button technique is impossible to execute while simultaneously trying to tap/swipe in the game (to activate the desired action screen sequence).
The accessibility button also doesn't work - takes too long.

Do any of you guys know an alternative method that requires us to only press 1 button.
Or maybe an app that lets us do this?

Last edited by s0ckman; 11-23-2014 at 12:11 AM.
11-23-2014, 12:13 AM
If you used unity to make your game you could use the unity remote app to do this and snap the screenshot on your computer while doing the action on your phone.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
11-23-2014, 01:58 AM
Rather OTT, but if you're running through XCode you could use the capture GPU Frame button. This is a single button press on the mac and does a massive download/analysis of the gpu frame. You can then screenshot on the device at your leisure or just grab the frame buffer out of xcode even.

Alternatively, you could try to roll your own screenshot code in your app triggered by a on-screen button press. It'd probably involve a coder doing a bit of work though, glReadPixels at the appropriate point and write it out to a file.
11-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Yosemite with Quicktime allows recording video from your device while you play. You could select frames from the recorded video.

Games from the crazy pig:
www.madpiggames.com
11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Why not just have a second person using those buttons while the first one plays? Seems less hassle than coding or installing stuff. I still do that when grabbing "action screens" for Gamereactor. :-)
11-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, ended up using Yosemite with Quicktime, worked like a charm