★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "More than just another tower defense title, the unique features and creative take on the genre have built a solid, highly-addictive game with simple, intuitive in-game controls that keep the action moving.
4/5 Twinfinite

Fat Chicken is very fun yet challenging. Weve enjoyed it thoroughly and couldnt find anything really to complain about.
5/5 Gaming Cypher

"Fat Chicken is a great game that offers up entertaining gameplay with that of an amazing soundtrack and beautiful, cartoony-like visuals.
8/10 - BioGamer Girl

Fatten up the herds and rake in the cash - a REVERSE TOWER DEFENSE game where you build a factory farm armed to the udders with towers that provide feed and water to the oncoming herds of farm animals. Upgrade your towers to boost their efficiency and don't forget to fend off pesky protesters with your well-armed force of rent-a-cops! Heck, you may even need to ward off a UFO or two!

*Huge Campaign - Work your way across the U.S. hitting 13 different locations and 26 challenging levels on your quest to climb the ranks and overthrow the Fat Chicken Meat Co.

*Build your farm and staff up with hired hands to meet your Meat Quotas. Strategic Tower Defense gameplay has never been so "udderly awesome!"

*Put your R&D department to work - Complete missions to unlock new equipment and tasty upgrades for your farm.

*Hire farm hands and "heroes" to herd, help and heal your livestock.

*Full Music Soundtrack - 17 original tracks from award winning composer Jason Graves, fresh off his success with the latest Tomb Raider reboot and the Dead Space series.

Everything is not as Old MacDonald as it seems.

kilswich's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
12-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Gotta say, this looks pretty awesome. The trailer is attention grabbing too. I will be on the lookout for reviews and impressions to see if the game play lives up to the cool theme and graphics; sure buy if so.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve

12-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
Gotta say, this looks pretty awesome. The trailer is attention grabbing too. I will be on the lookout for reviews and impressions to see if the game play lives up to the cool theme and graphics; sure buy if so.
Thanks, slewis7! We appreciate the feedback! We're hoping to have some reviews pop up throughout the day and the coming weeks.
12-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilswich View Post
Thanks, slewis7! We appreciate the feedback! We're hoping to have some reviews pop up throughout the day and the coming weeks.
148apps just posted a review. Unfortunately, just a lukewarm one.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve
12-05-2014, 10:32 AM
New Screenshot from Fat Chicken

12-05-2014, 02:28 PM
Fat Chicken On Display at the Smithsonian Art Museum

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know, Fat Chicken will be showcased at the Smithsonian Museum of Art on Sunday, December 7th as part of the Indies From the Middle Pop-Up Arcade.

If you're in the Washington DC area this Sunday, please stop by to check out the Fat Chicken and hang. There are a bunch of great games being showcased so there will be plenty to see.

Hope to see some of you there!
12-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Fat Chicken is too cute to eat but if he get any fatter, I will eat him
12-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Ok, after getting the code and playing for the last hour, here are my impressions.

The game is about feeding, watering, and hormoning up chickens, pigs, cows and other animals while they are on the path from the stable to the meat factory, placing towers along the path.

There is country music, cubically colorful environment, and as the game sais, even more elements like protesters and ufos trying to steal the animals to free them from slaughter. However, i never got that far, and here is why:

1)Camera controls. specifically the rotation, it should be changed to standard pinch and move one finger. As it is now, 2 finger dragging, it is counterintuitive to all other games with camera rotation.

2)There are heroes but with IAPs. And not like 3-4 free heroes, or even 1 free, ALL heroes cost from 1.99 to 2.99. What's more, each hero has positive AND negative things happening if you recruit them. What's up with that?

3)The difficulty balance. I admit, i'm no TD genius, but i have finished KRFrontiers, and played a lot of others. In this game, by the 4th mission i failed 2 times, and the 6th mission became borderline unplayable.
You have a limited budget when you start the round to place your tower, but in those missions it is TOO limited. For example, in mission 6, i had money only for 1 tower at the start. The game tells you you can relocate towers with a small cost, but this also takes precious seconds to do.
You place a tower, realise your animals are starving faster than you expected, so you tap relocate. 5 whole seconds later, your new tower is where your animals WERE, because by now they are dead from starvation. This forces you to restart again and again, for the very first single tower. On the 6th mission... That's where i stopped playing, as it lost all fun.

Suggestions:
1) change the camera rotation
2) give at least one free hero
3) remove the negatives from heroes. Who will ever want to buy them otherwise?
4) increase the starting money to place our towers
5) give some indication of how full the animals are of water/food/hormones, because the moment they start starving, it's too late to do something about it by tower placement.

It is a colorful game, the idea is new, instead of kill all creeps, keep all creeps alive.
But in it's current form, after the 1st mission, i found it a lot more frustrating than fun.

Thank you for the code, i hope other people post impressions too, to see if they agree with me or not.

Last edited by ramzarules; 12-05-2014 at 05:36 PM.
12-06-2014, 04:39 AM
After receiving a promo code and trialling the game, my initial impressions are similar to the previous poster.

It's an interesting concept - reverse Tower defense - where instead of destroying creeps, you select towers to buff animals to maximise revenue by fattening them up before they reach the slaughter-house.

I started playing on iPhone, but found the text too small, so installed it on iPad, where text and instructions displayed more clearly. On the iPhone there was too much awkward swiping and scrolling, which distracted from the game-play. The appstore description says optimized for iPhone, but it felt like a game ported to a smaller screen, which is probably exactly what happened, as a Mac version has been released recently on Steam. It's playable on the iPhone, but better on the iPad.

It's a nicely presented game, but after playing for a while, I realized the multiple in-game currencies (including murder-bucks) and various upgrades etc were a chore to understand, rather than fun to play, so I lost interest pretty quickly.

The frame rate seems to be displayed in the top right corner. And after exiting the game and returning later, the game became partially unresponsive.

Overall, this might appeal to someone who loves tower defense games, but may not capture the attention of casual players.
12-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback ramzarules and Red1 - we appreciate all of it. We have an update to the game that is waiting to be reviewed by Apple and I'm happy to say that it addresses many of your suggestions.

We've re-balanced many aspects of the game so it should be much less frustrating for players.

We showed off the game with the latest updates this weekend at the Smithsonian Art Museum to roughly 1,000 people and found their play-throughs to be much less frustrating and more delightful than previous play-throughs.

Again, thank you for posting feedback!