★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Robo

12-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Send a message via AIM to Caltsar
Robo

Several hours back I stumbled across Robo in the app store, and looking here at touch arcade's new games section it's very new. Seeing as no one has mentioned it yet, I figured I'd pop in to mention that I've been playing it almost nonstop, and it's a well thought out puzzle game. You play a Robot and push around boulders, bombs, mirrors and laser guns to clear a path to the exit. There's an excellent tutorial to quickly walk you through the various moves you can make, and the game is a pretty decent challenge.
12-18-2008, 01:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to terrett101
Looks pretty interesting. What's the variability like for the levels? It looks like you're timed as well, is that right? And do you die when crossing the lasers, it looks like the robot is in one of the screenshots.

12-18-2008, 01:35 AM
The levels have quite a bit of variability. I haven't run across too many puzzles that have very similar solutions yet. If you cross the lasers you do die (you also die if a bomb explodes next to you). You aren't timed, however, the time and number of moves it takes to complete a level are recorded in case you want to go back and try to minimize both numbers.

I've already been going back to play some of the levels again to try and improve my time
12-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltsar View Post
Several hours back I stumbled across Robo in the app store, and looking here at touch arcade's new games section it's very new. Seeing as no one has mentioned it yet, I figured I'd pop in to mention that I've been playing it almost nonstop, and it's a well thought out puzzle game. You play a Robot and push around boulders, bombs, mirrors and laser guns to clear a path to the exit. There's an excellent tutorial to quickly walk you through the various moves you can make, and the game is a pretty decent challenge.
Yikes --hate to say this but this sounds like another self-promotion

might give the game a try...but wait a second why would anybody be playing this at all when Rolando has come out ..... I am getting parranoid again!
12-18-2008, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parranoya View Post
Yikes --hate to say this but this sounds like another self-promotion
No self promotion, just not very active on these boards :P
12-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Quote:
No self promotion, just not very active on these boards :P
good to know ---I will give this a shot ---seems fun. Read all the reviews and its seems to have done very well on other mobiles.
12-18-2008, 04:05 AM
This review scared me sounds like there needs to be an undo button. Alio the Woodcutter would blow without an undo button.

http://mytreo.net/software-reviews/herocrafts-robo/
Quote:
Whenever you die you have to restart the level from scratch, making the game very unforgiving. This means that on later levels you can lose 5-10 minutes of careful puzzle solving by accidentally walking one square too far into a laser beam. The difficulty of the later levels will really challenge you. Often you’ll have to replay the same level 5-10 times as you work out what to do one step at a time.

As often you’ll move an item and soon realize you have made a mistake, it would be nice if there was an undo button to undo your last move. The only way to complete the level is to kill yourself and start the level again.
12-18-2008, 11:04 AM
there is an undo button, but it only allows you to undo one step. I personally have found situations where I've needed more than one step to undo, but the game is still fun besides that
12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Average number of steps per level?

Quote:
there is an undo button, but it only allows you to undo one step. I personally have found situations where I've needed more than one step to undo, but the game is still fun besides that
What's the average number of steps required to complete a level? I'm asking because if the average number is 100 steps then only being able to undo one step would be a major pain if you needed to go back 10 or 20 steps. You'd still have play through potentially 80 steps to get back to where you needed to be in the level. But being able to undo only one step is more playable if levels take an average of 10 or so steps.