★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Dungeons of Chaos is a retro-style 2D RPG that takes you on an epic journey with numerous spells, skills and tactical combat to employ in order to win the battle against evil. Huge locations to explore (both unique and randomised). Totally ad-free.

"Deeply immersive and a whole lot of fun, Dungeons of Chaos belongs on the iPad of any self-respecting 1980s role-playing fan." - iRumorsnow

"anyone with fond memories of CRPGs from the 1980s should at least give the Lite version a shot " -- TOUCHARCADE review 22 Jan 2015

"If Avernum and Ultima 4ish had a genius baby, this would be it." - Aldinach

"The little guy who made this game made a gem. [...] It's very fun and deep. Creating characters is the bomb. It's great!" -- anabolicMike

FEATURES:
- retro-style RolePlayingGame (RPG) in the spirit of old classics
- vast locations to explore in a top-down 2D tile-based view
- many different character classes, spells and skills to employ. Guilds can give access to advanced classes
- rewarding quests to fulfil
- atmospheric music, and detailed lighting and line-of-sight visual mechanics
- non-linear content and exploration: many locations exist outside the main storyline, with unique monsters and treasure and secrets
- some locations are fully randomised and different each time you play (procedural content generation). Some are randomised and re-settable.
- many rare item properties make for over 5,000,000 combinations that let your armour, weapons and accessories take on powerful bonuses
- defeat many different monsters with unique abilities and challenges. level up your characters and upgrade their abilities.
- find important NPCs to expand your skill sets, find magic books to boost your spell knowledge and improve your equipment by trading your bounty with various shop owners
- intricate fight mechanics: trees and similar obstacles will influence ranged attacks; flanking or being flanked makes an encounter change from being easy to being dangerous, and vice versa; using the right boost/support/attack spells and skills will prove vital for survival
- control a party of 6 characters, which you can generate using 9 starter classes and unique character features
- try out different classes, experience different randomised locations, find different equipment, for great replay value
- various difficulty levels. Higher difficulty yields better loot but also much tougher enemies and game mechanics

DETAILED GAME MECHANICS, TACTICS and HINTS are available at the support website https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com.

DEVICE SUPPORT:
Dungeons of Chaos is designed to work on iPad2 and better, however those that prefer a fast walk speed (movement) should use at least an iPad 3 or iPadAir2 or similar/newer device.

For any problems or suggestions we would love to hear from you at: dungeonsofchaos@gmail.com .

The App contains a complete storyline and numerous side quests with many hours of gameplay. For the most direct route, at least 10 hours. For a full exploration and player advancement strategy, in excess of 50 hours.
12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Oh, no.... *sigh*

iPad only. That would have been an instabuy.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

12-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Oh, no.... *sigh*

iPad only. That would have been an instabuy.
Same here. Contacted the dev to ask, you never know
12-11-2014, 06:43 PM
I did give the free version a go. I'm not really a big fan of the environment.
The map is just way too dark and cramped. The fighting portion of the
game has potential though.

You can cast spells , fire a bow and fight with swords etc. You will need to rest
to recharge enough mana for spells. It has the option for autobattles if
you prefer to go that route.

I just don't enjoy moving around in a dark map that makes it hard to see.
You need to hit the mini map,all the time ,to ensure you did not miss a route.
This slows the game down and takes some of the fun out of the exploring.

I'm not sure if the maps change for the better, later on. The demo was all I
tried.
12-11-2014, 07:05 PM
why I created the game the way I did

Hi there,
I am the dev of Dungeons of Chaos. first of all thanks a lot for your feedback!

I have replied in a lengthy fashion on my support site: https://dungeonsofchaos.wordpress.com/

Essentially the game specs (size of landscape, touch control targets, pathfind) make it too hard to use on smaller screen devices. And as to iOS vs. uniform, I made a choice to try out XCode after failing to finish the game using Delphi (in 1990), Javascript (2005) and Flash (2007). I just thought I give it a try and it just worked out fine, but left me no choice to simply migrate it to Unity for example. It as in a sense not a decision AGAINST any particular platform, it is just where my abilities and choices took me at the time.

I will most likely spend my time over the next 12 months split between developing Chapter 2 (as an App update), and starting my second game project.

I have just started to get used to Unity(2D) so my future work will be cross-platform.

Having said that, if there is overwhelming feedback from he community re DoC, I would consider spending time to port it. But I am a hobby programmer and would start from scratch (does anyone know a good tilemap rendered for Unity2D?).

I would be delighted if you could try the game out, maybe borrow an iPad from a friend for a few days? The LITE version (no ads!) has ALL functionalities including saving your game, however you cannot level up your characters. That way you can play it and let me know what you think without having to spend money on an app that will sit on someone else's iPad.

Thanks,
Volker
12-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemineye62 View Post
I did give the free version a go. I'm not really a big fan of the environment.
The map is just way too dark and cramped. The fighting portion of the
game has potential though.

You can cast spells , fire a bow and fight with swords etc. You will need to rest
to recharge enough mana for spells. It has the option for autobattles if
you prefer to go that route.

I just don't enjoy moving around in a dark map that makes it hard to see.
You need to hit the mini map,all the time ,to ensure you did not miss a route.
This slows the game down and takes some of the fun out of the exploring.

I'm not sure if the maps change for the better, later on. The demo was all I
tried.
thanks for the feedback re map lighting. It was meant to be realistic so one option is to choose REST -> until sunrise when the light fades each day.

Another option (we are in RPG land!) is to cast a light spell. Not a HUGE difference if you are outdoors and a level 1 mage, but indoors or once you have a higher spell level, it will be just as if you are in daylight.

Except for the monsters that only come out at night, there are a few of those around...
12-13-2014, 11:46 AM
It's pretty cool. There's tons of redundant clicks, it's definently not very intuitive and it's hard to do some of the simplest stuff quickly. Which to me means nothing... Because of that It's very retro feeling and fun! One move during battle is kinda slow but it's not a gam breaker! I would assume the more speed you have the more squares you can move.... Why should my dude with elf ancestors who has high des and speed have to crawl along with tank boy massive chest? Even if it's just two squares if your at a certain speed and/or weight.

Lots of cool loot, the feats are pretty cool because they pop up randomly and during character generation I spend more time waiting for one of those I like then actual stats lol.

I dunno, I beat a couple quest already and I dig it. Like I said the UI is a bit cumbersome but it actually kinda makes it feel way more complicated and way more retro. I think I'll keep playing this one . I will also keep an eye on anything else that comes out from the dev here.... Oh! To be honest I don't know if it will explode with the mainstream there because of the UI and etc. only guys who like these type of games are gonna like it I think.....main streamer isn't going to be interest my friend,,

Thanks eh
12-13-2014, 02:07 PM
When this came out? Looks good, there is no video gameplay?

Last edited by PoloBaquerizoH; 12-13-2014 at 02:23 PM.
12-13-2014, 05:49 PM
*smile*

Glad you like it!

I definitely knew the UI is not what you get from a shiny 3D action RPG but at the same time that is not my pitch.

I did not manage to get a proper preview video up because it is hard to visualise what touchscreen interaction triggers. And I found no free movie editor for Mac that would not leave a watermark...

I submitted a quick fix today, sound on player death and lower speed/evasion penalties for heavier armor did not work. May take Apple a few days to review though. I am committed to fix issues and keep expanding as well.

As to speed: the fight is turn-based, but it IS taking into account speed. The benefit of an elf ranger are that with higher speed he will be moving more frequently (as a fighter has maybe moved 4 times, you moved 5 times). Plus on top, he most likely has the SPRINT cool down skill, try that! (In auto fight setting, make sure to use M+ instead of just M so the AI also uses such skills). Please note though actions are more complex than movement. Using a bow takes more time than punching someone.

Once you boost Dex over time vs. a fighter boosting strength, you will end up much quicker.

Last edited by VolkerE; 12-13-2014 at 05:52 PM.
12-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolkerE View Post
Glad you like it!

I definitely knew the UI is not what you get from a shiny 3D action RPG but at the same time that is not my pitch.

I did not manage to get a proper preview video up because it is hard to visualise what touchscreen interaction triggers. And I found no free movie editor for Mac that would not leave a watermark...

I submitted a quick fix today, sound on player death and lower speed/evasion penalties for heavier armor did not work. May take Apple a few days to review though. I am committed to fix issues and keep expanding as well.

As to speed: the fight is turn-based, but it IS taking into account speed. The benefit of an elf ranger are that with higher speed he will be moving more frequently (as a fighter has maybe moved 4 times, you moved 5 times). Plus on top, he most likely has the SPRINT cool down skill, try that! (In auto fight setting, make sure to use M+ instead of just M so the AI also uses such skills). Please note though actions are more complex than movement. Using a bow takes more time than punching someone.

Once you boost Dex over time vs. a fighter boosting strength, you will end up much quicker.
I want to buy it, but really need at least a video