★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ian Lewis
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 58.7 MB
  • Version: 5.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: The Teenies need your help! Can you save them?

"[The] true essence of mobile gaming ... [A] game that you just cant put down." - Brus Media

"Teenie success is the start of big things" - UTAS Media

"Adorable! This game is too cute! I love it! :-)" - A. Berry

Discover exciting and addictive action in this unique puzzle game!

The aim of the game is simple: to help the very round and very cute Teenies get to a portal so they can go home. But the Teenies will need your help to overcome fire, water, electricity and their endearing tendency to roll the wrong way!

FEATURES:
Splat, float and push the Teenies to safety in over 70 levels across 5 worlds.
7 unique Teenie powers.
Variety of ways to finish each level.
Over 150 unique and exciting challenges for every level, can you beat them all?
Easy to learn, hard to master
Achievements, leaderboards and time challenges so you can compete with your friends.

THE TEENIES:
Our spherical friends need some assistance, but the Teenies arent completely helpless! Each Teenie has the power to change themselves into a powerful Teenie to help their friends to safety.

Splateenie Becomes an immovable barrier
Ninjateenie Swings to safety
Metalliteenie Drops like a lead balloon
Floateenie Drifts into the sky
Pushiteenie Pushes the other Teenies around
Toobteenie Warps other Teenies to a new location

Like the Teenies on Facebook
www.facebook.com/SaveTheTeenies

Follow the Teenies on Google+
www.plus.google.com/+SavetheteeniesGame

Follow the Teenies on Twitter
www.twitter.com/SaveTheTeenies

Save the Teenies contains optional In-App Purchases (IAP).These IAPs exist to support the developers and are not intrusive and completely optional. You can play the whole game for free, and there is no 'pay-to-win'.

Please note this game is designed for iPhone® 5 and above. Users on iPhone® 4S and below may experience limited performance.

GiantMargarita's comments:
Hi There!

My name is Aran Cauchi and I’m part of a small games development company based in Australia called Giant Margarita. Three friends and I have embarked on the epic journey of indie development and we’ve just finished creating a 2D physics puzzle game called Save the Teenies for Android and iOS.

But first, let me introduce the Teenies.

The Teenies are friendly little spheres who have a habit of rolling the wrong way. They shoot out of a pipe at one end of the level, and with the player’s help, end up at the portal where the Teenies are whisked to safety.

Save the Teenies is easy to learn, with a simple and intuitive control Scheme. Save the Teenies contains elements of Lemmings, Loco Roco, and The Incredible Machine -- all great games in their own right -- and amazing things happen when they are combined together. The player is rewarded for guiding as many Teenies to the end of the level as possible.

Each Teenie has a special power which can be used to help the other Teenies to safety, but these are limited in number – the fewer powers used, the higher the player’s Score at the end of the level.

The game features multiple challenges, achievements and high scores across five worlds and 70 levels. There really is a lot of bang-for-buck in this game

The game may look like it's for children, but there really is heaps of depth to the game that all ages can enjoy. Some of the later levels are particularly challenging and require some creative thinking and quick fingers to get all those Teenies to the portal.

You can check out our trailer on YouTube

and also download the game for Android

Download Android

Aran Cauchi,
Giant Margarita
12-18-2014, 02:02 PM
What's the IAP situation with this?

12-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by byronbulb View Post
What's the IAP situation with this?
Thanks for your question! The IAP situation is really good. Only three IAP options. Remove ads ($0.99), unlock all worlds ($0.99) and unlock all levels ($2.99).
We wanted to make sure the game came first, rather than the IAPs. You can finish the entire game without ever buying anything and your performance won't suffer.
We hate pay-to-win just as much as everyone else

Last edited by GiantMargarita; 12-18-2014 at 11:35 PM.
12-20-2014, 11:58 AM
This is a typical physics based puzzle game, where you need to get several Teenies (basically balls) to the exit portal. It has lemmings-esque feature: the control that you have is transforming Teenies into something else, which makes them (or other Teenies) behave differently. The game play is about these transformations and the timing of them. I have played only World 1, and have seen two transformations so far: splat (freeze a Teenie in-place) and un-splat (unfreeze).
- Played some more: push transformation (accelerates other Teenies) and float (makes a Teenie float)

The puzzles are on the easy side so far, but there is replay value and challenge for me in trying to find different (better scoring, faster) solutions. Interesting to see that this has no Game Center but uses Google Play (Game Services). I prefer Game Center, but at least now I get to know how Google Play works Starring a level is linked to the number of saved Teenies, and the numbers are announced at the start of the level. The presentation of this information is not the cleanest, I have to say. In general, presentation of information feels a bit cluttered. There is a lot of information, but it takes some time to understand what there is and how to find it and read it.

You can play the complete game without IAP, but as the full-screen ads are moderately frequent, I'd recommend buying the no-ads IAP. The game unlocks a few levels ahead, so no need for the other unlock IAPs.

So overall, for me it is worth the $0.99 no-ads IAP. I have fun with it.

Minor issues:
- Orientation doesn't rotate with the device, so my smart cover feels dumb (inclines the wrong way)
- Funny detail: world 1 has 17 levels, W2: 18, W3: 13, W4: 14, W5: not yet unlocked
- Starring a level is linked to the number of saved Teenies, and the numbers are announced at the start of the level, but you don't know how many Teenies you have to start with.
- The sound mix is different on Android (Nexus 4, Lollipop) than on iOS (mini2, 8.1). The Teenies squeeking sound louder on Android, where the "Retry" sound on iOS is really loud.
- Android has some presentation "clues" that iOS is missing: the number of Teenies to 1/2/3-star a level shows a Teenie face, and small triangles in the level finish screen
12-20-2014, 12:51 PM
One thing I wanted to ask the dev is about the score formula and calculation. The formula seems simple enough based on time (more or less 10000 points extra per second faster seems the rule), but looking at the leaderboard of the first world (I have three-starred all W1 levels), I'm still missing over a million points and that would be an impossible-to-bridge gap of 100 seconds. But then I have seen weird behavior where 0.14 seconds faster got me 13000 points or where finishing faster got me *less* points. So am I missing something?
12-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Scoring

Thanks for your question saosijs!

Scores for a level are calculated based on the time you save each Teenie. If you could save a Teenie instantly you'd get 60000 points, otherwise the amount score for each falls 1000 points each second (any Teenies saved after a minute a worth nothing). So the fastest time for 3 stars might not yield the highest score

Last edited by GiantMargarita; 12-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.
12-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Relating to the discrepancies between game versions.

The iOS version is a (slightly) older version than Android because of Apple's slow review process (nothing has been rejected, it's just Xmas time). The iOS version should be released after the iTunes lock-down, soon after xmas hopefully.

Last edited by GiantMargarita; 12-20-2014 at 07:02 PM.
12-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantMargarita View Post
Thanks for your question saosijs!

Scores for a level are calculated based on the time you save each Teenie. If you could save a Teenie instantly you'd get 60000 points, otherwise the amount score for each falls 1000 points each second (any Teenies saved after a minute a worth nothing). So the fastest time for 3 stars might not yield the highest score
You mean that each Teenie has its own built-in clock that starts ticking when it pops out of the tube? Then for the sake of argument let's say each level (W1) has 10 Teenies, then a path which is one second faster, would render 10000 points. It still means I need to find a total of 100 seconds improvement in my paths to the exit in world 1 (I'm one million points behind on W1). I'm trying to see how sacrificing a Teenie could help, but if it doesn't arrive, then it doesn't get any points which is impossible to compensate. I feel I'm still missing something.
12-21-2014, 10:29 AM
Aaaaahhhhh I know what I was missing! The Android version has 20 levels in world 1 and the iOS version only 17 Global cross-platform leaderboard ok, but this is not fair, is it LOL. Well, I guess that is simply due to release dates mismatching so after Xmas the iOS version will be in sync again. Phew, for a moment I started doubting myself

By the way, the Android version has no exit option. I mean, the game plays in full screen but the soft buttons disappear and the only option I have is using the lock button. But unfortunately that makes the phone crash and I have to reset the phone (Nexus 4, Android 5.0.1). It's pretty ugly.
12-21-2014, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saosijs View Post
Aaaaahhhhh I know what I was missing! The Android version has 20 levels in world 1 and the iOS version only 17 Global cross-platform leaderboard ok, but this is not fair, is it LOL. Well, I guess that is simply due to release dates mismatching so after Xmas the iOS version will be in sync again. Phew, for a moment I started doubting myself

By the way, the Android version has no exit option. I mean, the game plays in full screen but the soft buttons disappear and the only option I have is using the lock button. But unfortunately that makes the phone crash and I have to reset the phone (Nexus 4, Android 5.0.1). It's pretty ugly.
Thanks for your feedback saosijs! We've already encountered this issue ourselves, and we're currently investigating ways around the soft buttons being hidden by the game screen. We'll hopefully have a solution to this in the coming weeks.