★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft Just screwed me over.

12-17-2014, 05:44 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Gameloft Just screwed me over.

So you know gameloft has a record of free to play games right? You know gangstar vegas?

ITS FREE TO
PLAY NOW!

Apparently premium games are a damn joke now and they just messed over their old. Customers! I'm really frustrated right now and will no longer be supporting the developer...

I'm really sorry for anything morally or offensive directed at the company but they are slowly losing it and were once my favorite developer. I don't know what to think now because this looks like the start of something evil in mobile gaming...

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by Anonomation; 12-17-2014 at 05:49 AM.
12-17-2014, 05:55 AM
Heres hoping those that paid the premium price don't get screwed over by the iap......

Otherwise, if they can make the game free with a hands off iap, im cool. Will be waiting a bit before updating the new update to see how it works out.

Devs I love supporting:
AH_Phan, WaveLightGames, Voncarp, ToonuvaGames, Dr_Nachin, Ryan Mitchell

12-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Oh Ya, I know it sucks. I freaking deleted it from my ipad yesterday!
12-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Dont really see the issue. It came out 18 months ago, i presume the games not making much money anymore so they made it free to play. Its either that or deleting the app from the app store as its not making money anymore.

Other games have done the same, no point flogging a dead horse if the apps making minimum money compared to other titles.

Yeah its frustrating but its happened before, look at the hoo-hah over Tabletop racing which went from premium-freemium.

But 18 months ago you probably paid say 5 dollars for the game, so you've got your moneys worth surely ?

Always found the Gangstar games a cheap rip-off of the classic GTA games, GTA all the way !
12-17-2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Dont really see the issue. It came out 18 months ago, i presume the games not making much money anymore so they made it free to play. Its either that or deleting the app from the app store as its not making money anymore.

Other games have done the same, no point flogging a dead horse if the apps making minimum money compared to other titles.

Yeah its frustrating but its happened before, look at the hoo-hah over Tabletop racing which went from premium-freemium.

But 18 months ago you probably paid say 5 dollars for the game, so you've got your moneys worth surely ?

Always found the Gangstar games a cheap rip-off of the classic GTA games, GTA all the way !
I didn't even open it yet. 😂
12-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrith View Post
Heres hoping those that paid the premium price don't get screwed over by the iap......

Otherwise, if they can make the game free with a hands off iap, im cool. Will be waiting a bit before updating the new update to see how it works out.
Lol you get 160 "gems" that you can't buy much with if you look at all the item in the store. I'm so done with this.
12-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
That part of your argument confused me. Would the cost of keeping servers up for in-app purchases and leaderboards really be that much? Hell, the servers might have even been able to fund themselves through the in-app purchases. In fact, in the update notes for the new update, they say that there is now gang battles in this game, which means they added multiplayer in this new version. If they were too strapped for cash, then why would they have added multiplayer in, which would need money for keeping the servers up, and for making sure there aren't any hackers in the multiplayer.

And I would like to disagree with you on this app not making much money. If you were to check the top paid apps, then you'd see that this app spent quite a long time within that chart (whether on its own or in bundles). That's what I personally saw. I'd argue that this game was able to fund itself on its own. Shouldn't Gameloft have enough money that they could keep games like this premium without a problem? Gameloft are a pretty big company to have so many studios located around the world. Hopefully someone at Gameloft will come into this thread and try to clear this up

And I'm going to be annoyed by a game turning from premium to freemium if I so choose, aren't I allowed to do that as a consumer? I purchased this game on the pretense that it would stay a premium game forever, and that I could download this game whenever I want to and have it retain a similar level of quality from when I purchased it.

I'll preface the following point that I'm getting info from the update notes for this next update, and that I have not downloaded this new update yet, so I don't know how these new features have been implemented into the new version. Considering what normally happens with balancing when games switch from premium to freemium though...

According to the update notes, they added another currency into the game. This currency is, and I quote, the "key to unlocking exclusive content and playing all of the missions and limited-time events." This could mean that they have locked content which I payed for with this extra currency which wasn't present when I originally purchased the game. It then goes on to say that this currency is unlocked by "completing missions and special events." The thing that worries me the most here is that there is no differentation in this description between the missions which require the new currency and which give you currency. Who knows, I may need this currency to play missions which give me currency. But those special events don't seem so bad, right? "New Special Event Energy System." Right in the update notes.

What's even more outrageous is that the version of the app which I spent $5 on is now completely gone. I didn't keep a copy of the game spare somewhere, and now I have to suffer for it. I've had a product which I paid money for taken away from me, only to be given back in a gimped version. I'll start the ridiculous metaphors which will surely turn up in this thread with this. It's like I purchased a car, but 18 months later, it's taken away from me and replaced with a similar version of the car. However, the air-conditioning, GPS, boot room, whatever has been replaced by versions which lock up every now and again. The only way I could get past this is by waiting for them to fix themselves, or to put in money to a new slot which has been placed into a car in order to get them working again. If that were to happen to me, I would be demanding a refund from the car company. Millions would. Everyone would be outraged by it. Whilst people don't go around begging for refunds in the App Store, yes, that sort of thing still stands. I purchased this game in the pretense of it being a game that would stay a premium game forever, and that I would have access to a version like that forever. However, I have had that version taken away from me, and that pisses me off

When Gameloft decided to do a free to play version of NOVA 3, they just released a seperate version of the game and left the option to purchase the paid version of it on the App Store. That was a good move. Why the hell couldn't they just do that with this?
12-17-2014, 07:18 AM
I do have to disagree with psj here. I wish people would just make new stuff instead of the further milking old stuff. Then we can all stop making excuses for everyone's behaviour. Yep, it was only a few quid but I was looking forward to playing the game I bought in my retirement.
Changing a payment mechanism of something that people have already paid for is just bad form where I come from.
12-17-2014, 07:22 AM
I agree with hoggy. We keep buying these games under false pretenses. It's all bogus.
12-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
I agree with hoggy. We keep buying these games under false pretenses. It's all bogus.
Exactly! When did gameloft say, it's gonna go free to play after a while so buyers beware?