★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

BBotz - Berzerk-inspired remake

12-18-2014, 10:45 AM
12-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Woah!

What a blast from the past!! We made this game years ago for a retro remakes competition for Mac and PC. We based it on the old game Berzerk. A unique thing about our game is that we used a single resource, energy capsules which you use to reload your gun, replenish your health, increase your max health or throw as grenades. I don't know how good that idea was in the end, though ^_^. It's cool to see it running on iOS!

12-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I'd ported it to OpenGL & IOS shortly after the 1st gen iPhone first was introduced - it ran at maybe 5 fps. I recently stumbled across the source code and rebuilt for iPhone 6+ and to my pleasant surprise it ran flawlessly at full framerate, even on the later stages with swarms of robots attacking en-masse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louard View Post
What a blast from the past!! We made this game years ago for a retro remakes competition for Mac and PC. We based it on the old game Berzerk. A unique thing about our game is that we used a single resource, energy capsules which you use to reload your gun, replenish your health, increase your max health or throw as grenades. I don't know how good that idea was in the end, though ^_^. It's cool to see it running on iOS!
12-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Intruder alert!!
Intruder alert!!
01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
I spend a bit of time further optimizing the rendering, and it now runs full speed on most lower-end devices. At the moment, the game is an endless FPS, a series of increasingly difficult mazes, with robots that (like the arcade original) get progressively more dangerous.

I'd like to open to external beta testers this upcoming weekend. Give me a shout if anyone would like to give it a try.
01-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
I spend a bit of time further optimizing the rendering, and it now runs full speed on most lower-end devices. At the moment, the game is an endless FPS, a series of increasingly difficult mazes, with robots that (like the arcade original) get progressively more dangerous.

I'd like to open to external beta testers this upcoming weekend. Give me a shout if anyone would like to give it a try.
Loved Berzerk back in the day! This looks fun! I'll help test this one! Am Testflight-ready!
01-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post

I would love to check this out! I have an iPhone 5c running 8.1.3, if that matters.
01-29-2015, 05:54 PM
i'm in. iPhone 5, iPad mini.
01-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi guys, can you please shoot me a PM or email (pstroffo@yahoo.com) with an email address to use with testflight?
01-30-2015, 05:18 PM
New video capture with more big bad bots:

Youtube link | Pop Up

With sound, though I just noticed that the edits missed the robot speech!

Looking into adding a classic mode as well.