How much $$$ can you make from a 20K downloaded iOS Game? (article)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by alpsoy, Dec 19, 2014.

1. alpsoy

alpsoy Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Istanbul
    Hi everyone,

I've just published an article on Medium today. It's story of one of our games (Catena) during 2014, focusing on sale numbers and statistics which may be useful for game developers.

The article also mentions how different type of monetisation did during one year, and also what was the effect of review articles published about our game.
    I tries to write as detailed as I can while trying to keep it brief.

Hope you like it, and if you have questions or need extra information which I might have skipped, please feel free to ask. I like sharing information.

https://medium.com/@alpsoy/how-much-can-you-make-from-a-20k-downloaded-ios-game-ed91e5caf67d

2. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    So you are pretty much telling me I gotta get lucky? haha. but yea interesting read especially on the iap and ad parts

3. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Really interesting read! Thanks for sharing.

4. younesouhbi

younesouhbi Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Great read!

Thank you for sharing this article with us! It was a great read! We have worked for 2 years on Stealers Steal only to face a very disappointing reality and stats I feel ashamed to talk about. Making games for mobile is a pure gamble so better make games that have restricted scopes and casual gameplays...

5. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing. I'm also still playing this lottery for almost 3 years lol.

6. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Are you winning?:)

7. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Great article and interesting story.

8. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    I am in China and get an error message when I try to connect to your link.

Anyways thank for sharing.

9. iamagame

iamagame Active Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks for sharing it. Admob seems to be the way to go.

10. phongtt

phongtt Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Still praying for a jackpot haha :p

11. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    Nice article. I think your numbers are pretty good really, anything approaching 10cents average revenue per install is pretty good. That is after you added advertising. So by the title of this feed, $2,000 is a good amount for 20,000 installs.
    It is hard to get over this number unless your game has a very long play time, with lots of options to buy things, like Boom Beach, or Candy Crush style. These can get over a $1 per install, but it will be less than 5% of the people who download it that are earning them the money. Which means that IAP must be done in such a way that it allows you to repurchase again and again.
    I think for IAPs to work it must be possible for a user to spend at least $100 on your app, from repeat purchases. Apps that offer a pay gate model, it is only a pay once setup. And you will find that if someone is willing to spend something in your game, most of the time they are willing to spend more.

12. NelsonH

NelsonH Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Game Developer
    US
    Really great read. I've been watching the numbers of my first game, so far so good. After reading, I think I will change my monetization strategy... :D

13. YoloChase

YoloChase Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Pretty bleak outlook. It makes farming potatoes look like a very attractive career option. :)

14. ChickenFeetStudios

Sep 29, 2014
    Software Developer/Architect
    San Francisco
    Thanks for sharing.

We recently released Super Looper.

We did a lot of initial legwork and had a game preview page with AppAdvice, and positive reviews from PocketGamer and iFanzine at launch. This got us around 500 installs in the first 4 days, which was enough for increased app store visibility, which in turn drove and additional 14k installs in the next 5 days.

Around 2/3rds of the installs have played the game. 1/4 of players make it to level 11. Around 30% of sessions overall are from returning players. We have had around 45 $0.99 transactions.

15. RTamminen

RTamminen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 2, 2014
    Finland
    Enjoyed reading it! Thank you for the post. :)

16. mrm83

mrm83 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Toronto
    nice stats.

do you have any tips to getting those review sites to do reviews?

I just published my apps and visibility is close to 0.. struggling to get even 1 download.. a week.