★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Final ios rant.

12-19-2014, 08:51 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED: Officially Quit iOS Gaming [Original Poster]
Final ios rant.

Okay, here's my last ios moan of the year ....or possibly ever.

Yes it's long, if you don't like reading I suggest you simply ignore it.

Just for the record I have an ipad 2 and an iPad Air. Both were bought mainly for gaming and I have been pretty happy with both devices but I came to the conclusion a while ago that my iPad Air would be my last ios device.

Why? Well to be totally frank I loathe the way it's heading, freemium is all but taking over the App Store, the last game I bought was almost 4 months ago and I used to spend 10-30 a month on ios games but not any more, I cannot remember the last decent rpg I bought.. It was a long long while ago.

I think most (not all, but most) of developers are just greedy now and see freemium as a way of bleeding people dry. Why release a game for 1-2-3-5 when you can make it freemium and permanently bleed people's wallets dry.

I hate this practice and I think its quite despicable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying devs and allowing them to eat.. I've bought many games in the past for 5-10 and more. I guess there was room for freemium and premium in the App Store but it seems freemium is now ruling the roost and there's no sign that this greedy and vile business plan will ever burn itself out.

I'm in the process of moving my mobile gaming to another platform, a games handheld and let me tell you, it's really wonderful to actually play a game without constantly getting nagged into using faecesbook/twitter or forever being pushed towards paying for consumable iap.

The App Store used to be awesome, sadly all the golden gem games are stuck rotting under a 500,000 ton turd of freemium apps that stink up the App Store.

Ok rant over, you can go back to candy crush now.
12-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
Okay, here's my last ios moan of the year ....or possibly ever.

Yes it's long, if you don't like reading I suggest you simply ignore it.

Just for the record I have an ipad 2 and an iPad Air. Both were bought mainly for gaming and I have been pretty happy with both devices but I came to the conclusion a while ago that my iPad Air would be my last ios device.

Why? Well to be totally frank I loathe the way it's heading, freemium is all but taking over the App Store, the last game I bought was almost 4 months ago and I used to spend 10-30 a month on ios games but not any more, I cannot remember the last decent rpg I bought.. It was a long long while ago.

I think most (not all, but most) of developers are just greedy now and see freemium as a way of bleeding people dry. Why release a game for 1-2-3-5 when you can make it freemium and permanently bleed people's wallets dry.

I hate this practice and I think its quite despicable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against paying devs and allowing them to eat.. I've bought many games in the past for 5-10 and more. I guess there was room for freemium and premium in the App Store but it seems freemium is now ruling the roost and there's no sign that this greedy and vile business plan will ever burn itself out.

I'm in the process of moving my mobile gaming to another platform, a games handheld and let me tell you, it's really wonderful to actually play a game without constantly getting nagged into using faecesbook/twitter or forever being pushed towards paying for consumable iap.

The App Store used to be awesome, sadly all the golden gem games are stuck rotting under a 500,000 ton turd of freemium apps that stink up the App Store.

Ok rant over, you can go back to candy crush now.
All sad but true😫

12-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Agreed... I thought Facebook was the place to play this crap.
12-19-2014, 09:49 PM
The problem is not fermium, but how they have introduce it.
Get on YouTube and search extra credit
lol at the last Spider-Man game from gameloft, it's actually pretty good.
You can ask Freind for energy, and u can participate in events.
Developers need to start the game from scratch as a freemium.
For example.
Let's talk about timers.
Timers would not be so annoying if they did not keep user from playing, but instead put them in a position to play mini games.
Imagine if the devs add a power up you can buy from IMAP that will give you unlimited energy, or a lot of credits( enough to finish the game )
They will still have million downloads with a lot of money.
Once they make you try a game, and u like it spending 2$ , 3$, 5$ is ok with you
But not 35$ to 100$
I think Galaxy on Fire 2 had expensing pack, and booster pack.

Warning- do not make IMAP skin
Some games have cosmetics in app purchase, which is completely outrageous.
1$ for a skin-
5$ for a skin for God fire.
This not good practices, BS
Those are cheap tricks with no creativity.
What about paying for a worthy story extension, or even some alpha levels, you guys did not includ into the game.
With some story elements. Make the player feel right about paying.

At last I am going to stick with iOS, I have no intention of buying a game system, I need a all in one package.
I worked on my iPad, and do a lot of other things.
12-19-2014, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madreviewer View Post
The problem is not fermium, but how they have introduce it.
Get on YouTube and search extra credit
lol at the last Spider-Man game from gameloft, it's actually pretty good.
You can ask Freind for energy, and u can participate in events.
Developers need to start the game from scratch as a freemium.
For example.
Let's talk about timers.
Timers would not be so annoying if they did not keep user from playing, but instead put them in a position to play mini games.
Imagine if the devs add a power up you can buy from IMAP that will give you unlimited energy, or a lot of credits( enough to finish the game )
They will still have million downloads with a lot of money.
Once they make you try a game, and u like it spending 2$ , 3$, 5$ is ok with you
But not 35$ to 100$
I think Galaxy on Fire 2 had expensing pack, and booster pack.

Warning- do not make IMAP skin
Some games have cosmetics in app purchase, which is completely outrageous.
1$ for a skin-
5$ for a skin for God fire.
This not good practices, BS
Those are cheap tricks with no creativity.
What about paying for a worthy story extension, or even some alpha levels, you guys did not includ into the game.
With some story elements. Make the player feel right about paying.

At last I am going to stick with iOS, I have no intention of buying a game system, I need a all in one package.
I worked on my iPad, and do a lot of other things.
Does IMAP = IAP? I'm confused.
12-19-2014, 11:21 PM
I agree. I used to spend a lot of money every month buying 20 or so apps easily. Now it's about 5 a month

I still love ios as I do have so many games to play I can go through my backlog. I always buy games at launch price as I believe it'll help devs.

If we all got promo codes or waited for price drops then so many devs would go out if business.

I want to spend more money but there's not the level of games I want. The last 9 months I haven't bought as many games sadly. There's been classics this year like Leo's fortune, monument valley and traps n gemstones to name a few. But last year I was playinf and buying so many more games every week.

With so many people with iPhones there'll be tons of games created in 2015 but they seem to be heading down a path towards more casual gaming which I'm not a fan of at all. Freemium/timers/social media crap. Arrrrgh
12-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
Does IMAP = IAP? I'm confused.
Yes, it's my auto correction,
12-19-2014, 11:37 PM
One more problem with mobile gaming.
Casual games are cheap to produce, and are more likely to be played by non gamers= more potential buyers
12-20-2014, 12:05 AM
There are freemium games done right, check out Hearthstone
12-20-2014, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmilan View Post
There are freemium games done right, check out Hearthstone
Done right, but still cause the problem.