★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Run! Challenge

09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
#1
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
The Run! Challenge

So we all know that in games like this practice makes perfect. Therefore I propose the following challenge: who has gotten the highest score while playing the least? To compete, post the following:

your high score, your total score, your total score / your high score


For example, I would be:
1186, 29,090, 24.5

(Note that this isn't necessarily a fair contest for those people who play a lot. A just thought it would be fun, since I have a pretty high score and I don't play that often...)
09-11-2009, 01:33 PM
#2
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,096
415 , 4,707, i didnt quite understand the 3rd option

Plus+ id: Fudgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I find DG incredibly sexy, just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You scare me, you honestly scare me

09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgeboy View Post
415 , 4,707, i didnt quite understand the 3rd option
4,707 / 415 = 11.3

So your top score is almost 10% of your total score. Pretty good, but can you maintain that ratio after you've played twice as much?
09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,988
Once you get the hang of the controls and sufficient practice with the difficult obstacles (saw particularly), I really think its mostly just your reflexes at that point. I dont know how much more your high score will go up if you play another 29,000 points worth.

I could be wrong...we'll see.

I have 1220 and somewhere north of 30,000 total points (I reset), but it appears that at the start of my 1220 game I may have benefitted from glitched obstacle spacing.

Currently addicted to Clash Royale
09-13-2009, 11:13 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
There are certainly diminishing returns going on here, such that the more you improve your score the harder it is to improve your score further; that's why this sort of contest would be less fair to people who have played the game a lot.

However, that said, I disagree with your suggestion. There are a lot of perceptuo-motor skills involved with games like this (despite, or rather because of, the simplicity), such that people can always get better. I think the primary cut-off is because eventually the game simply becomes too fast to be reasonably possible, not because of any limit in people's abilities to improve.

In my case, I simply don't play it that much because it tends to hurt my wrist. I played one game yesterday and got up to 1276.
09-13-2009, 09:39 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDrgn View Post
There are certainly diminishing returns going on here, such that the more you improve your score the harder it is to improve your score further; that's why this sort of contest would be less fair to people who have played the game a lot.

However, that said, I disagree with your suggestion. There are a lot of perceptuo-motor skills involved with games like this (despite, or rather because of, the simplicity), such that people can always get better. I think the primary cut-off is because eventually the game simply becomes too fast to be reasonably possible, not because of any limit in people's abilities to improve.

In my case, I simply don't play it that much because it tends to hurt my wrist. I played one game yesterday and got up to 1276.
Sorry to hear that Run! is hurting your wrist! How are you playing the game?

iPhone developer behind Run! and co-developer of Pet Playpen
Website: www.arthurham.com
Twitter: @ArthurHamApps
09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
#7
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurhamapps View Post
Sorry to hear that Run! is hurting your wrist! How are you playing the game?
Oh, don't worry about it. I have kinda a sensitive wrist, so at times when it's feel kinda sore I avoid any extensive two-handed iphone gameplay.
09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDrgn View Post
So we all know that in games like this practice makes perfect. Therefore I propose the following challenge: who has gotten the highest score while playing the least? To compete, post the following:

your high score, your total score, your total score / your high score


For example, I would be:
1186, 29,090, 24.5

(Note that this isn't necessarily a fair contest for those people who play a lot. A just thought it would be fun, since I have a pretty high score and I don't play that often...)
Here's what I got - note I haven't played much at all.

High score: 443
Total score: 1,608
Ratio: 3.6

I suppose I should play more, but I'm probably going to beat everyone else in this thread ratio-wise because I haven't been playing.
09-14-2009, 05:09 PM
#9
Is this game better or Little Runner?
09-14-2009, 05:39 PM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comassion View Post
Here's what I got - note I haven't played much at all.

High score: 443
Total score: 1,608
Ratio: 3.6

I suppose I should play more, but I'm probably going to beat everyone else in this thread ratio-wise because I haven't been playing.
Heh, nice start. We'll see how long it takes you to double that score...