Need help with naming of game modes for my new game (video included)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by RobinK, Dec 27, 2014.

1. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Hey guys,

my new game DotSum is nearly ready for upload.
    But I need some help with the naming of the game modes.
    Since I´m no native english speaker I have no idea if the current names are good or fit to the gameplay.

Here is a short summary of the gameplay:
    There is a 6x6 field of "Dots" each with a specific color and a specific value (1/4, 2/4 or 3/4).
    You can connect nearby dots of the same color. When you do this, their values will be added (e.g. 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/2 = 4/4 = a full dot). You get several targets you have to reach.

Here is a short gameplay video which shows the game in action to make it clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCGmFnkGGsU&list=UU5YGO8B0p1_FQ4YGL0aUhZQ

Here are my current game mode names:

Fast Clear: Clear the whole screen as fast as you can.

1-Minute: Make as many points as possible in 60 seconds. The screen will be refilled when the screen got cleared.

Clear Master: Clear the screen in a specific amount of time. When you succeed you reach a higher level with a faster time goal.

Time Pursuit: Time is running down constantly. When you score points you get a time bonus until you run out of time. The screen will be refilled when the screen got cleared.

Do you think these names fit to the game or do you have other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    I think those names work well enough. At least, nothing better comes to mind.

Maybe 'Clear Rush' instead of 'Fast Clear'? Not sure.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think you should go with 2 modes.
    1-3 modes are too similar in various ways. Just go with the clear master mode as it encompasses the other 2 modes and gives a progression.
    Time pursuit should be the default mode and first.

I also don't really get what the 1/4 1/2 3/4 add to pet rescue style game. I wonder if some of the mechanics they use might be good to look at to give different puzzles with the same mechanic.

4. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks for your answers.
    Since nobody answered at first I already uploaded the game so I won´t change the game mode names before release anymore ;)

@Destined: I chose 4 game modes so there is more variety while playing. I hope this keeps people playing the game to unlock all game modes and go for highscores in all modes.
    The gameplay itself is different from pet rescue but its hard to describe. But there is a tutorial and I hope you will try it when it goes online :)

5. RobinK

RobinK Active Member

Jun 30, 2013