★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why do you want to be game developer?

12-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to sallysmile
Why do you want to be game developer?

Hi everyone,

The one who's reading this post, I guess is game developer. Why do you want to be game developer?

I could be the first one to share: Feel satisfied to see others happy at playing games that I made
12-30-2014, 04:33 AM
The most fun way to potentially make a living.

12-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to sallysmile
12-30-2014, 05:27 AM
I do it cause I have lots of ideas and I love developing.

I would like to make a little but it won't stop me making no matter how much or little I make.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
I do it because I love creating, and see some people enjoying the games I've done!
01-01-2015, 03:30 AM
I've been doing it for almost a decade now, which is the majority of my post-education life. I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to work at startups, independent companies, big publishers and even create my own indie titles - I know this isn't the case for everyone, and I know when I have a good thing... that, and I can't imagine doing anything else

Even after all of this time, it's genuinely a joy to get up in the morning. There's always the potential to learn or create. I love to dream up ideas then execute on them, often with others to create something totally new from those initial nuggets of thought.

I've met some fantastic people who share the same passion for video games as I have, and getting the chance to work with such people is really something special.

Last edited by Sean Noonan; 01-01-2015 at 03:33 AM.
01-01-2015, 10:42 AM
As others have said I love creating and knowing people are enjoying my games. Games got me through some rough patches growing up as a kid so I know how important they can be.
01-02-2015, 03:45 PM
I left an extremely well paying job with tons of security for... well... something I knew had a low probability of both in indie game development.

BUT -- I was sure I'd love it, and I was right. This has been the most I've enjoyed working, hands down. And we haven't even launched our first game yet.
01-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Personally, I'm actually a prematurely 'retired' developer, previously working in comms protocols and telephony signalling. Turned out though, I can't stop being a code-writer and 'retirement' has just released a bit of time, so I now have time to develop the things I enjoy, games/puzzles easily beat comms.

I do a bit of country walking as well, and the occasional afternoon in town downing beer with a few pals who are fellow retirees.

For the main part, games/puzzles dev is turning out to be a lot like working used to be except nobody pays me anymore. Even so, chances of making money in the App Store may be slim, but they are not nil... so I can hope. And even in the absence of sensible income, I can still have fun. And I can talk about it, endlessly boring my pals, on these afternoons in town...!
01-05-2015, 12:13 AM
Have to agree with all the above.

Either you build your dreams, or you get paid to build others'.

Try both, then decide for yourself.