★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should Gameloft (or someone) create a good Super Mario World clone for the iPhone.

09-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Should Gameloft (or someone) create a good Super Mario World clone for the iPhone.

What all of the platformers including Gameloft's Castle of Magic are missing is the sheer number, depth and variety of the levels found in Super Mario World.

Seeing the fantastic job that Gameloft is doing with Shrek Kart, Nova, and Modern Combat to fill the gaps in iPhone's quality gaming library, I feel the one thing still missing on the iPhone is something to compete with the DS's outstanding "New Super Mario Bros" game, which still ranks as the best selling DS game of all time.

At the very least, I hope that Earthworm Jim won't be absurdly difficult like most Earthworm Jim games, and will have numerous save points so that when you unlock a new level, it stays unlocked forever.

The appeal of Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros is how well it controls, how easy it is to beat a level, and once you do, it stays unlocked so you can go back and play it anytime you want. You end up with a huge number of diverse levels to choose from in a very short amount of time.
09-12-2009, 01:07 AM
i dont see how you would control it. anything mario related should stay off the iphone.

09-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Castle of Magic is the closest we have so far. I actually really like that game, and recommend it for platforming game fans. My only issue with it is the inexplicably inconsistent framerate, where playback stutters every second or two on all devices.

If you're on an iPhone 3GS, definitely check out Pandemonium. It is unplayably slow on older devices, but runs great on the 3GS. It is a classic Playstation platformer with a large cult following, and the iPhone version is a pretty decent port.

AfterPad.com - MFi Gaming News | Game List | Controllers | Twitter
09-12-2009, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomaD View Post
i dont see how you would control it. anything mario related should stay off the iphone.
Easy. Virtual D-pad and two buttons.

One button for running/power-up and one for jumping.
09-12-2009, 01:30 AM
dont you just love these GB and SNES emulators on jailbroken iPods/iPhones
09-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Id buy that straight away if it happened

Plus+ id: Fudgeboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
I find DG incredibly sexy, just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You scare me, you honestly scare me
09-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Send a message via AIM to Firestar
Bounce On is the best at the moment, but take a look at SuperTux (140 levels, open source, level editor). We're currently porting it, and have plans to add Mario-esque multiplayer soon.

EDIT: Sorry, 140 levels. And yes, if you're jailbroken you could mod it.

Last edited by Firestar; 09-12-2009 at 02:39 PM.
09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
Bounce On is the best at the moment, but take a look at SuperTux (14 levels, open source, level editor). We're currently porting it, and have plans to add Mario-esque multiplayer soon.
So we could possibly edit the .app folder afterwards and copy the mario sprites in there?
09-12-2009, 09:37 AM
depending on what trype of mario it is I'd buy it, it would be cool..
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok nintendo owns the rights I mario and they wouldn't just hand them out. Nice idea but it will never happen

Plus+, Openfeint, and Gameloft Live Username: Vester
Add me on GameCenter: Sock Merchant
2/6/11 the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl XLV