★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New to game PR. Where do the journos lurk?

12-31-2014, 05:12 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 12
New to game PR. Where do the journos lurk?

Hi all,

I have worked in the game industry for about 8 years and about 6 months ago I decided to go indie. So I put my dancing shoes on and started developing my first major independent game. Now this means I am an amalgamation of all development roles, a kind of super developer, but the role I am struggling with most is PR.

So are their any friendly developers / journalists out there that can take me under their wing? Where do journalists linger? Anyone fancy a pint?

Here is an early pre-alpha video of the game I am making if you're interested: Paradox -> http://youtu.be/EfZcmWmxIUs

Other than that, I wish everyone a happy New Year and lots of merriment while the year ticks out!
-TheWyrm

p.s sorry for the duplicate thread. I posted in the wrong topic... ERROR!

Last edited by TheWyrm; 01-03-2015 at 07:34 AM.
01-01-2015, 05:11 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,509
The good news is that journos don't help much wrt getting sales. Even a front-page mention here on TA doesn't do that much of a spike if it's a one off. Sad but true.

You need to make something so awesome or funny or with a unique back story that the press find you and keep coming back. Make it easier for them to find you by attending as many trade shows as possible and getting in their face.

Failing that, just keep hammering away on twitter, facebook, your blog, etc and direct people there whenever you can. An early playable can help if its something really refreshing.

Last edited by Rubicon; 01-01-2015 at 05:15 AM.

01-01-2015, 07:01 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
The good news is that journos don't help much wrt getting sales. Even a front-page mention here on TA doesn't do that much of a spike if it's a one off. Sad but true.

You need to make something so awesome or funny or with a unique back story that the press find you and keep coming back. Make it easier for them to find you by attending as many trade shows as possible and getting in their face.

Failing that, just keep hammering away on twitter, facebook, your blog, etc and direct people there whenever you can. An early playable can help if its something really refreshing.
Thanks for the information. I believe the game I am developing is going to create waves as it is completely unique, but if people don't know about it then it will stay in the shadows. So where are good places to post and what type of posts catch peoples attention?

I will be making a playable alpha and beta so thanks for that little tip.
01-01-2015, 07:08 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,509
There's nowhere good to post. You have to go out and meet people to get anything done, and even then there are no guarantees - we've stopped doing it.

But don't open the conversation with "I have something new that will set the world on fire". They hear that 100 times a day minimum. Even if in your case it's actually true, they'll be expecting something that wouldn't win ludum dare because that's what such claims usually reveal.

Last edited by Rubicon; 01-01-2015 at 07:17 AM.
01-01-2015, 07:19 AM
#5
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWyrm View Post
Thanks for the information. I believe the game I am developing is going to create waves as it is completely unique, but if people don't know about it then it will stay in the shadows. So where are good places to post and what type of posts catch peoples attention?

I will be making a playable alpha and beta so thanks for that little tip.
It looks great, but definitely not completely unique. You are fooling yourself if you don't think that mechanic has been done. There are a couple of games that were developed with similar mechanics on the unity forums I have seen(and sadly weren't that successful, although that could of been a range of reasons). I prefer your one graphically. I think it is a little dark but could be a great niche game. I love dark games but normally they don't make waves.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
01-01-2015, 08:43 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
The good news is that journos don't help much wrt getting sales. Even a front-page mention here on TA doesn't do that much of a spike if it's a one off. Sad but true.

You need to make something so awesome or funny or with a unique back story that the press find you and keep coming back. Make it easier for them to find you by attending as many trade shows as possible and getting in their face.

Failing that, just keep hammering away on twitter, facebook, your blog, etc and direct people there whenever you can. An early playable can help if its something really refreshing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
It looks great, but definitely not completely unique. You are fooling yourself if you don't think that mechanic has been done. There are a couple of games that were developed with similar mechanics on the unity forums I have seen(and sadly weren't that successful, although that could of been a range of reasons). I prefer your one graphically. I think it is a little dark but could be a great niche game. I love dark games but normally they don't make waves.
Do you have any names or links to these similar mobile games? I would be interested in comparing if nothing else to see where they went wrong. The closest I have seen is 'To-Fu: The Trials of Chi', which is a puzzle game requiring you to fire the player character in straight lines. My game differs as it uses trajectory, physics, stealth in a dark platformer labyrinth world.

If it ends up being niche then so be it. I make games that I would love to play first. Thanks for your input, I have taken it on board.
01-01-2015, 08:49 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
There's nowhere good to post. You have to go out and meet people to get anything done, and even then there are no guarantees - we've stopped doing it.

But don't open the conversation with "I have something new that will set the world on fire". They hear that 100 times a day minimum. Even if in your case it's actually true, they'll be expecting something that wouldn't win ludum dare because that's what such claims usually reveal.
Oh man... that means I'll have to put some pants on and venture into the real world. Time to search the UK for shows. (Thanks again)
01-01-2015, 01:50 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Yeah that's why we gave up, most of the big ones are in the USA.
Exactly. I think the main indie show over here is EuroGamer Expo. I'm living in Nottingham and we have Game City. There is also the Develop Conference and Play Expo. All that is the later part of the year and some require expensive tickets.
01-02-2015, 06:20 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland
Posts: 114
You would probably be best trying to approach a publisher. If it is a well known one they will have a large promotional network setup. It seems the only real ways to get a game noticed on the app store are, featured by apple, through people searching, or cross promotion. Publishers generally have the large cross promotion networks that can help get your game out there.

Apps are not quite the same as the PC or console gaming world. I think mainly because an mobile game is either free or 1 dollar and requires very little time involvement, so the risk and personal investment is very low. This means people are not actively searching for reviews on what to get, or looking forward to the next big game they can spend many hours on. Whereas when the game is $100 you want to know what other options you have and so the reviewers and bloggers have a lot more influence, as people are actively searching for this information.

So this has caused the owners of the market places, Apple and Google, to basically control the success of new apps. It is very hard to get anywhere if you don't get featured by one of them, unless you can control some other channel of getting your app known. Such as cross promotion, or large social media audience. Which is what a publisher can offer (if they are a good publisher).