Anyone here own and game on a 6 plus?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Deewin, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I saw one at launch and thought it was too big. But after getting Note 4 and loving it I used a 6 plus and love it! Games like final fantasy 3, chrono trigger look MUCH better on the 6 plus over the 6 because of the more rectangle aspect ratio the 6 offers. I do more internet/gaming/reading on my iPhone anyways over using it as a phone and I really do think the 6 plus enhances the experience. It's not like I'm squinting my eyes on the 6, but the 6 plus is enough to not make me I wish I had my iPad mini instead on downtimes while on the go.

2. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the 6 and the 6+ have the same aspect ratio as one another, which is the same or close to the 5.

3. wml

wml Active Member

Jul 4, 2009
    I do, its great for most games only problem is if the game is ipad only you cant run it on the 6+

I dont find it too big either i very quickly got used to the size.

4. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    I have it. I like it for gaming, but hate it for everything else because I can't use it in one hand (nor can I use the smaller 6). Apple is now just like every other phone manufacturer where the only phones they sell with a normal screen size are yesteryear's technology. If Apple had gone with a 6 mini/minus, with the same processor, same battery, and same camera as in the 6 plus, but a normal screen size, I would've jumped on that like white on rice. For gaming, at least my fingers don't cover up as much of the screen while playing, so there's that... I'd really like for more apps to get updated to native resolution, because they're really gorgeous when they are, and they stick out like a sore thumb when they aren't.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I absolutely love it. I had an iPad air and gave it to my wife because my 6 plus literally replaced it. I love being able to whip out my fav games on say a 15 min break at work if I want. On my iPad I wouldnt be able to do that. In my opinion its the best gaming IOS device I have ever had.

6. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Love the 6 Plus, for games* and everything else! I used to use my old iPhone one-handed sometimes, but it's not vital to me. (And still possible on the 6+ when necessary, just not something you'd do regularly.) Great screen, super battery, and I can live with the pocket awkwardness.

* BUT the iPhone 6 Plus (and maybe other models when upgraded to iOS 8) seems to have SERIOUS problems if you collect a lot of games or apps: more than a couple hundred apps installed (the number varies) and the iPhone becomes a brick. Not exaggerating--constant reboots. I was unable to restore my old iPhone's backup without leaving my 6 Plus way too crashy to use, and thus I had to set up as a new device, losing all my game progress and non-cloud documents. For now, I have re-installed a limited set of games (mainly brand-new ones) and can appreciate having a rock-stable phone.

Hopefully Apple will fix this bug soon, and then I can restore ALL my old stuff again. I have around 1000 apps, mostly games, and I want them back! (I've heard that if you have this problem you can delete a bunch of apps and the ones that remain will work OK. But amid the once-a-minute crashes that would be difficult, especially since the home screen itself crashes most of all. Besides, there aren't many games in my collection I really want to delete. And I intend to keep adding!)

7. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I only have a 64gb and a handful off apps so I don't think I'll run into that issue unless I decided to go all out with my collection. I do agree that battery is outstanding, I love being able to use the iPhone moderately throughout the day and still have half or less than half a battery charge the end of the day! I actually felt the plus was too huge at launch, but after giving it a chance, there's no way I'll go back to a regular sized phone. This is that much better for video, browsing and gaming. I actually sold my mini because this is big enough for me to not miss it, and if I do get another iPad in the future then it will definitely be the newest Air. As for the one handed use, I do find it annoying to force myself to use 2 hands on the go when I want to check something real quick, but the trade off is more than worth it to have a mini tablet sized screen in my pocket.

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    At first when I first saw it, it look so huge but after using it for a couple days it feels so small now. And the 5S looks like a mini twix bar now :3

9. wml

wml Active Member

Jul 4, 2009

I have a 128Gb 6+ and over 300 apps installed and not had any of these issues

10. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    The limit varies. 300 does not surprise me. My 1000 apps were fine on iPhone 5, but crash the home screen itself on 6 Plus. Some people have deleted apps down to 700 or so before the device will function; others have problems with even lower numbers.

This is the same issue where there was speculation about bad memory chips, although I personally think it sounds like a software issue.

11. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    Are you sure it's not just as a result of the restored settings/data not being compatible with the 6 plus? The iPhone 5 vs. 6 plus are a couple generations of architecture apart, maybe some setting got left over from the iPhone 5 that caused problems on the 6 plus. I tend to avoid restoring from backup when I upgrade due to random issues like this. I set up as new.

Then again, I don't enjoy the prospect of recreating my folder structure for my hundreds of apps every time, either.

It would be nice if you could save and load an app folder structure somewhere (iTunes, iCloud, whatever) without having to backup/restore the entire phone.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    665 apps currently installed on my 64GB 6 plus, restored from a backup of my 32GB 4. No crashes in months of heavy use (almost as much Audiobus + apps as games.) Think I've rebooted twice since I've had it. Still have, but haven't used MemoryInfo much.

Only a few 'banned' apps did not come over - iDOS, Commodore64, SDBall, Best of FTA - they appeared grayed out, if you tap them, show "Waiting..." like they're trying to download from the AppStore. Trying to install via the (legit) IPA files gives errors. Since then I've been able to install two of these (iDOS and SDBall) by searching for them through the "Purchased" section of Updates in the AppStore on my device.

13. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes (although that too would be a critical bug from Apple--if it means you have to lose all your documents and data in all apps, not just one that had a problem).

Because people have tried starting fresh as a new device, and installing apps one at a time. The constant springboard crashes return at a certain (large) number of apps--which is different for everyone. (Maybe the size of the apps makes a difference, or whether you have them in folders or not?)

And you're right, re-organizing dozens/hundreds of apps is no picnic!

Great to hear, thanks for the data point!

Most people seem to run into the issue with 800-1000 apps, but it does vary, so that's just my impression from the Apple boards.

(I've also seen reports that 8.1.3 fixes the problem... for some people, and not for others. I won't rush to install it, but fingers crossed!)