★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looking for feedback on game icon

01-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Looking for feedback on game icon

Hello everyone,

I am finishing my first mobile puzzle game and I need some help to choose icon for the game. Please, take a look on these two options and tell me your opinion that will be great help for me.
This game is not only fun but also great way to improve your brain skills.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	82578   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	82579  
01-05-2015, 06:59 PM
In terms of personal preference, I like the leftmost icon. However, the rightmost one is more eye-catching and attention-grabbing because of the contrasting yellow background.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for comment
01-05-2015, 08:37 PM
I don't like either icon. They both use hands to depict 'thinking' well, but the face and eyes look unhappy and that's a bit depressing. It's not something I'd enjoy seeing on my iphone.

You'll notice that marketers typically use happy faces to promote their products. Unless there's a specific reason to display an unhappy face (such as the game being intentionally based on sadness or frustration) I'd recommend using a different icon.

řƹȡ1
01-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks a lot. Very useful. IŽll think about your suggestion.
01-05-2015, 08:55 PM
I prefer the left one. I feel it's more cohesive, with the way the icon forms the face, and I think it stands out well enough.

Although the one on the right makes good use of the blue/yellow contrast, the actual shapes formed by the blue and yellow aren't quite as compelling as having that whole blue face. It sort of becomes a wodge of blue and a wedge of yellow.

And although technically the one on the right should stand out more, I'm not even sure it does, as having two colours, even contrasting ones, is less effective when surrounded by multicoloured icons than when viewed alone.

By having a fuller face with the mouth included on the left one, even though the icon is predominately blue, it taps into our tendency to hone in on faces.

But if you go with the one on the left, I suggest making the mouth more defined -- be it thicker, darker, or both -- cos right now it tends to disappear at smaller sizes.

Thank you for reading this novella.
01-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Thanks Shaun C!
Till your comment I was't thinking about surrounded multicoloured icons but you are right about that.
01-06-2015, 12:34 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
If you use the all blue and enlarge the hand it is the one that is simple in design and easy to spot on your phone or tablet.

Nice job on the icon and good luck with your app
01-06-2015, 04:40 AM
I like the left one. As was said previously, maybe make the hand a bit bigger. Good luck with your App. The icon is fantastic

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram
01-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks 1stSPIN, thanks Rogue