★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A Road To Massive Downloads Instant Fame

01-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
A Road To Massive Downloads Instant Fame

I have been experimenting and yes advertising vs posting in forums and hoping that someone is going to get you to the top wins hands down. Here is a solution to get the advertising you need at a substantial lower cost than using google ads etc. Form a syndicate of developers, pool your intended promo dollars and negotiate and buy a game that has a huge following. Then use that game to promote your games and ripple your promoted games to promote your new games. Once you get on the upper rungs of the ladder you will have staying power.
01-12-2015, 02:13 AM
uhhh do you know how much some of those games with huge followings are worth?

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...kes-every-day/

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

01-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stSPIN View Post
I have been experimenting and yes advertising vs posting in forums and hoping that someone is going to get you to the top wins hands down. Here is a solution to get the advertising you need at a substantial lower cost than using google ads etc. Form a syndicate of developers, pool your intended promo dollars and negotiate and buy a game that has a huge following. Then use that game to promote your games and ripple your promoted games to promote your new games. Once you get on the upper rungs of the ladder you will have staying power.
This sounds ridiculous.

So yeah lets just 'easily' buy one of those games with a huge following just to then market our own very poor average apps ?

Just nonsense, so devs pool together and re-mortgage houses to buy a game with a huge following, say Clash of Clans ? Then once they've got Clash of Clans they can advertise their own games themselves ?

Pur-lease.
01-12-2015, 07:10 AM
That's what some of the big players do and that is why they stay big.
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I think what you're describing is a publisher.

So your recipe to be a successful developer is to be a publisher instead?
01-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Quote:
That's what some of the big players do and that is why they stay big.
The big players who buy huge games have huge bank accounts.

Unless you have quality long lasting games it is a house of cards ready to fall over even if you do that.

To be honest a lot of your posts come across as a marketer without a decent product looking to make a quick buck with totally unrealistic ideas which haven't been thought out.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
01-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Quote:
If a single app is being used as a promotional vehicle for a group of developers, how is the viral/cross promotional power not compromised by being diluted amongst so many participants?
01-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Well this is just kind of how cross promotion works at some big publishers - acquire companies with attractive IPs and large user numbers and then move those users to move among your other games. So it's not like this is something really novel.

The issue is that I don't really think the way you describe it really works.

Where would you even find so many like-minded, equally wealthy developers with significant marketing budgets that want ownership in another studio or a new IP at the same time? I imagine to get a top tier title - one with significant number of users, well known IP, strong retention of users with a broad demographic that would appeal to multiple developers AND that was up for sale - is prohibitively expensive unless you find a significant number of partners.

Even then, the cost per user for you and your company personally, will likely be much higher than simply buying a campaign. (One that doesn't result in scaring off and alienating the users as they get spammed for cross promotion with a dozen different games at once)

Even if you found partners, who would maintain control or ownership? Would you form a brand new company as a partnership among the significant number of developers you'd need to start the syndicate? What happens when your goals differ from those of your collective? Who wants the burden of running this company that you share with so many other people? What do you do about the costs of running a mid size development studio during the times when you don't actually need a marketing push?

Staying power is not even guaranteed long term for everyone involved as that depends heavily on the audience of both their game and the game just purchased.

You might as well have started this 'plan' with "Make a game that attracts millions of users".
01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
If you think all of the games that have millions of downloads would have those without a big push then massive downloads only depends on a great game.
01-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
uhhh do you know how much some of those games with huge followings are worth?

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/art...kes-every-day/
If you do the math using advertising value only as a factor you are talking about 10s of millions depending on the game. But this market also has a buyer factor, there are only so many people interested in buying and if someone needed to sell they would have to discount. Also there is a longevity factor which means the game is hot but for how long. Each minute could change its market value.