Salaries?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Planetman, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    So if you set p a game company with basic staff like

1 programmer
    1 artist
    1 marketer
    1 soundperson

then how much woul deach expect a year in salary in UK?

Also how to set up in Japan?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Pick up a newspaper and look at job ads...

It also depends if you want some entry level, experienced etc.

For an average employee in those areas I would say 80K Aus which is around 40K pounds a year.

To make that sort of sized company work and assuming your overheads you would need around 300-400K pounds a year IMO.

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unless you have some seed money, I don't think you will get a Startup going. People want to be paid fairly so you are looking at about 80k AUD yearly on average. If you have a bunch of Juniors you can probably get away with 40k annually but you really need at least one senior to direct them. Were you going to have a physical studio? That is another overhead to consider.

I would suggest offering revenue share based on contribution to the project. I would also say, ignore having a physical studio in your early stages (it's a cost you don't need). That is how we are operating. We pay our bills doing contracts and odd jobs (which is why it is taking us so long to make our games - but at least we have minimal overheads and are not stressing about money).

4. negitoro

negitoro Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    I think this is vastly too simple.

I'm sure the salaries across the UK vary considerably depending on your region and even then, it would depend of how experienced or qualified you need any of these people. Obviously, forming a team of 10 year game development veterans in the heart of London would vary from gathering a bunch of fresh uni grads in the middle of the countryside.

As for how the setup in Japan, like much of Asia, it'd make it much easier to have a local partner who speaks the language and understands the local customs.

5. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    The UK salaries are going to be high. I got prices from independents in the USA and the price was up there which should be the same in the UK. To set up a team with office etc is going to be very costly and may not necessary to test a few of your idea. I would suggest a lower entry with you ideas people and a graphic guy and send out the programming on contract. Also to build a rough version of your game to test it and if it meets your expectation then build it.

For my overload I use a guy a European expat who is living in China. He has a few good programmers who are good and fast. He is from Europe but living in China. If you want to give him a ding his email is [email protected]. The way I tested him is by having him build some test games using very basic graphics. Good luck with your games.:)

6. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    I prefer living in Japan. However you could suggest partners here

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    It really depends if you
    a) have money to pay
    b) have financial backing

without either of those things you are bringing nothing to the table and no partner would want to work with you.

You also need to make sure your visa situation is sorted.

8. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    If I buy a game studio in Japan then I would be able to move there on business VISA

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Aren't you running before you can walk ? I mean it's not like you have apps here which everyone is talking about. You won't even tell us your apps!

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Wow...

while that may be a contributing factor VISA's contain way more factors than that. I assume a work VISA of that type would require a history of competence which you don't have.

this... You can't even market a simple app. Nobody is going to give you money to setup this kind of business when you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.

11. Planetman

May 3, 2014
    All you people do on this forum is put people down and degrade them.

Some.people do what they can in their limits to improve their lives

12. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    No I don't. I give honest advice based on what I know. If you want to take it that way then that is your choice.

I am all for people improving themselves but the answer to you wanting to be a game developer isn't hoping someone will give you a pile of cash to start a company when you don't know/don't have a track record. It is the reality of business.

Tell me why someone would invest the half million or so that you need in you rather than do it themselves or hire experienced people?

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Don't let any comments here affect your business plan. Remember the success will not depend on them it all depends on the general public around the world. There is no one here who can predict the next game or company to rise to the top so you are very much in the running. :)

You can get investment money if you know how to find it. You have to remember that there are lots of people who have small amounts of money and want to invest. You can syndicate them into the same venture with an undivided interest. I suggest you do it with a package of games and include a business plan of how you plan to promote them and the project returns to them. When I was in Canada you could get up to 50 people into a venture without going through special regulations. This business has the opportunity to make 100s of millions so you have the proper carrot. You need to show them why you have a good plan. I know of a young developer who made a game in a few days and made $100,000 USD the first month. Games can make a lot of money and once you get up a certain number of rungs in the ladder you will be solid.

When I did it in Canada I used the business opportunity section of the newspaper. I had a good heading that caught investors interest and second line and projected returns and the location and times for open meeting (normally 9 am, 10am, 11am - 2 pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm) . Sometimes I would have 30 people waiting and sometimes none. If none I would go out and have a cappuccino. The presentation would take 10 mins to weed out the those who were tire kickers and 20 minutes was spent giving more info those those who were interested. No one could sign the contract on the spot. They would be given it and would have to call to come back to sign and make their payment. This is only a sample but the fact is you can raise the money but don't expect it to come from other developers.

Good luck and keep me posted. I love to hear from people who set their goals high. :)

14. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sounds like a great way to waste a lot of money. Your chances of success are slim given your track record and skills related to Games Development (given the questions you post here, you seem to be a beginner)

this. As I am certain I have written before, you need to learn how to contribute to the game making process. You also need to start small and keep your overheads to a minimum.

Furthermore, I don't think Destined is being negative for the sake of it. His feedback is genuine and his advice is solid. I suggest you start absorbing the answers to all the questions you ask on these forums (perhaps even engage and discuss the answers people give you). We are trying to give you advice and be helpful.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    We dont want to be negative. But its frustrating as about a LOT of times people have asked you about your apps and you refuse to show them ! You would get constructive criticism, some people may offer services to you.

But despite being asked numerous times you just dont show what you can/cant do and instead keep asking over the top questions all the time

If you show your game here (surely you would do its a site for iOS games) then people can give feedback. We've seen LOTS of apps here, some great, some very bad, but feedback is what you need. Its like you've got your head stuck in the sand and dont want to listen to anyone else. Feedback really helps games (good or bad), some games i've seen i think 'didnt anyone check this' and the dev says 'yes my friends/family did', well they'll obviously say 'great game' despite it being the 9999th Flappy Bird clone. Feedback can only help you for your games

Again, why wont you show your apps here ? Its bizarre

16. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    It's not so strange. I talked to a developer in Vancouver and his company has a few 100 apps published. They make about $500 a day now. He told me that this business is cut throat. If he doesn't want to show his apps that may be the reason but whatever it is you should respect it. :)

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Why wouldnt you want to ? Surely you want sales, word of mouth etc

Just odd on an iOS site which is quite popular where people dont want to show their apps. They should also respect our views on how odd that is. Just doesnt paint their apps in a good light, very very strange

18. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if i had a few hundred apps published (which 110% are junk apps) to earn 500$ a day i'd probably be not to keen to show them around.

Usualy those developer are aware that they sell shovelware and not high quality products. Do you want to advertise that you sell crap? In this forum?

From the questions alone its clear that Planet has nothing to show which is ok.
    Everyone needs to start somewhere but maybe instead of trying to make your own apps why not start as an intern in some other company that already exists.

Get your feet wet in a real professional enviroment and get a good look at the stuff you want to get into.

good luck

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Do rubbish apps really earn that sort of money ? Damn if people here had apps getting $500 a day i think they're very clever !!

I 'thought' most average/rubbish apps only got a few sales here or there, or is this mostly down to adverts etc ? Time for me to do some 'rubbish' apps if they get $500 a day !

20. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    I read it as the 100 or so rubbish apps were earning $500 a day between them, not $500 a day each.