★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Salaries?

01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
Salaries?

So if you set p a game company with basic staff like

1 programmer
1 artist
1 marketer
1 soundperson

then how much woul deach expect a year in salary in UK?

Also how to set up in Japan?
01-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Pick up a newspaper and look at job ads...

It also depends if you want some entry level, experienced etc.

For an average employee in those areas I would say 80K Aus which is around 40K pounds a year.

To make that sort of sized company work and assuming your overheads you would need around 300-400K pounds a year IMO.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8

01-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Unless you have some seed money, I don't think you will get a Startup going. People want to be paid fairly so you are looking at about 80k AUD yearly on average. If you have a bunch of Juniors you can probably get away with 40k annually but you really need at least one senior to direct them. Were you going to have a physical studio? That is another overhead to consider.

I would suggest offering revenue share based on contribution to the project. I would also say, ignore having a physical studio in your early stages (it's a cost you don't need). That is how we are operating. We pay our bills doing contracts and odd jobs (which is why it is taking us so long to make our games - but at least we have minimal overheads and are not stressing about money).

Roguebox Studios
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Daily pics on our Instagram
01-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I think this is vastly too simple.

I'm sure the salaries across the UK vary considerably depending on your region and even then, it would depend of how experienced or qualified you need any of these people. Obviously, forming a team of 10 year game development veterans in the heart of London would vary from gathering a bunch of fresh uni grads in the middle of the countryside.

As for how the setup in Japan, like much of Asia, it'd make it much easier to have a local partner who speaks the language and understands the local customs.
01-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to 1stSPIN
The UK salaries are going to be high. I got prices from independents in the USA and the price was up there which should be the same in the UK. To set up a team with office etc is going to be very costly and may not necessary to test a few of your idea. I would suggest a lower entry with you ideas people and a graphic guy and send out the programming on contract. Also to build a rough version of your game to test it and if it meets your expectation then build it.

For my overload I use a guy a European expat who is living in China. He has a few good programmers who are good and fast. He is from Europe but living in China. If you want to give him a ding his email is gsgeorge99@gmail.com. The way I tested him is by having him build some test games using very basic graphics. Good luck with your games.
01-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by negitoro View Post
I think this is vastly too simple.

I'm sure the salaries across the UK vary considerably depending on your region and even then, it would depend of how experienced or qualified you need any of these people. Obviously, forming a team of 10 year game development veterans in the heart of London would vary from gathering a bunch of fresh uni grads in the middle of the countryside.

As for how the setup in Japan, like much of Asia, it'd make it much easier to have a local partner who speaks the language and understands the local customs.
I prefer living in Japan. However you could suggest partners here
01-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetman View Post
I prefer living in Japan. However you could suggest partners here
It really depends if you
a) have money to pay
b) have financial backing

without either of those things you are bringing nothing to the table and no partner would want to work with you.

You also need to make sure your visa situation is sorted.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
01-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
It really depends if you
a) have money to pay
b) have financial backing

without either of those things you are bringing nothing to the table and no partner would want to work with you.

You also need to make sure your visa situation is sorted.
If I buy a game studio in Japan then I would be able to move there on business VISA
01-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Aren't you running before you can walk ? I mean it's not like you have apps here which everyone is talking about. You won't even tell us your apps!
01-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetman View Post
If I buy a game studio in Japan then I would be able to move there on business VISA
Wow...

while that may be a contributing factor VISA's contain way more factors than that. I assume a work VISA of that type would require a history of competence which you don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Aren't you running before you can walk ? I mean it's not like you have apps here which everyone is talking about. You won't even tell us your apps!
this... You can't even market a simple app. Nobody is going to give you money to setup this kind of business when you have absolutely no idea what you are doing.