★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gunbrick review discussion

01-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Gunbrick review discussion

Affraid I have to disagree with the review score on this! This is a 4.5 any day of the week!
01-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigzisonfire View Post
Affraid I have to disagree with the review score on this! This is a 4.5 any day of the week!
100000000% Agree!

01-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
100000000% Agree!
It hurts me seeing a bad review like this for such a great game, by such an awesome dev!

I think touch arcade underestimate the power they hold over the fortunes of a game. I understand when people say a review is just an opinion. But here, it was a bad opinion that could damage the sales of and future updates of this great game. Maybe even future output from devs.

To give it such a bad score on how big this game should have been seems strange. Surely TA know better than anyone how hard it must be for small devs to create premium games now! This games art, music and mechanic are flawless. To downgrade it so badly of the length of the game and replay ability seems harsh, seeing as a game like monument valley was 5 stars for presentation and mechanic ignoring length!

I love TA. But I hope people read pocket gamers 9/10 review for this gem instead!
01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Quote:
To give it such a bad score on how big this game should have been seems strange.
I'll go one notch further, I don't even think it's fair to say the reviewer downgraded the score for how it *should* have been, merely how they wished it had been, which is a huge pet peeve of mine for any review, regardless of subject. You review the product that is, not the product you wished it was or, worse, imagined it was.

If the game experience actually suffers because feature X is missing, it is fair to downgrade it, but if it is only a matter that the game would have arguably been better with feature X, not fair to lower the score.

Seems the reviewer was suffering from the same Veruca Salt syndrome as plagues these forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my paraphrasing ;)
Yeah, nice game, everything in it was spot on...

But you know what would have really made it pop? Double the levels, Game Center achievements, procedurally generated levels, more trap types, challenge levels, and, oh yeah!, a PONY!!!

Given that you can only rate between one to five full stars, a 3.5 means the game is merely a step above being decent enough that it's worth playing for the target audience. I'd argue the polish and originality of this puzzle centric platformer makes it better than that.

Game Center : "Chip H."
01-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Yes, bad score from TA, this game comes in my top ten for game of the year 2015, that's for sure. It's pure video gaming greatness.
01-13-2015, 01:23 PM
The moment I've seen the 3,5/5 I knew it's Carter Dotson's review. Well, what can I say? I'd rather say nothing, I've been already blocked on Disqus by Eli for expressing my opinion in the comments so I keep it to myself. That being said, this game deserves 5 stars without any doubts. Nitrome, don't let this review affect you in any negative way, you did a great job.

Game Center / Google Play Games -> macplash
01-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Right now im still debating with myself whether to add this to my GOTY2015 list, but one thing's for sure. This is a friggin good game deserving of at least a 4/5.

What i dont like about the review is that it wants the game to be expanded. Sure a game can easily be expanded, but that expansion should be a different review. The review should focus on the what-the-game-offers, and not the what-else-have-yous.

It's clear Carter likes the game, but felt the game lacked in replay value or length. That is understandable, but the fact that he likes the game felt like 3.5 is too low for how he described it. I wonder who reviewed Monument Valley? Im guessing it wasnt carter, coz that may not look like a 5 to him maybe.
01-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by macplash View Post
The moment I've seen the 3,5/5 I knew it's Carter Dotson's review. Well, what can I say? I'd rather say nothing, I've been already blocked on Disqus by Eli for expressing my opinion in the comments so I keep it to myself. That being said, this game deserves 5 stars without any doubts. Nitrome, don't let this review affect you in any negative way, you did a great job.
Yea I too was blocked for sharing my opinion on Limbo's 3star review!
01-13-2015, 03:06 PM
reminds me of meteroid that was enough to get a download from me lol
01-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Yea I too was blocked for sharing my opinion on Limbo's 3star review!
I got blocked too. Didn't use any foul language.

Last edited by somedumbgamer; 01-13-2015 at 05:30 PM.