★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What's everyone's thoughts on reviews for games?

01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on reviews for games?

It seems, like Eli says, if someone gives a game a review score people don't like, all they do is bash the reviewer. This is also a problem, in my opinion, with game sites in general, espically for say IGN. If the masses don't like the review score, they have a humongous fit and bash the reviewer and don't even talk about the game at all... So, I personally think removing scores is a good thing but that's just me. What do you all think?
01-15-2015, 03:46 PM
I like the scores no matter if it coincides with mine. I like the reviewers. I like their haters.

It's fun to read through comments. Tons of idiots think the reviewer should eat only food and drinks they like and not food and drinks the reviewer likes.

No matter... They are all entertaining to a certain extent.

I guess it's human nature. It's like religion. "You better change your religion into mine or we go to war."

01-15-2015, 04:12 PM
agree 100% with EP above. I love the love and love the hate. Makes for a blooming good read when I'm brushing my teeth of an evening.
01-15-2015, 04:47 PM
If someone rates a game as a 5, there's more chance I'll read about it than if it scored a 3. The rating score is just another factor, along with the title, genre, screenshots, thread popularity, trailer etc.

Since TA tags games by their star ratings, it also makes it easier to browse back through older games that were well-rated.

That said, reviews are all personal opinion and people have different tastes, so games with low scores can be gems.

řƹȡ1
01-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spader623 View Post
It seems, like Eli says, if someone gives a game a review score people don't like, all they do is bash the reviewer. This is also a problem, in my opinion, with game sites in general, espically for say IGN. If the masses don't like the review score, they have a humongous fit and bash the reviewer and don't even talk about the game at all... So, I personally think removing scores is a good thing but that's just me. What do you all think?
IGN gave Alien : Isolation a 5 out of 10. A really awesome game too!
Possible reasons why:

1.They weren't payed to boost dat score.
2. It's not Call of Duty, not enough guns!
3. Too much water.
01-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonomation View Post
Possible reasons why:

3. Too much water.
If your trolling, you did a decent job. If your making a joke, you did a good job.
01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Possible reasons why:

3. Too much water.
They also gave Wolfenstein: The New Order a 7.8, my GOTY because 'unremarkable gunplay' rly?!? Double wielded automatic shotguns aren't remarkable? Is CoD gunplay remarkable?
Now that I ended with my rant...
I think that reviews, specially of games are not 100% accurate, see there are subjective aspects of a videogame like the music or graphic style that are things of personal taste and that sometimes the reviewers are just hyping and giving an unfairly high score to a game, again Titanfall, Assasin's Creed: Unity and yes, Call Of Duty are prime example of that (I was massively dissapointed with Titanfall TBH) and sometimes I think that a review without a score but rather with OBJECTIVE good and bad aspects of a game could be better as a consumer's guide as most people just scroll down to were the score is and decide based on a probably unfair score.
Here in TA I haven't seen a lot of unfair scores, just scores that I disagree (MC5) but I think that at least Eli and the rest of the TA reviewers give good points on their reviews, specially Shaun.
But again is just my opinion on the matter.
01-15-2015, 06:49 PM
A reviewer have personal preference, and taste.
You don't have to always agree with them.
Sometimes I read some reviews on games that I tried, and I asked myself if did played the same game. ( confusion)

And why bashing reviewers? That's how we got corrupted reviews. The critics need to be sincere, that's all.
01-15-2015, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Possible reasons why:

3. Too much water.
Haha, good one
01-15-2015, 08:02 PM
Personally, I'm in favor of reviews for games.