★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Why the Katamari hate?

12-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Why the Katamari hate?

I loved it. What's wrong with it?

1g iPod touch here...

Gameplay early in game

Youtube link | Pop Up

Game play at later stage

Youtube link | Pop Up

See also Front page forums here and here.

Last edited by salsamd; 12-18-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: added videos and other forums for reference
12-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Send a message via AIM to matt
The general feeling amongst gamers/reviewers is that the controls are too awkward and difficult to enjoy, like Super Monkey Ball, and the frame rate is less then perfect when you get farther into the game.

An update could fix these issues and make the game a good experience, but until then its a novelty.

@mmccarty

Gameloft LIVE: mattmccarty

12-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
People weren't happy with the major framerate issues that make the game just about unplayable.

The problems should be fixed though. I can't see the developer just completely forgetting about it. The game looks awesome other than that.

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge
12-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Too slow to play it, beginning with the first "blur"-effect, wich isn't an effect because you nearly see still shots instead of an animation. After an update, this game will be fantastic. But now...a great demo for the first 2 minutes.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
12-18-2008, 02:38 PM
I have a 1g ipod touch...the slowest one.

Katamari runs perfect for me...but I don't reboot. it's slow during "enlarging" but other than that its perfect. how can it be slow on faster devices?

controls? tap the katamari to calibrate (center) the accelerometer. they don't make this clear but it makes things 100x easier. it naturally gets harder to control as it gets bigger!
12-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I admit that Katamari is in many cases a sluggish awkward game to play. I Love the PS2 version and played it a ton, but the iphone version feels too sluggish. I don't mind the controls at all, they aren't as nice as dual analog sticks, but they make sense for the game. Its entirely the framerate. It just feels like the game runs way too slow. Someone even mentioned somewhere that they times it and it actually takes 8 min to finish a 6min level, that's bad. Id really like to enjoy it on the iphone, but I just cant.

I haven't tried rebooting first and switching to airplane mode or anything, but I should't have to every time I want to run a game at full speed.
12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
It's pretty much perfect, the controls are great, they're faithful to the difficult controls from previous versions, and the only issues I get are the sort of slow motionness of the game, and when the katanari enlarges.
12-18-2008, 03:57 PM
There's an article on the main blog now, regarding performance improvements in an upcoming update.
12-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Update can't come fast enough.

I really HURTS to see a game this polished and well deserving of a purchase hindered by a few, but destructive issues...

I want to play this game SO bad.
12-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Update can't come fast enough.

I really HURTS to see a game this polished and well deserving of a purchase hindered by a few, but destructive issues...

I want to play this game SO bad.
Same here. I was excited to see it come to the app store, but I haven't bought it because of all the complaints. If they really do fix it, it could be great on the iPhone. It seems very well suited.