★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Oh So Shiny
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 79.4 MB
  • Version: 1.8
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Featured by Apple Best Games of June 2015

4.5 out of 5 stars - Bouncing Bliss rewards skill rather than simply having the player rely on luck, and as a result, brings something truly fresh to an already well-worn genre. - Gamezebo

4.5 out of 5 stars - Get your funk on The unique gameplay concept also makes this title stand out above the rest of the competition. - AppAdvice

Fling, bounce and boost your way around this blast through time! You must collect Dr. MC's lost marbles to save the universe in this eye popping adventure of speed, timing, skill and luck!

"Riff the Robot" combines the puzzle gameplay of a bubble shooter with the punchy excitement of a pinball game. Riffs unique Side Thrusters give you total control to send him firing off slingshots, sticking on magnets, slipping around speed slides, bouncing off bumpers, and a whole lot more!

Super Awesome Features:

Simple to play, difficult to master
80+ levels of awesome
Loaded with eye candy
Tons of marbles to collect
Earn stars to open bonus levels
Unique power ups for crazy possibilities
Points multiplier for super scores
Leaderboards to see your friends time travels
Game Center Achievements
Sync between all devices using Facebook and/or Game Center
Totally Awesome. Totally FREE!

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest news:
www.facebook.com/OhSoShinyGames
twitter.com/OhSoShinyGames

For more on Riff the Robot:
ohsoshiny.com

gatchaman73's comments:

Riff the Robot

Oh So Shiny
Genres: Games Family Arcade
GAME CENTER ENABLED
Free

Quote:
Fling, bounce and boost your way around this blast through time! You must collect Dr. MC's lost marbles to save the universe in this eye popping adventure of speed, timing, skill and luck!

"Riff the Robot" combines the puzzle gameplay of a bubble shooter with the punchy excitement of a pinball game. Riff’s unique Side Thrusters give you total control to send him firing off slingshots, sticking on magnets, slipping around speed slides, bouncing off bumpers, and a whole lot more!

Super Awesome Features:

• Simple to play, difficult to master
• 80+ levels of awesome
• Loaded with eye candy
• Tons of marbles to collect
• Earn stars to open bonus levels
• Unique power ups for crazy possibilities
• Points multiplier for super scores
• Leaderboards to see your friends time travels
• Game Center Achievements
• Sync between all devices using Facebook and/or Game Center
• Time Travel to the 70’s, 80’s, and beyond!
• Totally Awesome. Totally FREE!

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for the latest news:
www.facebook.com/OhSoShinyGames
twitter.com/OhSoShinyGames

For more on Riff the Robot:
ohsoshiny.com

Supported Devices:
  • iPhone4
  • iPhone5c
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPhone5
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPhone5s
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPad23G
  • iPadThirdGen4G

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 7.1

Download Size: 64.9MB

Available June 4, 2015!

01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
This looks like my kind of game! Will this have Game Center achievements?

240,000+ Game Center Achievement points
Gamecenter ID: Donny K76
PSN ID: donnydj76
Let's go Yankees!

01-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Achievements we be coming soon, hopefully the next build. We have been working on setting them up. Check out our website it has some more images and info. Also, will be releasing game play videos soon to really show how it plays! So stay tuned.

Last edited by gatchaman73; 01-19-2015 at 11:10 AM.
01-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Took this for a ride, as the screenshots look pretty slick. It's a spin on the classic pinball game.

The gameplay involves catapulting Riff the Robot into a pinball-style table, then swiping left or right to trigger his limited (but re-charging) side thrusters. If he falls back into the catapult, you can fling him up again. But, if he misses the catapult, you'll lose a life. Although there's a second chance - if you manage to thrust Riff into a moving portal platform at the bottom, he'll be recovered. This is all familiar territory for pinball players.

Some levels have more than one catapult or magnets, which allow you to aim and thrust from higher up the table to claim those hard to reach marbles. I was initially concerned it might be a fling-and-watch affair, but no, there's interaction throughout each level.

The goal of each level is to collect all the green marbles to unlock the exit gates, collect other marbles for extra points, then shoot Riff out an exit gate, which all offer different scores and rewards. Each marble has a different value based on it's color, which allows for score multipliers, so there's some depth for high-score chasers. Game Center is supposedly supported, but no high scores or achievements were displayed when I checked. (UPDATE: Just saw dev's notes above and below)

The level map is divided into the 1970's, 80's and 90's, with music to suit each decade, starting with disco.

Let's look at IAP: A full-screen 15-second video advert played after I completed level 8 and 9. There's energy allocated by a timer mechanism, and energy is required to play a level, so I guess restrictions will kick in at some point requiring a wait or IAP purchases. I've completed the first 10 levels, but not sure yet if IAP is required to unlock the next stage (1980's) or if this is based on scores / stars.

It's free and enjoyable and worth a download, but how much longer I play will depend entirely on the IAP, timers and adverts which I can sense lurking to one side, ready to pounce. UPDATE: At level 19, it's now telling me to wait 25 minutes to get 1 energy, or buy IAP, otherwise I can't play.

řƹȡ1

Last edited by Red1; 01-17-2015 at 09:43 PM.
01-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write up the review Red1! Gatchaman73 and I make up the entire 2 man team that put this together, and we're thrilled to finally have this released to the wild. We'll be actively watching this thread for feedback/reviews like yours, so we really appreciate the feedback!

Yes, our GameCenter integration is very light at the moment, but we'll be taking full advantage of it in the future. As it stands, we're currently only using GameCenter to tie you to an account on our server, allowing us to seamlessly support multi-device play on a single account.

Again, thanks for playing everyone!

Last edited by Callabrator; 01-17-2015 at 10:43 PM.
01-17-2015, 09:38 PM
You guys have done a very professional job for a 2-person team. Nice work.

řƹȡ1
01-19-2015, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
Hey thanks! We've poured our lives into it!
01-19-2015, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post

Thank you for the writeup/review and complement! We both love what we do, and hopefully it reflects in our game.

Here is the youtube video we posted today to show some of the gameplay moments. More to come.... in the future!

gatchaman73
oh so shiny : games made fun
ohsoshiny.com
01-20-2015, 04:16 AM
Looks good, cant wait to try this when it goes live in the UK.
01-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Because I love reading other's developer stories, here are a few trinkets to give you guys some insight into the game's creation:
-Made in 1 year by 2.5 guys working out of Starbucks. 1 Programmer (me), 1 Artist/Level Designer (gatchaman73), and 1 part time Audio guy.
-Client built with Unity3d. Plugins: NGUI, 2D Toolkit, and Vectrosity
-Server is running on Parse.com
-Prototype took 2 months to "find the fun", but fleshing out the rest of the game took forever!
-Implementing the ability to affect Riff's falling motion by swiping on the screen to fire his side thrusters was an "ah HA!" moment
-Making the marble collection physics feel right took 17 iterations.
-The first "toy" I built was the slingshot, as it was the centerpiece of the whole design
-Mid stream switching from Unity's 3d to 2d physics was hugely painful, but also ultimately the right call as perf improved significantly
-Supporting anonymous, Game Center, and/or Facebook logins is rather complex and absolutely no fun to code up.

And for fun, here's a shot of the early prototype vs the final product:

Prototype:

Final: