★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Power App GmbH
  • Genre:
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 43.8 MB
  • Version: 1.3.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (4)
App description: A DOS to run on the iPhone and iPad.
NEW: Sound emulation and external Bluetooth Keyboard enabled!

The first Disk Operating Systems were introduced when Tape Memory was replaced with rotating Disks. This was in the 60'ies of the last century. Since then a lot has changed, but many of us remember the days when there was no Graphical User Interface.

This app now is troducing DOS for mobile devices. Not laptops, but phones. iPhone and iPad, to be precise. It is a perfect emulator of the DOS that so many games and applications in the 80'ies and 90'ies have been running on.

Win and Win95 were running on DOS, showing what a 16bit operating system is capable of. If sys ini, commanc.com, config.sys and .exe sound familiar to you, then this is the app for you.

You can navigate your files now with the Day Commander, play Minesweeper or have your Graphical Environment Manager with GEM 6.

The DOS is not just a CLI, it is a full fledged operating system. It does everything that the Ancient DOS did. It is capable of executing batch files or installing some of the game classics that never made it past DOS. It probably runs much better than the original DOS used to run on old PC's, which were state of the art back then.

30 years is old enough to be called vintage, and it brings as much power as it did back then ;-) With this app you can get this vintage feeling on your iPhone or iPad.

Features
SoundCard emulation
External Bluetooth Keyboard
Disk Operating System
Graphical Environment Manager 6
Minesweeper
Everything you would expect from DOS ;)

If you have ideas, feedback, suggestions or anything elso you would like to tell us, do not hesitate to drop us a line!

And if you like Power DOS, be not shy to leave a good review!

Sciencematthew's comments:

Power DOS

Power App GmbH
Genres: Entertainment Productivity
$0.99 USD

Quote:
A DOS to run on the iPhone and iPad.

The first Disk Operating Systems were introduced when Tape Memory was replaced with rotating Disks. This was in the 60'ies of the last century. Since then a lot has changed, but many of us remember the days when there was no Graphical User Interface.

This app now is troducing DOS for mobile devices. Not laptops, but phones. It is a perfect emulator of the DOS that so many games and applications in the 80'ies and 90'ies have been running on.

Win and Win95 were running on DOS, showing what a 16bit operating system is capable of. If sys ini, commanc.com, config.sys and .exe sound familiar to you, then this is the app for you.

The DOS is not just a CLI, it is a full fledged operating system. It does everything that the Ancient DOS did. It is capable of executing batch files or installing some of the game classics that never made it past DOS. It probably runs much better than the original DOS used to run on old PC's, which were state of the art back then.

30 years is old enough to be called vintage, and it brings as much power as it did back then ;-) With this app you can get this vintage feeling on your iPhone or iPad.
Minimum iOS Version: iOS 5.1.1

Download Size: 4.4MB

--
Alrighty: I have purchased it, and copied some of my old floppy dumps onto it. It does work(quite well on my iPod 4 6.1.6, and 5S on 7.1.2, however there are a few notable points you may wish to be aware of:
  • This application is by another Developer, Fastintelligence(litchie). None of the profits go to him/her(but some may argue it is reasonable for getting your developer account suspended)
  • It violates open source, takes credit for work not by the dev hosting source code.
  • It needs iExplorer, or equivilant to get to /Documents/ Direrectory. Unknown if iOS 8 is supported, earlier(6,7 do work)THERE IS NO ITUNES FILE TRANSFER!
Enjoy, download, and backup. I doubt it will last.
Here is what you get when you type in "ver":
Quote:
DOSPAD 1.0, based on DOSBox version 0.74. Reported DOS version 5.0
Compatibility:
Windows 3.0 Multimedia-works
DOOM- Works
MSPACMAN.com -works.
GCC 2.8.1 -works.

Enjoy.
01-17-2015, 02:09 AM
So I'm unfamilliar about dos.... So can dos play games? Is this like an emulator?

Currently Playing: Crashlands, Pokemon Heart Gold, Digimon Re: Digitize, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
Officially moved to android

01-17-2015, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know if SWOS 95/96 will work in this DOS emulator?

A couple of years ago it was only the old games that worked, so I'm wondering if it has improved since then.
01-17-2015, 02:29 AM
x86 Emulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_envoys View Post
So I'm unfamilliar about dos.... So can dos play games? Is this like an emulator?
It can run games(Daggerfall, Civ 1, The Original Fallout, GBA/NES emulator inside an emulator), Run windows 95, and much more. It is like having a mini 90's computer inside your device! look into iDOS, you can do all of that stuff with this(as long as you own+dump/copy the software yourself). Downloading it from the internet is a grey-probably illegal area as most of the copyright holders are still around and active.

And for Zemar:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemar View Post
Does anyone know if SWOS 95/96 will work in this DOS emulator?

A couple of years ago it was only the old games that worked, so I'm wondering if it has improved since then.
If it works in DOSbox .74(latest version) it will work in this software.
DOSBOX compatibility search utility. Dosbox itself emulates an x86 instruction set, and MSDOS version 5.0. Specifically for the program you suggested, I do not have it, so I cannot test it. But if you can run it on DOSBox on your PC/Mac, it will run on this emulator.

Current Projects: Stuff for the 3DS Homebrew Scene.
My Site
Current Equipment: MBP 2010 15" + iPhone 5S + 3DS Classic
01-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Ha ha looks like iDos. We had a lot of fun with it in iPad 1 times, you could even run W95 with it.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/idos/id377135644?mt=8

Old iDos thread
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=71071

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 01-17-2015 at 02:37 AM.
01-17-2015, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencematthew View Post
And for Zemar:

If it works in DOSbox .74(latest version) it will work in this software.
DOSBOX compatibility search utility. Dosbox itself emulates an x86 instruction set, and MSDOS version 5.0. Specifically for the program you suggested, I do not have it, so I cannot test it. But if you can run it on DOSBox on your PC/Mac, it will run on this emulator.
Thank you for the answer
01-17-2015, 02:57 AM
@Zemar
No problem(: If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am not to bad with such things(decently proficient in fact)

@Habakuk
Thanks for posting the links. There are some good things in the iDOS folder.

Current Projects: Stuff for the 3DS Homebrew Scene.
My Site
Current Equipment: MBP 2010 15" + iPhone 5S + 3DS Classic
01-17-2015, 04:21 AM
Not in Germany :-( Too bad as i would love to play deluxe ski jump 2 on my iphone :-/
01-17-2015, 04:38 AM
Insanely stupid question but what is the difference between this and idos or idos2 for that matter?
01-17-2015, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
Insanely stupid question but what is the difference between this and idos or idos2 for that matter?
same question here... i would like to know if the old iDOS v2.0.1 or iDOS 2 have both the same DOSBOX 0.74 version.