Universal [BETA] What on Earth! - Crazy physics racing

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by traplightgames, Jan 19, 2015.

1. traplightgames

traplightgames Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    #1 traplightgames, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    We are looking for beta testers!

http://bit.ly/WoE_beta

Trailer

Cheerio from Traplight Games! We’re a bunch of developers from Finland and we are currently working on a new IP, What on Earth!, a combination of user-generated content (think of LittleBigPlanet or Minecraft) and physics-based racing (think of Hill Climb Racing or Trials), with good old Nintendo-like fun.

The Game
    In What on Earth! all the levels are created and rated by the players - so we need you guys! Here are some of the features of the game:

In-game level creator designed for touchscreens

[​IMG]

Physics-based racing and daily tournaments to challenge your friends in (Facebook & Game Center)

[​IMG]

The backstory of our game:

NASA’s Voyager probe (you know, the one they sent to space in the 70’s) crashes the planet of a curious alien race. The aliens find the galactic coordinates of Earth enclosed inside the probe, and point all their technology towards those coordinates. They start receiving TV signals from our planet, and get fascinated about us humans and our weird habits. The aliens start researching what it means to be human through a series of wacky, dangerous and crazy experiments, often spiced with lots of misunderstandings regarding what they have witnessed on our TV broadcasts.

BETA TESTERS WANTED!

We’re looking for small amount people to start with, so act fast if you want to be included in the first batch. However we are planning to expand the beta a bit later.

If you’re interested, check this link:
    http://bit.ly/WoE_beta

Note that you need an iOS device with iOS 8 or newer and an internet connection to play. The game runs smootly with 60 fps even on older devices, such as iPad 2.

2. Hiipi

Hiipi Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Graphics Dude
    Tampere, Finland
    One of the devs here, 'sup.

We'd want to find a group of players that could help us along the way, give feedback in which direction we should take the game. It's a kind of game that lives and breathes from the community, and we'd want to involve that aspect right from the start.

You're our only hope, Obi-Wan Toucharcabi!

We at the studio have had a lot fun with the ingame editor, and have loads of ideas on what kinds of vehicles and gadgets to put in next, but we'd want to hear from you guys as well!

Come check it out, doesn't cost a dime!

I'll post an ingame video showing more of the endgame gadgets later on, to show you the kinds of things we have already. Here's a quick gif with some racing action as a snack:

[​IMG]

3. Fat Bat Studio

Fat Bat Studio Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Wow! This looks really great! The editor tools look really interesting and easy to use!
    Do you have any idea about the release date?

4. Hiipi

Hiipi Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Graphics Dude
    Tampere, Finland
    #4 Hiipi, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Thanks, Val Kilmer!

We're doing our best to get it out in the summer. First this beta, then we listen to the players, fix what needs to be fixed and then hopefully it's still summer (2015).

Here's another quick preview to give you some idea of all the gadgets and gizmos we have at the moment. More will come (and that's why we'd love to have some of yous telling us what works and what doesn't).

YouTube: video

5. oneantonio505

oneantonio505 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    I just signed up for beta cant wait to play looks great

6. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    I've also signed up:)

7. Singer

Singer Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    ohh nice game look

8. traplightgames

Oct 28, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    #8 traplightgames, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Hi guys! Thanks for your interest. We've received some inquiries about when the beta will start, so here's some info:

We're going to send the first batch of invitations this week, so those who are already waiting to get their hands on our game will get to play it pretty soon :)

However, we are keeping the registration open for now, so even if you notice this thread later you can still sign up and we will send you and invitation in a another patch.

Keep the questions coming, we are here to answer you!

9. Hiipi

Hiipi Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Graphics Dude
    Tampere, Finland
    Here's a little something more, a little more in-depth look under the hood. And an important note: even though there's tilting mentioned a few times, it doesn't mean tilt controls (just to clarify, we all know why).

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/ep1aPPJJqik

10. magicfreak

magicfreak Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Research /GamingSoon @AppAdvice.com
    The Game Got Featured On AppAdvice. Check It Out!!

11. traplightgames

Oct 28, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    The Beta is now open

We have sent the invitation emails to the first batch of people. Thanks everyone who has signed up so far!

However, we are keeping the beta registration still open, so anyone who still wants to join in is more than welcome to do so :)

We are here for any questions you may have. Cheers!

12. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Hey, I signed up for beta can't wait to play. Will send feedback when I've played :D

13. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Wow, sorry for late reply but your game is awesome! I didn't check my mail until now and then I found the beta, downloaded and was instantly hooked, I mean you can create your own levels! It reminds me (in looks) of a game called Moto heroes by ubisoft

14. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    very nice physics. gonna play this one for sure.

15. Hiipi

Hiipi Active Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Graphics Dude
    Tampere, Finland
  16. antonio505

antonio505 Member

Jun 12, 2014
  17. traplightgames

Oct 28, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    #17 traplightgames, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Update for beta

Hello everyone! We got some news for you :)

An update for the beta is out.

The update (Beta 1.5.0 - Client version 7) includes bugfixes, everyplay support (not yet supported in the editor mode) and more missions!

We still have slots available for those who want to join the beta, so here's once a again the sign up link for those who are interested:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1W2XjgDLrtUPXKHYn-RjlBX337aBRqOxJo0ttbeZL8SM/viewform

Here's an example video that was recorded by our CEO Riku. Look at him go!

https://everyplay.com/videos/13526971

18. Takeo_Masaki

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    #18 Takeo_Masaki, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    I've been playing the game more and I have some impressions:
    PROS:
    - You can create your own levels (you need customisation in a game to make it a game I'd say and this is what on earth's)
    - you'd think the controls were boring (move forward, move back) but they're the exact opposite. They make the game different as you have to be careful with you're speed instead of leaning with buttons
    - you actually research the elements introduced in the game which is cool
    - you often receive gems ( after every couple of levels) unlike other games

CONS:
    - the icon doesn't represent the game as well as it could
    - you only have a limited playing time (energy) please don't do that it annoys me! Make the game premium!
    - you cannot customise your car (that I'm aware of) that would be really good. It would be cool if you could actually draw the decoration on the parts of your car e.g. Flowers on the bonnet and flames on the sides or something
    - I know it's called 'what on earth' but it would be great if you could unlock research on other planets like Venus and stuff.

I hope you take in my feedback and reply soon, I'd like to hear your comments on it. Thanks

Takeo

19. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    I just applied. This may scratch the itch of a Trials-like racer I have been wanting. I can't wait to check this out. :)

20. traplightgames

Oct 28, 2009
    Game developer
    Tampere, Finland
    Hello Takeo, and thanks a lot for your feedback!

It's nice to hear that you enjoyed the game mechanics and physics, we've really put a lot of effort into making them smooth and keeping them simple. You might have noticed that the controls are a bit different between the car and the bike, making the car more casual and the bike more hardcore vehicle (as you can easily die by hitting your head). Most people who have played games like Trials really enjoy the bike and some people prefer the car and it's more carefree driving. More vehicles will follow, and there will be those in-between ones too, not just the car and the bike.

We're also making the game to adapt to individual preferences better in the future, so if someone only likes the more hardcore vehicles, then the game will start offering that content more. This way we make sure the game doesn't become frustrating to anyone.

AND yes, we are planning on adding vehicle (and possibly character) customization option, so if you keep playing you will most likely get your flames or flowers on your truck ;) The drawing sounds like a great idea! We'll talk about it at the office and see if it could be done.

There aren't a lot of tech/gadgets on other planets to research tho? :D Maybe we could add the Mars Rover as a vehicle or something, heh.

About the icon, what would you suggest? What kind of image would represent the game best in your opinion? :)

We hope you keep playing and giving feedback! Thanks again. Let us know if you have anything else in mind.

Veera