★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

99 Bricks Wizard Academy By WeirdBeard [$2,99 -> FREE]

01-21-2015, 01:49 PM
99 Bricks Wizard Academy By WeirdBeard [$2,99 -> FREE]

The best Tetris-like on the App Store in my opinion. The beta version was freemium, but it was released as a premium game, it worths suppporting.

Last edited by Pipipitchu; 01-21-2015 at 01:59 PM.
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM
i think it was no longer paid anymore. they add remove ads feature in this version..

01-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomania View Post
i think it was no longer paid anymore. they add remove ads feature in this version..
I love this game.Was hooked for awhile until I completed it.Wish the brick counter feature came sooner.I think the ads were added for new players because I don't get any.Fair game but it's sad that they've decided to make it free-to-play.I just hope that by making it free now that they'll add more levels and stuff.
01-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Wasn't this initially free? Then they switched to paid?

I might be thinking of a diff game.

I bought when it was paid, just reinstalled and have ads now.

Last edited by cloudpuff; 01-21-2015 at 06:40 PM.
01-21-2015, 07:36 PM
I updated this today. No ads here. This was one of my favorites of 2014. The update added achievements and a block counter. Wish more people would have played it so they didn't have to go free with ads. Sucks you have them now CP...
01-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
I updated this today. No ads here. This was one of my favorites of 2014. The update added achievements and a block counter. Wish more people would have played it so they didn't have to go free with ads. Sucks you have them now CP...
I'm guessing if people have deleted and reinstalled they'll have them.

I have the previous version backed up on PC so can just reinstall that and then update.
01-22-2015, 09:52 AM
Hey guys,

Great to see people are still excited about 99 Bricks. We didn't expect to see this thread here so quickly!

First things first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpuff View Post
I bought when it was paid, just reinstalled and have ads now.
We built in the option to check your receipt for people who already bought the game when it was still premium. Hit the “Remove Ads” button in the main menu and a popup will open. Then hit the “Check Receipt” button and all ads should be removed free of charge. We want to keep our paying customers happy of course, so we hope you understand.

Because so many people here praised us for our switch from F2P to premium we feel we owe these boards an explanation about our switch back.

After a somewhat disappointing soft launch with our F2P version we figured our game simply was a better fit for a premium model.

We decided to go premium and got a ton of positive attention, great reviews and we’re even featured in most countries in the iOS App Store. However, sales were still disappointing and we weren’t even close to breaking even.

Then we released the same version on Android, except we tried out ad support (with an IAP to remove all ads). We were featured by Google in the Play Store and to our surprise made more with ad impressions than we did with premium sales on iOS. Obviously this was working a lot better!

Even though we’d rather see our game thrive as a premium product, reality shows that the ad supported model is healthier in today’s market and to us still feels like an honest way to monetize. This is why we decided to also release our ad supported version on iOS and see where it goes.

To reach out to our premium players as much as we can we built in the following:

- If you bought the premium version, still have it installed and update the game now, you’ll never see an ad.

- If you bought the premium version, uninstalled it and reinstall it now (like Cloudpuff), you can check your receipt in the Remove Ads popup that opens when you hit one of the “Remove Ads” buttons. This will remove all ads if you indeed have a valid receipt.

We hope you guys understand our current course of action and would love to hear any thoughts, opinions or other comments you might have.

Thanks for your support and happy tower building!

Check out our latest game 99 Bricks: Wizard Academy. Available now on iOS and Android!

Last edited by WeirdBeard; 01-23-2015 at 10:14 AM.
01-22-2015, 10:07 AM
I totally understand. It's sad that even with all that exposure you still weren't able to break even with such a quality game. Seems to be the way things are going though, with the vast majority of people just not willing to pay for a game. Good for you for doing the only thing you could to stay afloat. And I'm glad to hear that the new pay model is working better. Also very cool that you care about your paid customers and put in that remove ads feature. I look forward to supporting you guys in your future iOS offerings. :-)

PS - Thank you for the new features you added in the update, especially the achievements!

Last edited by Anotherkellydown; 01-22-2015 at 10:14 AM.
01-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdBeard View Post
Hey guys,
We built in the option to check your receipt for people who already bought the game when it was still premium. ... We want to keep our paying customers happy of course, so we hope you understand.
To reach out to our premium players as much as we can we built in the following:

- If you bought the premium version, still have it installed and update the game now, you’ll never see and ad.

- If you bought the premium version, uninstalled it and reinstall it now (like Cloudpuff), you can check your receipt in the Remove Ads popup that opens when you hit one of the “Remove Ads” buttons. This will remove all ads if you indeed have a valid receipt.

Nothing. But. Class.

Being honest about it, the game isn't my thing, but I find myself tempted to pick it up and buy the IAP as a gesture to support a developer who is successfully managing "needing money" with "having morals and ethics."

Again I say... Nothing. But. Class.

Good luck with your work, and I'll definitely be paying attention to future releases.

Cheers!

DBC

I could never give up.
01-22-2015, 12:57 PM
i bought this game and like how polished it is.
i wasn't very good at it and so didn't play it for long.
i find tetris much more straight forward but loved the idea of this game and what it adds to the tetris formula.
sorry to hear you didn't make much money on it - hopefully that will increase for you. although i hate ads in games, i understand why you needed to go this route and glad to hear that at least i won't be seeing any ads in my update.
good luck and thanks for providing us TA readers with the info to help us understand what happened.