★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hook Champ (Grappling Hook Platformer) + Trailer

09-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Hook Champ (Grappling Hook Platformer) + Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

I've been working on this game for a few months now. It's a physics platformer in which you have to use your grappling hook to race to safety. There's also a shop in which you can upgrade your character, buy new items to help you, or spend all your loot on buying new hats.

It's got about 24 levels right now. Each level has its own scoreboard, with local and internet options. After the release in a couple weeks, I'll be working on extra level packs for content patches.

Let me know what you think about the trailer! I'll be watching this thread.
09-13-2009, 09:01 PM
oh wow, that looks like some retro goodness....how do the controls work?

Front Page Tug Boat Chief Engineer
Check out the awesome Fuzion: Age of Wordcraft website
Follow me and the game on Twitter
preview thread (Fuzion is still in development)

09-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmx View Post
oh wow, that looks like some retro goodness....how do the controls work?
We tried to go for a pixelly retro style for the game. Glad you like it!

Tap to latch your hook where you tap, hold to let go/jump/sail in the air, release to latch again. There's buttons for item use and reeling your hook in. There's also context sensitive touch for running left and right or changing hook direction drastically and suddenly.

There's a little, unobtrusive tutorial segment in the first level to teach players all of the above, too.
09-13-2009, 09:15 PM
That looks awesome! reminds me a little of the game "Montezuma's revenge" for some reason.
09-13-2009, 09:19 PM
This looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Something along the lines of "You have bought 10 hats! A new hat is available for purchase in the store". But no hat.

Edit: I realize I am overly concerned about this hat.
09-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkanigon View Post
That looks awesome! reminds me a little of the game "Montezuma's revenge" for some reason.
I forgot about this game. Montezuma's Revenge definitely had the best soundtrack of all time.

Thanks for the positive comments so far. When the game's released I'll be making a second trailer with all new footage, too.
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
This looks awesome.

beta test(ed/ing): Beseiged, Necromancer Rising, Fish Fun, Indestructible Tank, Twilight Golf, Undercroft, Transylvania, Above & Beyond Air Combat, Rune Mage, itunnel 3d, touch ko, robocalypse, arcana, finger physics, and spincrazy
09-13-2009, 10:45 PM
makes me think of this free game I got a while back, astrorope I believe, not a platformer but it shared the rope idea. I like the retro style this will have to be on my radar.

Beta testing:Not currently able to beta test Tested: iPlutoid, Fish Fun, Armor Alley, Underworlds, 33rd DIVISION, Robocalypse: Mobile Mayhem, Earth VS Moon, Cash Machine, Helion, Zenonia, Koala Dartz, iSR, Baseball Slugger: Home Run Race 3D, Crazy Snowboard, Galactic Gunner, Rune Mage, Match3D, Card Ninja, iGangster.
09-14-2009, 03:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to skamando
This looks like some retro glory.

/stoked.

Faves: Saucelifter, Westbang, Eliss, Edge, Tilt to Live, Mindwall, Radial 50, Super Quick Hook, Sword of Fargoal, Carcassone, Trainyard.
Playing: Super Mega Worm, Aqueduct, Monster Dash, FASTAR!, Shining Force, Frogatto, The Incident, Dark Nebula Ep. 2.
09-14-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm glad everyone likes the retro art style. I'll be checking this thread periodically, and I'll update it with any news as the game gets closer to release. We're doing a final week of beta then sending it for approval to the app store.