★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What do you look for in RPG?

View Poll Results: What is most important in RPG?
Story 10 47.62%
Loot 7 33.33%
Graphics 4 19.05%
Hardness 0 0%
Other? Please say what it is if other 8 38.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll
02-01-2015, 01:10 AM
#1
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
What do you look for in Action/Adventure RPG?

Have you guys played games like Zelda, final fantasy, or dungeon crawler games?

What do you LOVE about them and what drives you to finish the game?

Is it the story? the gameplay? the graphics?
Share your ideas on what makes the BEST action/adventure RPG!

Does difficulty affect your love for the game? Would you play a hard rpg that say would require you to work on the quest MANY times before you progress because its so hard you keep failing?

developer - Crossy Heroes Android), Puzzle Castle Android), Civilization 2048 Android
Survive the Night Android

Last edited by mrm83; 02-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.
02-01-2015, 01:35 AM
#2
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,197
Loot for me. Actually, it's gameplay for me. And among the choices, the loot is a huge part of the gameplay that i love in my favorite RPGs. A huge skill system is also one of my favorite features in RPGs, but this one i prefer more in the turn-based varieties.

02-01-2015, 02:51 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Loot for me. Actually, it's gameplay for me. And among the choices, the loot is a huge part of the gameplay that i love in my favorite RPGs. A huge skill system is also one of my favorite features in RPGs, but this one i prefer more in the turn-based varieties.

Totally agree game/combat systems make and break games. Id recreate this poll bc to me it's the most important thing.
02-01-2015, 03:44 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Philippines
Posts: 1,515
Story then graphics for me
02-01-2015, 06:13 AM
#5
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Ibaraki, Japan
Posts: 904
Other: Numbers going up.
02-01-2015, 06:22 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Musgrave View Post
Other: Numbers going up.
LOL... True. Awesome to see multi-digit lifebars and damage numbers popping up. Valkyrie Profile comes to mind.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
02-01-2015, 08:06 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm83 View Post
Have you guys played games like Zelda, final fantasy, or dungeon crawler games?

What do you LOVE about them and what drives you to finish the game?

Is it the story? the gameplay? the graphics?
Share your ideas on what makes the BEST RPG!
I do not classify Zelda or Dungeon Crawlers as RPGs. RPG as a term in itself isn't terribly helpful because it covers a wide spectrum of games. It probably is more helpful to think of the term - and other terms for classifying games - as a position of adjustable sliders that one can move from one end of a range to another. Hence, Zelda's sliders are positioned more to the Action Adventure genre than RPG.

Some of the key features of RPGs are present in many other genres e.g. levelling up [character development], equipment [loot], etc. However, I'd argue that these features are incidental as opposed to fundamental. IMO character development is less about a bunch of numbers increasing, and more about your character's journey and personal development throughout the game.

One of the strongest features of RPGs - not exclusive to the genre - is the narrative, and how your character and all the other characters that you meet are woven into the tapestry.

What I do appreciate is that games are much more fluid than they were in their nascent period in the 80s. The seminal Half-Life in '98 is at heart a FPS - yet completely transformed the genre through the narrative and story development, and how the narrative was woven into the actual game.
02-01-2015, 08:56 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
So for loot..

What do you guys think is better of the following..

Random loot but mainly same items with different stats. For example, there are 5 weapon types, but each weapon type will have random different stats.
(so every weapon fells fresh even though its the same item, it gives a sense of looking forward to the next drop with ultimate stats)

or

Random loot without different stats but the ability to upgrade them. For example, there are 5 weapon types, but you have the ability to buy enchant scrolls to improve it? (so it gives it a sense of ownership, you upgraded/crafted your weapon and is making it better by collecting scrolls)

Number..
When you guys mention numbers.. so it is actually more appealing when the damage text is in the thousand range vs tens range? i.e... 9999 dmg, 1231 dmg, vs 1 dmg, 8 dmg..
Why is that though? Isn't it more fun if your character has manageable HPs? I mean if your character hp is going into the thousands, doesn't it complicate things? or is that the cool factor?

developer - Crossy Heroes Android), Puzzle Castle Android), Civilization 2048 Android
Survive the Night Android

Last edited by mrm83; 02-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.
02-01-2015, 09:00 AM
#9
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
So I would assume to you, the most important thing about RPG is development then right? Having a good story, a linkage between your character and its world. Making you feel a part of the surrounding while playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riotgirl View Post
I do not classify Zelda or Dungeon Crawlers as RPGs. RPG as a term in itself isn't terribly helpful because it covers a wide spectrum of games. It probably is more helpful to think of the term - and other terms for classifying games - as a position of adjustable sliders that one can move from one end of a range to another. Hence, Zelda's sliders are positioned more to the Action Adventure genre than RPG.

Some of the key features of RPGs are present in many other genres e.g. levelling up [character development], equipment [loot], etc. However, I'd argue that these features are incidental as opposed to fundamental. IMO character development is less about a bunch of numbers increasing, and more about your character's journey and personal development throughout the game.

One of the strongest features of RPGs - not exclusive to the genre - is the narrative, and how your character and all the other characters that you meet are woven into the tapestry.

What I do appreciate is that games are much more fluid than they were in their nascent period in the 80s. The seminal Half-Life in '98 is at heart a FPS - yet completely transformed the genre through the narrative and story development, and how the narrative was woven into the actual game.

developer - Crossy Heroes Android), Puzzle Castle Android), Civilization 2048 Android
Survive the Night Android
02-01-2015, 09:39 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,494
World exploration; it's really satisfying when there is a giant varied overworld to interact with or cavernous dungeons filled with twists, turns, and secrets. Narrative is important but it's got to be steeped in atmosphere/envronment such that you can wonder around trying to compile the story and figure out where to go next in the quest (or take sidequests).